News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Jade Cargo B744 at Seoul

Started by farrokh747, Mon, 15 Apr 2013 15:56

farrokh747

http://avherald.com/h?article=41837482/0000

couple of points here i dont understand -

QuoteAfter touchdown, when the captain was operating the reversers, because the No. 4 forward thrust lever had been moved forward out of the full retarded position while not being recognized by the flight crew, the No.4 reverse thrust lever was unable to be raised, right after that, the No. 4 forward thrust lever was moved again to the maximum position while not being recognized by the flight crew, generating a greater asymmetric thrust, and as the result, the aircraft rapidly ran off the runway to the left.

Quote7. The TO/GA switch can not be operated on the ground, so even if the captain pushed it by a mistake in the process of pushing down the reverse thrust levers, the forward thrust lever cannot go up to the maximum position with the autothrottle operating.

surely #2 is not correct?

FC

John H Watson

#1) There is a mechanical interlock preventing a reverse lever being lifted if the respective forward thrust lever is not at the idle stop. With the #4 reverser lever still down, advancing that (forward) lever just produces forward thrust (hence the asymmetry)

#2) Not sure what they're trying to say here, but the A/T is disabled when the reversers are deployed and will not become enabled until a certain time period has elapsed after the reverse levers are stowed. Normal TO/GA takeoff is dependent on flap position, so a combination of some/all of these factors may be at play.

Rgds
JHW

John H Watson

P.S.
QuoteNo anomaly was identified with the thrust levers and it is assumed that the captain held all 4 thrust levers. It is difficult to think that the movement of the #4 lever from 35 to 43.8 degrees was caused by loose friction of the thrust lever or loose tension of the cable.

There are no cables on a 744, so we can disregard that completely  :mrgreen:

farrokh747

thanks john -  wondering why the #4 lever went to max though....

John Golin

Didn't analyse in detail, but maybe when stowing the reversers for 1-3 at 80kts he pushed 4 throttle forward... if #4 it was not back at idle  it may have been enough forward of the stop and hence more in line with deployed reverser levers on 1-3.... enough for him to (strangely) push it forward.

Whatever happened it sounds EXACTLY like the sort of thing I'd do - See?! I could be an airline captain!!!! (albeit freight).
John Golin.
www.simulatorsolutions.com.au

John Golin

John Golin.

Phil Bunch

Quote from: John GolinI should add, I like this one....

Report: Korean B744 over Irish Sea on Jan 17th 2012, hot cows

I suspect this is an explanation, from a reader's comments (grins):

"Common knowledge, cow flatulence(digestion gas) is made up of 99% methane. I wonder if this slightly higher concentration is able to trigger the sensors? ;)"
Best wishes,

Phil Bunch

John H Watson

It's not uncommon for the cargo fire test to fail on Freighters. It's probably more a case of excess moisture in the air condensing on the light emitters and light sensors in the smoke detectors. Cows in confined quarters will be generating a lot of fluids (urine, exhaled moisture, etc).

False fires, though, probably require a lot more provocation. The air "contamination" has to be so dense that it reflects light.

John Golin

Geez! One from today...

http://www.avherald.com/h?article=460db38a&opt=0

"Accident: Aeromexico B762 at Madrid on Apr 16th 2013, tail strike on takeoff"

Understatement of the year if you ask me...

John Golin.