News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

I need PS1.* and I need it now (please)

Started by 74pilot, Sun, 16 Aug 2009 08:57

74pilot

I am transitioning from the 747 Classic to the 747-400, and I saw the PS1.something in use, and that even on a Mac (Using DOSBOX i think it was called).

I want the same, and I want it NOW, but it seems it is sold out, with a new version due in 2010?

Is there anywhere I can buy it now, the current but sold out version, or are there any betas available to test (on Mac OS X)?

As for the current version, I don't mind a used version, as long as I can make it work. I am not interested in manual flying at all, joystick is not important, as all I need is FMS, EFIS, EICAS, AFDS and so on. A download version would be preferred, if available, so I can get it quicker.

Are there any recent NAV databases, if so, when is the latest one dated?

Thank you for your replies

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

If you mail me (hoppie@hoppie.nl) I may be able to help you out. However, the run-it-on-a-Mac-thing may be more complex than you expect. You would need to rely on Forum posts and questions here to get that running, I don't know about it.

Recent nav databases are not available unfortunately, but there are sufficient editing possibilities to configure the database as you want it by adding new navaids and runways where needed. It won't cover the world, but it can cover your test grounds.

74pilot

Thank you, Jeroen, I did, you got it?

stekeller

First of all...

Congrats on getting the 747-400!

Also, I have 2 solutions for a Mac user (like me) to run PS1 (assuming you have it now)

1. Boxer. Very straighforward to install, but seems to have frame rate issues on my machine (and others). Still it's a no cost option so it's worth a try.

http://boxerapp.com/

2. Boot Camp. Assuming you have a newer Intel Mac, if you are not familiar with it, it allows you to dual boot your Mac (don't worry, it's an Apple program) so you can boot up in Windows or Mac OS as you wish. I use it primarily to run MS Flight Simulator and other non-Mac applications. It runs natively so it takes full advantage of your system resources, unlike other options like VMWare Fusion and Parallels. Either way, you have to own an original full version (not upgrade) copy of Windows (your choice of version) - or DOS if you are really hardcore - to install for use with Boot Camp. The end result is a true Windows machine so you can use your Mac just like any other PC clone and run PS1 as HH intended (with all the add-ons, etc. available on the Aerowinx site). This may be a no cost option depending what system software you already have.

Any questions just post.

- Stefan Keller
KORD

74pilot

Thank you, Stefan  ;)

Yes, I am (almost) all set now.

I have VMWare fusion, and do not intend to use bootcamp for various reasons. I use DOSBOX which is free, and I have used it before for some older DOS applications. After just a little bit of tweaking (see below), it runs like a charm, including sound. I am not using any joysticks or other extensions. But I have found I need an external keyboard, otherwise I cannot go to idle after disconnecting the A/T.

Regarding DOSBOX, it seems to support just about any OS, check http://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1

I have a DOSBOX icon in my dock, and I modified the equivalent of autoexec.bat in the DOSBOX settings file to include

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
@echo off
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 T6
mount c ~/dosbox
cycles 10000
c:
cd \\PS13

PS
exit

This can be found in USER->Libraries->Preferences as a DOSBOX config file (save the original if you change it). The "cycles 10000" is inserted to make it run faster. In the root of my hard drive there is a folder named dosbox, hence the mount command (will make it a DOS C: drive). Inside the DOS folder are all my PS files.

When I run PS13 I can even switch from full screen to window, inside normal OS X, using Option-Return. It keeps running, but some of the popup functions will not pop up while in window mode. I can use this to check something in a manual, or with an incoming email, whatever, then back to PS1.3A which is still running, by pressing Option-Return again.

All I really need is an updated NAV database, especially SIDs/STARs and approaches/transitions, and then maybe some kind of way to avoid connecting an external keyboard just to adjust the thrust.

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: 74pilotBut I have found I need an external keyboard, otherwise I cannot go to idle after disconnecting the A/T.

For manual thrust:

Mouse-click and hold on the EICAS N1 bars: L=down, R=up.

Or numpad key 3 and 9.

Or upper row keys 5 and F5.

See manual: "Simulator handling"

|-|

maciekish

Hi,
i have a problem running PS1 in Dosbox/Boxer and was thinking that maybe someone can help out? Unfortunately i made a new thread before finding this one. You can find it here: http://aerowinx.com/forum/topic.php?id=381

Thanks
Maciej