News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

PS1.3A Nav Data

Started by 74pilot, Mon, 17 Aug 2009 09:22

Holger Wende

Quote from: GCIVP...what airports are included...
There are a lot  :)
After installation of the NAVDATA update you will find
   /DEPARR//filelist.txt
describing all departures, arrival routes and approaches for each airport.

Additionally I found in my PS1 installation
  /Airport-Changes.txt
  /Airport-New.txt
which might have been created by the update, too. But I am not sure with these two files, but both are dated 2005.

It should be easy to create an archive with just the collection of all these *.txt files.

Regards, Holger

GCIVP

QuoteAfter installation of the NAVDATA update you will find
/DEPARR//filelist.txt
describing all departures, arrival routes and approaches for each airport.
Excellent! That's the sort of info I'd be after.
Many thanks Holger.

Frank

Phil Bunch

Quote from: Hardy Heinlin
Quote from: opherbenFor PSX it would be advantageous to incorporate Navigraph data updates. [...] I can't really understand such detailed products and enthusiastic flying utilizing 3 year old data, especially unhelpful online.
Navigraph is certainly a good option.

Ten years ago, when PS1.3 was developped, there was no such data source, unfortunately. Quasi-monopolist Mikrosoft made an exclusive contract with quasi-monopolist Jeppesen so that other sim developpers got no access anymore – well, almost: I got it from Swissair then.

|-|

Also, as if the MS situation weren't enough, Jeppesen has been reported to have a significant role in the "extraordinary rendition" and torture of people by the US government.  I gather this role and the activity continues, with the cooperation of at least some European and other countries.  The Canadian government recently made a financial settlement with one of its citizens who was inappropriately taken from a US airport terminal to Syria (I think) and imprisoned and tortured for months.  The Obama administration blocked his US lawsuit, based on my often imperfect memory.

The "New Yorker" magazine first reported the story about Jeppesen:

www.newyorker.com/talk/content/061030ta_talk_mayer

Also see wikipedia's articles on Jeppesen - scroll down a bit to see the section on their role.  The ACLU (American Civil Liberties Union) tried to press a civil lawsuit about this, but the US government stopped it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeppesen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohamed_et_al._v._Jeppesen_Dataplan,_Inc.

We seem to live in an imperfect world...
Best wishes,

Phil Bunch

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

The typical semi or full secrecy that surrounds commercial company operations for competitive reasons obviously comes in handy in other situations as well. There is a reason why some services are better kept public even if this lack of competition may lead to less efficient operations. Of course, keeping an operation secret does no good for the cost either -- open competition is required.

"Wonderful" how brute-force free market pushers immediately turn to a no-competition monopoly approach as soon as this becomes convenient and money is no issue.

Zinger

Phil and all,
sorry to divert from the post, but my eye caught something and I'd like to comment.
To say it gently, you have no idea, not only about the quoted subejct, but also whatever is happenning in basements near you, and since I know first hand, I'll tel you the headlines. A culture has taken up militant steps aimed to destroy human society as we know it. They are already everywhere, easy in a free and liberal world. You try thinking one moment of hindering the effort to stop or even slow it, and you personally will find yourself and your offgsprings getting either circumsized or beheaded before you know it. Want more?

Quote from: Phil BunchJeppesen has been reported to have a significant role in the "extraordinary rendition" and torture of people by the US government.  I gather this role and the activity continues, with the cooperation of at least some European and other countries.  The Canadian government recently made a financial settlement with one of its citizens who was inappropriately taken from a US airport terminal to Syria (I think) and imprisoned and tortured for months.  The Obama administration blocked his US lawsuit, based on my often imperfect memory.

The "New Yorker" magazine first reported the story about Jeppesen:

www.newyorker.com/talk/content/061030ta_talk_mayer

Also see wikipedia's articles on Jeppesen - scroll down a bit to see the section on their role.  The ACLU (American Civil Liberties Union) tried to press a civil lawsuit about this, but the US government stopped it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeppesen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohamed_et_al._v._Jeppesen_Dataplan,_Inc.

