News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

PS1.3A Nav Data

Started by 74pilot, Mon, 17 Aug 2009 09:22

Hardy Heinlin

The next PS update is PSX.

Cheers,

|-|ardy

Pesach

Quote from: Hardy HeinlinThe next PS update is PSX.

Just clarifying: this statement includes potential navdata "updates" as well, right?  ;)

On another topic: Hardy, I was wondering if I can ask you a question re PS offline. Is there any way to do that? I don't see a way to send a private message via the forum  :?

Best Regards,
--Pesach (KJFK)

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: PesachJust clarifying: this statement includes potential navdata "updates" as well, right?  ;)
Perhaps.

Quote from: PesachOn another topic: Hardy, I was wondering if I can ask you a question re PS offline.
If it's about PS, you can ask this on the forum, I don't mind. If it's business related, you can mail me next year :-)

Cheers,

|-|ardy

Pesach

Ok. I'll ask, as it is definitely PS-related  ;)

First of all, I would like to thank you (and Hoppie!) for the help and suggestions regarding company route/via file generation for PS1.3.

I've managed to understand, as well as successfully read, the .rou, .via, and 747I.D/747F.D file formats. I was thinking: I'm always looking for a faster way to auto-generate up to date company routes for my personal use on PS13. Which led me to consider creating and sharing a free web service available to the entire PS13 community, hosted on my site, that would do just that. I figure this is the least I can do to give back to a community that has enriched my aviation simulation experience so much.

Still in the brainstorming stages, but the service would essentially take a text flight plan (format not yet determined, perhaps a literal copy-paste from publicly available tracking site results such as flightaware) and would generate .rou and .via files to download. The service would  confirm/authenticate the user as a PS13 user prior to actually doing the deed (not yet sure what would be considered good authentication/authorization for these purposes, but I guess that can be discussed).

Now, assuming that idents and coordinates in the .rou and .via files need not be in the PS database, I can drive the service with updated waypoints coordinates, etc. from current AIRAC data. And no, I currently have no way to get AIRAC data.

If AIRAC data is not available, I will be more than happy to extract and populate my service's database with the last airac cycle available within PS (I think it was 0511), or even the original database in PS. This would all, of course, be with your permission.

Anyway, just thinking out loud. I know such a service would be useful to me, but was wondering if it would be useful enough to others to justify its public existence?

Best Regards,
Pesach (KJFK)

Hardy Heinlin

Well, the rou and via files are PS1.3 specific. I don't think I'll be using them in PSX, don't know yet how they will look like in PSX.

As for the nav database: Sorry, that's copyright protected ($) and may be accessed only within a running PSX, i.e. nav database hacking is not permitted.

Sorry!

Best wishes,

|-|ardy

Pesach

Hi Hardy -

I'm only looking to make the company route generator service available for PS1.3 users. Wouldn't want to include PSX at all (unless it is otherwise suggested that I do).

As for the AIRAC navdata, I completely understand. I remember when DAFIF data was available to the public, but I know that it is not anymore. I truly wish there was a way to get current AIRAC navdata from somewhere.

On a promising note: I've just discovered today that X-Plane provides a cobbled version of their own "AIRAC" navdata equivalent under the GPL license with data reuse and redistribution being allowed (http://data.x-plane.com/), so I may use them to periodically update the database that will drive the service.

The question is: if I were to offer the free company route generator service for PS13 users, would it be an issue? I will definitely not create the service if it infringes upon any rights/licenses.

Best Regards,
-- Pesach (KJFK)

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: PesachThe question is: if I were to offer the free company route generator service for PS13 users, would it be an issue?

Not at all. You can generate via and rou files for PS1.3 as you like. You may even sell them :-)

No problem. Thank you for your interest!

Cheers,

|-|ardy

Pesach

Hardy -
Thank you. I will definitely keep this forum posted on progress!

Best Regards,
Pesach (KJFK)

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Pesach: aren't you in some way going to re-invent the wheel? There are quite a few packages out there, online and offline, that do what you want to build again, and some of them already export to PS1 file format.

Jeroen

Pesach

Hi Jeroen, you do have a very good point. I do feel like what I'm planning to create is extremely close to what is available out there.

This task originally grew out of my frustration with not having a flight planner on ubuntu capable of exporting current flightplans (read: based on current AIRAC cycles) to PS13. I also wanted a way to quickly convert published plans (such as those that appear on flightaware) to PS13 so I can just enter the flightdeck and have it available. I was originally going to just whip up a quick service for my personal use, to be run locally on my laptop, purely for convenience sake. But I figured I'd make it public if others found it useful.

The existing packages I'm aware of don't fit the need (a very precise one, I have to admit). However, I must add that ALL of these are very exceptional and comprehensive packages:

PS1AirQ: only visualizes the current DB in PS13, and runs on ubuntu via wine
FSBuild2: does have occasional AIRAC updates, and exports to PS13, but does not work on ubuntu via wine/crossover
PS1Fplan: xls-based planner that does not work on ubuntu via wine/crossover
RoutePlan: Closest to what I'm looking for, and it does run on wine...but there is no way to copy/paste a current flightplan, and the database would need to be updated to the latest cycle to support waypoints found in current flightplans

Perhaps these packages can all run on ubuntu, or can actually do what I need, and I'm just not aware of how to properly use them? That is definitely possible. I really do NOT want to reinvent the wheel! If there are packages out there that do what I need, please let me know! :)

Best Regards,
Pesach (KJFK)

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Aha, I had missed the Ubuntu keyword! This certainly is a good reason to cook something up. If you do it properly, you may serve the Mac world as well with the same code.

Jeroen

jkitt

G'day, I have added most of the Australian major airports sids/stars to my PS1 navdata for use with Vatsim, my question is can these be shared with other PS1 users and if so which files do we share? Thanks

Hardy Heinlin

Yes, they can be shared.

In PS1 there's a directory called DEPARR. In DEPARR are further subdirectories for individual airports.

E.g. there's a subdirectory called YSSY in which the SID/STAR/Approach files for YSSY are stored.

These subdirectories can be shared.

Cheers,

|-|ardy

Joe Clark

Is there any way Navigraph data can be "converted" to PS1 such as the way the Leonardo SH Maddog has a program that converts the PMDG navdata?

Hardy Heinlin

Navigraph, according to their contract, is not allowed to support academic or professional flight simulations.

Edit: Isn't that illegal, "conversion" from a commercial product? (Well, it's not my business, just curious.)

jkitt

Hardy, thanks for the reply.

I have also added to navdata 0511 all fixes required for the sids/stars I have added.

Is it possible to copy them to another ps1 with 0511 installed?

Thanks mate.
Jeff

Hardy Heinlin

I think it's possible, but I'm not the maker of navdata 0511, that's probably Markus Vitzethum.

Cheers,

|-|ardy

Mandjare

Hello guys, excuse me for reopen this older thread but I need some help. I´m searching a long time for the little tool called

"TweakOVR-ee4" from Ivan Ngeow.

It would be great if someone of our community could give a link or send me this via mail. Thanks in advance !

André

Garry Richards

Hi Andre,

I came across this app a few days ago while searching my archives for something else. I will try to locate it again and make it available through this thread.
Garry

Mandjare

Hello Garry, that would be great ! Thank you