News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Java & Retina Displays

Started by Steve H, Sat, 8 Feb 2014 02:45

744kid

Many thanks, fc. That sounds very promising.  :D

On a separate but related issue, I paid the $4 yesterday to download QuickRes but no download link was provided in return. Emails to the seller have thus far gone unanswered. Hopefully just a temporary glitch.  :(

While waiting for that download I have found another app which seems to do the same thing: RDM (Retina DisplayMenu).

Update: Finally received QuickRes. Looks similar in function to RDM. Either one will probably do the trick.

Now getting very excited at the prospect of running PSX on my Retina Macbook Pro! :)

Kurt

Hmm isn't this sort of breaking news? -  It seems to me that it actually makes all the issues with running PSX on retina screen equipped MacBooks obsolete? (as long as you run the utility)

Just installed the free Display Menu program as mentioned above and it works like a charm.

Can't test it on PSX for obvious reasons  :mrgreen:

BR

Kurt
Best regards
Kurt

farrokh747

Kurt, Ive tried the standard resolutions using QuickRez (5usd!) and it works great...(some notes in my previous post) -   Ill try it with Display Menu and confirm as well - let me know if there are other display apps i can test....

744kid  -  that is strange, the download like appeared as soon as i paid the 5$ -

fc

744kid

Quote from: farrokh747744kid  -  that is strange, the download like appeared as soon as i paid the 5$

fc - The problem was that I paid via PayPal and there's no automatic delivery mechanism so I had to wait a couple of days for the app provider to answer my email. All fine but it was a bit irritating not receiving any response for a while.

744kid

fft82

Great news, PSX will look amazing in Retina!, can you guys post a screenshot?

Hardy Heinlin

QuotePSX will look amazing in Retina!
Retina resolutions still don't work correctly with PSX. QuickRez causes the Retina screen to "show" a standard resolution, and only that standard resolution will work.

|-|

744kid

HH, Perhaps extra clarity is required. Rather than saying "Do not use Retina resolutions" - which may be misread by some as meaning do not use retina computers - perhaps it would be better to put in your specifications "Computers with retina displays can only be used with non-retina standard resolutions". Or "Do not use retina resolutions. PSX should, however, run on computers with retina displays in non-retina resolution modes".

744kid

farrokh747

hi 747kid -

Users should note that the test results are from my one laptop, config stated in my earlier post - we're all assuming that this holds true for all retina display macs, which in theory it should....  as most crew on the beta team are non-mac-retina, there are not that many systems we can check it on - afaik, my laptop is the one testbed so far....

fc

Kurt

I volunteer to test it on my retina equipped MacBook pros then  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:
Best regards
Kurt

744kid

Two volunteers are better than one :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

fft82

3 better than 2! ;)

I think the last option I'm going to try will be running Windows on the MBP. Windows doesn't care if its HiDPI or not (I mean the driver will not mess with scaling), it will just display PSX at full resolution 2560x1600 (13' MBP). If performance is not an issue, I'm going to use VMWARE, and disable scaling inside it.

cavaricooper

Headed to Apple to purchase a new MBP 15 (can't resist the refresh).... Farrokh et al- just confirming that the display app will work to re-size retina display to work with PSX?

Ta!

C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

cavaricooper

Ok, writing this on a new MBP 15....  Downloaded RDM and played around with the resolution changes- seems relatively painless.  Perhaps someone smarter than I can expound further on the "retina" display of 1440 x 900 (HiDPI) and the available 2650 x 1600 (or higher) resolutions I now find available to me?  Am I correct that while "Retina" is lower resolution than even 1080p, there are 4 times the pixels pushed into the same "square" so that the "picture is... clearer, crisper (but not really "sharper")?  Or am I just horribly confused?  

Perhaps it's my old tired eyes, but I rather like text etc. at the "Apple Retina" 1440 x 900 and I'm sure I will revel in PSX displayed in all its glory at 2650 x 1600.... on the MBP.  On my primary flight computer, I'm limited to 1080p (but at 65").  To further complicate things I have another non-retina MBP. a non-retina MBA and another PC running at 1080p.

Reading Pierre's posts, all these will allegedly co-exist happily, further aided by displays on my iPads..... the possibilities are mind numbing... and I for one would be most grateful for some visual aids re. setting and sizing of the various displays.

In that horrid time where information is flowing but hands on experience still is a ways away- waiting is the hardest part ;)

C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

farrokh747

QuoteFarrokh et al- just confirming that the display app will work to re-size retina display to work with PSX?

cavaricooper, works fine on my MPB, config as noted earlier....  note, I'm using quickres...

Quotebut I rather like text etc. at the "Apple Retina" 1440 x 900 and I'm sure I will revel in PSX displayed in all its glory at 2650 x 1600.

You cannot use the HiDPI settings available in the list with PSX, as it throws up the issues described ....  low frame rates, and some graphic loss....  you have to use the settings from the Standard list....  

Quoteusing the "Best For Retina/1440x900" in standard mode works fine....
from my earlier post - to clarify, what I meant was using the 1440x900 in Standard mode works great...

cheers...

fc

cavaricooper

Farrokh-

Thanks for your response!  If I now understand correctly, you are just converting from 1440 x 900 "Retina" to 1440 x 900 standard?  

As an aside, I wonder how many notice a huge difference either way for "normal" laptop computing..... will test further and decide for myself (and yes, this part of the topic is probably best asked on a Mac forum) but I also wonder what resolution most MBP15 owners are using their displays?

Obviously, the more graphics oriented, the more likelihood of higher than "standard" Retina of 1440 x 900.  I seem to like 1680 x 1050 (HiDPI) best... for now...

C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

farrokh747

QuoteIf I now understand correctly, you are just converting from 1440 x 900 "Retina" to 1440 x 900 standard?

Thats correct....  

QuoteGoing above 2880x1800 causes issues even in the standard range - but it is unlikely that one would need to go that high anyway -

from my earlier post.....

Kurt

Hi all.

Just my 2 cents:

I have a new MacBook Pro 13,3 with Retina and I still have to see any issues with PSX yet..

PSX runs NATIVE RETINA absolutely fine on my setup with frame rates between 30 and 72 fps. I haven't found any artifacts in the graphics or other mishaps...

Only difference is the little bar below the FPS counter blinks a lot more purple than my other PC's (forgot what that indicates, - maybe someone can tell? )

I am NOT saying that Retina issues are not there, - ONLY that it seems to work fine on my setup.
Best regards
Kurt

farrokh747

Hi Flygenring - thats great news, can you post your MBP specs and OS version?

Im still seeing it on mine...

fc

Kurt

Quote from: farrokh747Hi Flygenring - thats great news, can you post your MBP specs and OS version?

Im still seeing it on mine...

fc

Hi

Its the newest Macbook Pro 13.3 inch Model A1502 2.5 Ghz I5, 8Gb Ram and SSD disk.

I do see the 1 FPS as mentioned elsewhere but only for the first couple of seconds after PSX is started.

What issues do you see on your Mac?
Best regards
Kurt

cavaricooper

Running PSX at 2560 x 1440 (non HiDPI) at 67fps.  Latest MBP 15.  Get RDM- it's FREE and totally brilliant.

C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA