News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

optimum hardware configuration

Started by 400guy, Sat, 22 Mar 2014 23:40

400guy

As it seems that the release of PSX is somewhere in the foreseeable future now, I wonder is one of the current testers would give some comments on what they would consider to be an optimum hardware configuration.

How to set up the computer(s) and displays for the best result, and how capable (fast) they need to be.

I'd like to start planning for PSX !

jj

Hardy Heinlin

My reference during the PSX development has been an iMac with ...

Intel Core 2 Duo - 2.93 GHz
On 1920 x 1200 pixels

Frame rate is 30 to 72 fps.

It may drop to 30 fps when many instruments are displayed and are zoomed in, and turbulence or wild aerobatics require many and quick graphic updates in all sections of the displays. In normal flight and normal real-life zoom settings, it typically tends to 72 fps.

On my new iMac, with ...

3.2 GHz Intel Core i5
On 2560 x 1440 pixels

... I get a nearly constant 68 fps in all flight phases.

Cheers,

|-|ardy

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Remember, you can run one PSX core per networked computer and have it generate only the display you need on that computer. Since the display eats the bulk of the CPU power, you can select how much CPU goes where by playing with displays. If you generate a stamp-sized display of just the left speaker volume knob of the left ACP, your PSX will run merrily at 72 FPS on a 1 GHz old box and still provide everything you need to other display boxes that run their own slaved PSX.

Hoppie

ralfi75

Actually, I am in front of the same question...

Thanks Hardy for the iMac info, will probably also think about this one because they have great screen resolutions without the Retina issue (my current iMac is from 2007).

However, as far as the new iMacs do not have built in optical drives (cd-r, dvd), could that be an issue for installation/usage of the software and would it require an additional external drive?

cheers

Ralf

Hardy Heinlin

I use Apple's external DVD drive on the new iMac.

PSX installation is no problem. You can copy the DVD on another computer or drive, and then copy it to the iMac via USB or network -- if you have no external DVD drive for the new iMac.

The PSX installation will be simple and platform independent. No Windows specific stuff, no Mac specific stuff, no Linux specific stuff. No uninstaller stuff. It's all in one clean and encapsulated island in the computer. Platform independent.

Cheers,

|-|ardy

John Golin

John Golin.
www.simulatorsolutions.com.au