News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

PSX on Raspberry Pi?

Started by Richard McDonald Woods, Fri, 13 Apr 2012 17:14

Richard McDonald Woods

Can PSX Java code be compiled for ARMv6? If so, could it run on the Rasperry Pi?
See http://www.raspberrypi.org/
Cheers, Richard

Hardy Heinlin

A Java program is compiled only once and then runs on any platform that has a platform specific Java virtual machine (VM) installed. There are many, I think hundreds, of VMs available for individual platforms and versions.

Google results for Rasperry Pi java say that the current Java 6 is available for the Rasperry.

I'm using Java 6.

But I think the hardware is way too small and too slow to run PSX on it.

Cheers,

|-|ardy

Pandy280677

Raspberry Pi?! Stop! Your making me hungry! :) Ok then, so how about Apple & Blackberry! :D

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

We have successfully run a PSX viewer on these tablets/phones/thingamajigs. For non-critical flight instruments and panels, this is practical. To hand-fly a visual approach on PAPI and runway lights, not so.

Jeroen

frumpy

I think these small computers will be suitable for
homecockpit builders, as they are cheap, small,
quiet and low on power consumation & heat dissipation.

Olli

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Yes, but are they powerful enough to run PSX?

They usually are powerful enough for video playback, so they can be used as displays, but not likely as sim hosts. Video playback though CPU-hungry can immensely benefit from smart hardware, as it is a gazillion times the same operation. It parallels well. PSX sim algorithms aren't nearly as well-suited to hardware accelleration.

The whole network stuff will enable very innovative PSX setups, though.

Jeroen

frumpy

Yes, I meant for secondary tasks in a network,
PSX or MSFS or whatever would run on a faster PC.

Olli

maciekish

Has anyone tried this yet? Could perhaps be used as a "cheap renderer" for a CDU like this http://www.opencockpits.com/catalog/nuevo-b747767-montado-listo-p-397.html?language=en

Hessel Oosten

Hi Maciekish (is that your name ?),

I did my home-build CDU('s) attach to PSX with such a USB to VGA adapter and it functions without any problem.
Since the CDU screen is not demanding at all, no problem with the data-flow.

Here 2 (in the past) on the Leveld767 (with an extra splitter for 2 output screens), but in PSX it's the same (only with regard to the monitor..... ;) .

http://members.chello.nl/~h.oosten/CDUs%20kl.JPG

Hessel

Felix

I finally tried PSX on Raspberry Pi.

I used a Raspberry Pi B Rev. 2 and a Raspberry Pi 2 Model B.
Both with Raspbian.

But unfortunately both stop loading PSX at 31%. I don't know what that means.
Maybe someone has a hint.

Felix

maciekish

If I'm not wrong there is a new Pi with more RAM etc, don't remember the designation but perhaps someone with access to it could try.

Phil Bunch

Quote from: FelixI finally tried PSX on Raspberry Pi.

I used a Raspberry Pi B Rev. 2 and a Raspberry Pi 2 Model B.
Both with Raspbian.

But unfortunately both stop loading PSX at 31%. I don't know what that means.
Maybe someone has a hint.

Felix
Search this forum for the character string    31%

This link provides a possible solution:

http://aerowinx.com/forum/topic.php?post=23641#post23641

I hope this helps.
Best wishes,

Phil Bunch

Felix

Thanks Phil!

But all the 31% errors had one thing in common. They used the Aerowinx.jar instead of the AerowinxStart.jar.

But I definitely used the AerowinxStart.jar.

java -jar AerowinxStart.jar

Sorry I forgot to mention that in my post. :oops:

Hardy Heinlin

May be a memory or sound init problem. Does the Raspberry have enough memory, does it have a sound system?

|-|ardy

Felix

Thanks for the hint Hardy.
I guess it's the free memory.
Even the Raspberry Pi 2 has only 1GB of free memory.
I'll give one more shot with another memory split but I guess it's useless.

maciekish

Have you tried using a swap file? It will probably be very slow but it would be fun to see if it actually works. And even if its 1fps it might be enough for a CDU?

dd if=/dev/zero of=/swapfile bs=1M count=1024
mkswap /swapfile
swapon /swapfile

You can adjust count=1024 to test different sizes. I dont know how much memory PSX needs or how big your SD card is so 1024MB is just an example. This is just a quick test, i think this swap setup will disappear after reboot. If you want to keep it active it needs to go into the fstab or equivalent for your distro.

I might try this when i get home if nobody beats me to it :)

maciekish

Quote from: Hardy HeinlinMay be a memory or sound init problem. Does the Raspberry have enough memory, does it have a sound system?

|-|ardy

Should have sound as it has HDMI and people are installing XBMC to watch movies on it.