News:

Precision Simulator update 10.175 (29 May 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Miami insurance companies tighten their discount requirements

Started by Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers, Sat, 4 May 2013 13:44

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

It is well known that in the Miami area, car insurance rates are triple those elsewhere. Apparently there are so many bad drivers and fraudulent claims over here that the insurance companies had to (or better, could) increase the monthly payments to ridiculous levels. Of course there is stiff competition but this does not at all lead to lower rates. Most insurance companies even don't want to accept us as customers since we have not been living here for more than two years yet.

Their latest invention to claim that they actually offer safe drivers discounts also borders on the ridiculous. I know the technology has been available for a while, but installing these things just to prove it was not your fault that a SUV driven by a telephoning person took off the rear end of your car goes a bit far.

Miami auto insurance rates expected to drop through new requirements

Phil Bunch

They're advocating GPS tracker installations for cars in Maine where I live.  Apparently they will track your speed and locations, and if they approve of your activities and driving, the enticement is to get a small rate reduction in exchange for allowing them to permanently monitor and log your driving and locations.  Fortunately, it wasn't much of a discount and I chose to ignore this nonsense.  It's bad enough to have everything on the internet intensely tracking everything we do and say!

I wonder if there are "zip code discounts" available in Miami?  Perhaps you can be considered a better risk if you live in a decent neighborhood?

Somehow we've allowed corporations to take over and at least partially damage almost every aspect of human life in the US, including our government agencies and law makers.  It doesn't seem like this bizarre experiment is working too well, but so far no one has figured out how to reverse it.  The operating algorithm is "one dollar, one vote", I believe.
Best wishes,

Phil Bunch