News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

747-400 cockpit project

Started by Blake H, Mon, 17 Sep 2012 09:19

Jeroen D

farrokh747

good job blake!

why aren't you using the original LG lever?

fc

Blake H

Using a 747-8 landing gear panel

the mad hatter

wow blake quite cool I noticed you are going for the dash 8 look , I know where you got that deck from :-)  the LG box gives it away

John H Watson

Blake, just curious...how much were you considering selling the gear lever panel for?

Knowing it has only been handled by white-gloved hands should make it a collectors item  :mrgreen:

It would make a nice retirement present (or "compulsory redundancy" present if you're a Qantas Engineer)  :?

Rgds
JHW

Blake H

I think 300 US dollars is a fair price. I have tested the back lighting only 1 globe needs replacing. The panel is still fully functional. Obviously not in mint condition. I would say good in condition. Gear lever handle, selector switch and dual lens switchlights feel like a rock. A straight out of the factory feel, so mechanically mint.  8)

asboyd

Hi Blake,
The cockpit photos are excellent.
I have not had as much time to spend on my pathetic attempts.

Keep the updates coming. I am also interested in your design for the force feedback controls..... :)

Best regards,
Alex Boyd
Alex Boyd... Sydney, Australia

Blake H

Landing gear is now a backlit display in my show-case with this exact model of the beast  next to it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/BB-Japan-Airlines-JAL-Mickey-B747-Blue-JA8083-/360605100783?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item53f5bd2aef

Google JAL JA8083, photos and videos available.

I will be unloading photos of the cockpit soon.

Things to go

Mounts for control pots
Backlight wx panel
Backlight engrave cursor controller panels.
Airconditioning piping
Instructor station
Visuals
Box at back of cockpit
Up ramp
Software
Then fun time :) (flying)  ;)

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

muha ha ha ha ha software tiny last item :mrgreen:
You forget the documentation   :twisted:

Blake H

Hi Guys,

Well it has been a while since an update with the project, so here is a few pics.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=FEA72FDC9C4884CF!150&authkey=!ANq4ULLkXDimHwk

I was invited to fly a 747 classic. I also took some photos of the computer room. The room was insane, the hardware looks like an old telephone junction.   :shock:

If anyone is in the Crawley England area, I will be here until the 6th. We can meet up for a coffee or something. I will also be heading to Frankfurt German in the next weeks.

Hopefully the next update will be flying the aircraft with visuals. The projectors should be getting installed over the next weeks. The flight control pots are mounted by Gwyn Perrett,  Aerosim solutions.

Pots are power by,

http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=67&products_id=180

All the best

Blake.

:D

Jeroen D

Hi Blake,
Very nice! It must be an incredible task putting these sort of SIMs together. Very impressive

Jeroen

the mad hatter

Hi Blake,

Great build to date, and quick ( this is by far the quickest build I have ever come across starting from a deck): but as you know me by now, if you have not documented this build, and completed it almost per the aircraft.. you are going to be up the creek without a paddle... Might be a good idea to get things down on paper before you forget?

But then you may have already done this

B

PS how did you line up your pots after you removed the originals did you chaps use a flex joint? and did you use same type of pots for tillers, rudders, toe brakes etc? and again how did you match these.. are you doing same for TQ and using the under floor items or have you gutted it and going with an alternative solution ?

Blake H

Good help and support

Aerowinx  members :D  :D  :D

Another builder Greg Hately  :D  :D  :D

Gwyn Perrett Aerosim solution  :D  :D  :D

Dad  :D  :D  :D

And last but not least the misses  :D  :D  :mrgreen:

Well I really started the project back in 2010.

I completed all the panels before the cockpit even arrived, the overhead took 2 years to complete.

I found pivot points on the flight controls, which I then mounted a gear. I then mounted pots on brackets with a smaller gear to cog into the flight control mounted gear. I ratioed the gears to get the full 330 degrees of useful resistance, making the flight control sensitive to small changes. This hopefully will make the sim not feel like a toy and more like the real aircraft.

Everything on the aircraft is simple to troubleshoot a problem with an A1 switch check the A1 line to A1 interface. Something's are self explaining and others like my start switches had to be diagramed. Get a extension for your multi meters you will need them.  :)

Early pics

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=FEA72FDC9C4884CF!187&authkey=!AD5IRKWha0vGaBE

the mad hatter

hi Blake.... Ah Mr Hately  I have a ton of parts sitting here for him, nightmare shipping stuff to Australia ( you have to use the right wood for crates etc) but I think I have that resolved now which should put a smile on his face :-)

Still an impressive build all the same did you use gas struts for feel?

Blake H

Yes a combo of gas and springs

Blake H

A little update of the progress.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=FEA72FDC9C4884CF%21189

Notice the transportation legs under the sim can come off  :)  :)

Richard McDonald Woods

Looking mighty impressive, Blake!

Cheers, Richard
Cheers, Richard

Blake H

Hi Guys,

I have been looking all over the internet for photos of the 747-400 cockpit emergency torches.

Any idea of location and number?

Blake
:?

John H Watson

Blake, it's probably up to the customer to specify the number and location of the torches. However, I'm sure minimum numbers are specified by regulatory bodies.

We have a mix of different types of torches. The standard orange torches with D (?) cells are mounted in Boeing brown boxes with fine copper lockwire and lead seals. The other type torches are in dedicated open holders and use non-rechargeable battery packs. These types turn on when removed from their holders. The latter type have a flashing LED which flashes every few seconds to indicate the state of the batteries.

My only involvement with the torches is to relockwire them if they have been disturbed and to replace the batteries as necessary, according to Technical Logbook reports. Because the standard D cell type torches have no charge status, if the torch has been disturbed, we are obliged to change the batteries.

From memory, there is one standard torch mounted vertically on the back of the captain's oxy box and another mounted behind the F/O's seat (on the 1st Observers panel assembly). There are a pair of torches mounted horizontally on the rear wall behind the 1st Observer (perhaps at elbow height for a seated observer). There may be others. I'll keep an eye open for them. On other airlines, I may have seen torches mounted on the rear of the pedestal.

Hope this helps
Rgds
JHW

stekeller

Hi Blake:

I have been following your progress with interest. I see that you are making it more "747-8 like."

I have a strong interest in that particular model for another desktop flight simulator (and I have shared that with HH, so no worries). Send me a message sometime (if you wish) so we can discuss it further.

I may have some info that could be of use to you.

Sincerely
- Stekeller
KORD