News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

PSX Instructor: Mac and Vista

Started by Hardy Heinlin, Sun, 23 Aug 2009 01:14

Will

Okay, then.... what about "refuel" and "defuel" options, where the desired quantity of fuel gets uploaded (or removed) in the actual amount of time that it really takes to load the aircraft?  Perhaps the loading could be accomplished via ACARS.  Just a thought.
Will /Chicago /USA

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

How much %MAC is PSX?

*Hic*  (too much wine)

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: Will CronenwettOkay, then.... what about "refuel" and "defuel" options, where the desired quantity of fuel gets uploaded (or removed) in the actual amount of time that it really takes to load the aircraft?
Perhaps.

How long does it take?

By the way, you can also fill or defuel each tank through the network. Every variable which can be stored in a situation file can also be read and written via network – no matter if the new value comes from a client or a server.

Cheers,

|-|ardy

Shiv Mathur

Okay, shoot me if I'm wrong, but I'm beginning to worry that
we may be distracting Hardy with geegaws and trifles.

Cheers,
Shiv

torrence

Quote from: Shiv MathurOkay, shoot me if I'm wrong, but I'm beginning to worry that
we may be distracting Hardy with geegaws and trifles.

One person's trifle is another's critical feature  ;) .  But Hardy is right to remind us that not every conceivable way of using PSX has to be built into the basic platform.  A lot of add-on creativity in PS1 comes from things hooked up to Broker, and PSX is being designed with networking in mind from the start.  If a user gets their thrills from recreating the entire fueling process in real time, sitting on the truck and watching the gauges change, they can produce an add-on like Tug.  I could imagine competitive WorldFlight style races where real-time is enforced and efficiency in the 'pit stops'  is needed to win!

Cheers,
Torrence
Cheers
Torrence

John Davis PC

QuoteWorldFlight style races

Knowing my luck UK Worldlfight would be hit by a spring falling off Qantas 25 !  ;)

Peter Sagar

Quote from: John Davis PCKnowing my luck UK Worldlfight would be hit by a spring falling off Qantas 25 !  ;)

Aussie revenge for the Ashes   :twisted:

PS
Excalibur Beechcraft driver.

\"Cry havoc! And let slip the dogs of war.\"

delcom

Quote from: Hardy HeinlinThe stab trim slider has a special function. It's there simply because the stab trim rate is so slow when controlled by the trim switches.

So this slider is already limited between 0.25-14.75 units or degrees, isn't it.

cheers,
delcom

Hardy Heinlin

The Instructor sets the actual surface angle, independent of the aircraft electronics.

The Instructor is the boss of the sim universe. What is set on the Instructor, is a fact. What the avionics do or show, may be facts or errors.

E.g. if you set on the Instructor the UTC of the sim universe, the pilot clocks and the earth's time are being set to the desired new time. Still, the pilots can set a different time on their clocks, or pull CBs to unpower the clocks. The pilot clocks do not change the earth's position. The earth's position can only be changed on the Instructor.

The stab trim system may fail or lock certain inputs and have certain maxima, but the Instructor has the final word on the actual physical stab angle.

As far as I understand it, the physical stab range is 0 to 15. Not reachable by the trim switches, but physically possible.

Cheers,

|-|ardy

Qavion

In ALTN Stab trim mode, the stab is only limited by the limit switches on the Stabiliser. If these limit switches fail in the closed position, then the stab will run to the physical stops (0 and 15). Highly unlikely, but not impossible. The striker arms on both switches would have to fail.

Rgds.
Q>

delcom

I like the idea of having the stab trim slider in unit of degrees on the instructor's page. However it seems you have mixed up the stab angular displacement (degrees) with pilot units. The good news is, that 1 pilot unit of stab trim equivalent to 1 degree of stab angle. Stabilizer ANGLE (the zero degree) is measured from a reference neutral position which is already 3 UNITS of stab trim. Therefore:

0 units = +3.00 degrees (stab leading edge up)
3 units = 0.00 degrees (neutral)
6 units = -3.00 degrees (stab leading edge down)
9 units = -6.00 (down)
12 units = -9.00 (down)
and finally 15 units of stab trim would be -12.00 degrees down.

If you don't want to mess with that slider anymore, all you need to modify is the label of it. (Should read units instead of degrees).

Keep up the good work,
delcom

[EDIT] The bad news is, that my airline is gettin' rid of the 744's in a few years, too. Maybe it's time to look for an other playground some place else.

Hardy Heinlin

Right, thanks, I'll correct that.

(After all, there must be a reason why they avoid the word "degrees".)

Cheers,

|-|ardy

delcom

And which one are you gonna go for after all? As I already mentioned I wouldn't mind to see the DEGREE layout. Gives a bit of (EICAS) maintenance (PAGE) feeling to it.

regards,
delcom

Hardy Heinlin

Not sure.

If it's in units, it's easier for the aviators.

If it's in degrees, it nicely demonstrates the relation between units and degrees.

Make a switch? No.

By the way, in case someone will use a microscope: The stab trim indicator scale on the PSX flight deck is not linear (according to the real thing), while that on the Instructor is linear (these slider modules allow linear scales only).

|-|

wings53476

I should have been more clear on the instructor station. What I wanted to find out would you be able to position the aircraft on a 10 final to a runway at say 3000' 180 kts then release the sim. to shoot the app.

Holger Wende

Quote from: wings53476I should have been more clear on the instructor station. What I wanted to find out would you be able to position the aircraft on a 10 final to a runway at say 3000' 180 kts then release the sim. to shoot the app.
That important feature was available PS1 already. I am absolutley sure a very similar feature (and many more) will be available in PSX as well.

Holger