We seem to live in an imperfect world...
Regards, Zinger

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Let's try to not deviate into this sort of discussions, no matter how important. If you want, please hop over to the Pit for these. Not everybody likes to get into tough real-world politics when they think they visit a 744 forum.

cavaricooper

Hardy:

Another vote for arranging AIRAC updates through NAVIGRAPH- please!

Ta- Carl
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Richard McDonald Woods

and me, please!
Cheers, Richard
Cheers, Richard

Hardy Heinlin

A week ago I asked them if it could be a problem if the simulator is not an MS addon and if the customer base is not restricted to "enthusiasts" – refering to the conditions in their license procedure. – No reply.

Yesterday I asked for a confirmation to be sure my mail didn't land in the spam folder. – No reply.

Perhaps they answer questions only on their forum. I don't know.

Regards,

|-|ardy

cavaricooper

It would be worth following up..........another solution would poss be the data set that FOC (Danur) uses.......they are currently in negotiations also...........

Ta- Carl

PS- I remember reading a post about a PS1 FOC file.......I'd appreciate a copy at cavaricooper@gmail.com
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Zinger

Hardy,
I sent Richard Stefan a message to look for your messages, explaining the context. HTH
Happy Chanukkah and Merry Christmas to all!
Regards, Zinger

Phil Bunch

Quote from: Hardy HeinlinA week ago I asked them if it could be a problem if the simulator is not an MS addon and if the customer base is not restricted to "enthusiasts" – refering to the conditions in their license procedure. – No reply.

Yesterday I asked for a confirmation to be sure my mail didn't land in the spam folder. – No reply.

Perhaps they answer questions only on their forum. I don't know.

Regards,

|-|ardy

Hardy,

Just a thought - perhaps all they really want is an assurance that the data won't be used for navigating real aircraft?  This is my USA-legal system-based interpretation, anyway.  Hope this is helpful.  It's disappointing that they haven't answered your question.  Perhaps a written letter would work better and have a good chance of reaching their management or lawyer?
Best wishes,

Phil Bunch

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

The group over here has plenty of previous communications to Navigraph, I'm sure it will be sorted out in time.

Michel Vandaele

Navigraph is adding many times new FS addon's to their list.
I heard the developpers has to contact Mr Richard Stefan  for their conversion program, as he is the one who is actually dealing with these programs.
But it looks it can take a rather long time before you get a reaction.
Many greetings
Michel
Michel VANDAELE
Board member  FSCB
EBOS Scenery Designteam
My B744 project
http://users.telenet.be/michel.vandaele/sim1.htm

Zinger

Hardy.
Navigraph has a legal problem with non- hobby simulation. Stephen just advised me that he is trying and will be in contact with you but it doesn't look promising.
The FOC Navdata update service cost to me seems prohibitive for the majority of users, unless you buy one or a few a year.
Regards, Zinger

Hardy Heinlin

Thanks, Opher. I have already received a mail from Magnus a few hours ago.

Discussion in progress ...

Regards,

|-|ardy

Pesach

Just curious: Any luck with the discussion?

On another note: what did the original navdata indication on the IDENT page shipped with PS1.3 mean? (I'm referring to the "SR099AW099"). I understand the current AIRAC cycle name format, but not this one. Is that a simulator-specific database ident? Or is that how the airac cycles were named back in 1999?

Best Regards,
Pesach (KJFK)

Hardy Heinlin

No luck with Navigraph, but big luck with another company.

In PS1.3, SR stood for Swissair and AW for Aerowinx.

Cheers,

|-|ardy

Michel Vandaele

Great to hear Hardy, that we will have up to date NAVDATA available in PSX  ;) ;)
Many thanks for all the efforts
Michel
Michel VANDAELE
Board member  FSCB
EBOS Scenery Designteam
My B744 project
http://users.telenet.be/michel.vandaele/sim1.htm

Pesach

Hardy - thank you for the explanation of the navdata identifier. And thank you for the good news re a navdata provider!

One question: will this company's data be used for PS1.3 updates? Or only PSX?

Best Regards,

Pesach (KJFK)