News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Seats & Classes in a 747

Started by CarlBB, Mon, 3 Mar 2014 21:59

CarlBB

Hi All,

I guess this question not limited to a 747 but I have some actual figures for the 747....

I note that some BA equipped 747s (e.g. CIVO) has around 291 seats whereas some (CIVN) are around 335. Some Virgin Atlantic 747s are upwards of 450!

First thought - do the planes with fewer seats have some extra capacity to maybe carry more cargo? Perhaps that was a naive question but looking at it another way, they (BA in this case) may typically fly these planes on routes where there are opportunities to carry more cargo?

In the case of Virgin Atlantic perhaps the aim is just to carry more people? e.g. looking at G-VAST and the routes flown in Feb, looks like her bread and butter is made going to hot places - so maybe more people and less cargo?

I think what I'm really asking is would the ZFW on these planes - assuming a normal day - vary widely just because the operator A has decided that plane A will carry fewer passengers than operator B's plane B which is carrying more pax?

Thanks

Carl

Richard McDonald Woods

Hi Carl,

My guess would be that a given airline would not alter the space (layout) given to cargo. Instead, the density of seating may differ.

In the end, it's only the ZFW that matters, whether people or freight.
Cheers, Richard

John H Watson

QuoteFirst thought - do the planes with fewer seats have some extra capacity to maybe carry more cargo?

To a degree, yes. However, if the aircraft is fitted with lots of First and Business Class seats, the weight of these seats may offset, to a degree, the weight saving. These seats usually have motors, motor control boxes and drive mechanisms (for the recline function, foot rests, privacy screens and in some cases, massaging units). They also have soundproofed shrouds, larger video screens, laptop power supplies, etc.

Sometimes the design of the devices fitted to these luxury seats goes completely against the principles of weight saving and safety. One airline has a hand-held alloy seat/video controller which weighs so much, it would probably become a health hazard during an accident (or in severe turbulence).  :shock:

CarlBB

Thanks for the replies!