News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Spam?

Started by Hardy Heinlin, Tue, 28 Feb 2012 04:06

Hardy Heinlin

Is it just me or is anybody else getting "newsletters" from flyawaysimulation dot com? It's a real pest. They took the forum mail adress.

John Golin

I don't see any in my mail or spam folders...
John Golin.
www.simulatorsolutions.com.au

Matt Sheil

yep I got it

Hardy Heinlin

Did you request the newsletter?

Matt Sheil

Quote from: Hardy HeinlinDid you request the newsletter?
nope

Michel Vandaele

Yep I receive them too ;( ;(
for some time now.
B. Rgds
Michel
Michel VANDAELE
Board member  FSCB
EBOS Scenery Designteam
My B744 project
http://users.telenet.be/michel.vandaele/sim1.htm

Phil Bunch

I haven't received any spam from them.  (My ISP is unusually good about spam filtering without resorting to whitelists or other non-passive methods.)

(I wonder if the way they're getting email addresses is through Facebook somehow?  I have a strong personal aversion to being spied on and having my personal info sold to others, etc, so my Facebook account is as disabled as I can make it...just a thought...)
Best wishes,

Phil Bunch

Avi

I didn't get anything.
Avi Adin
LLBG

torrence

Nope.  But our lab spam filters are pretty good.  Most of what's been getting through lately has been stuff written in Chinese/Japanese/Korean characters - the IT guys don't seem to have a handle on that yet.

Cheers,
Torrence
Cheers
Torrence

Hardy Heinlin

I don't think their spam is big enough to find the way to common spam filters, they rather look like a small company, half serious, half unserious -- trying to earn some money with the Internet per se (no products, just a portal). But that's just my impression. The way they distribute their newsletter is spam anyway.

|-|

Will

No spam from them to me.
Will /Chicago /USA

John Golin

Quote from: Will CronenwettNo spam from them to me.

Are you spamming them back?  :lol:
John Golin.
www.simulatorsolutions.com.au

Will

Will /Chicago /USA

Garry Richards

None for me so far.

The unwitting source could be someone whose computer was compromised and who had you in their address book.
Garry

Hardy Heinlin

I know one shouldn't contact spammers, but I did in this case because I thought they are no "professional" spammers, just a bit stupid maybe. I just came to the conclusion they are indeed completely stupid. They don't reply. And their spam is now running on a daily basis. What a crap.

Anyway, they are filtered now.

frumpy

Quote from: Hardy HeinlinThey don't reply. And their spam is now running on a daily basis. What a crap.

Sorry, but...

Quote from: "flyaway"We also have additional advertising options such as mentioning your product, web site or service in our newsletter which reaches over 180,000 confirmed inboxes.

... and thanks for confirming.  :mrgreen:

Hardy Heinlin

QuoteWe also have additional advertising options such as mentioning your product, web site or service in our newsletter which reaches over 180,000 confirmed inboxes.
Nice, I didn't see that. I'll ask them what they charge for this service.

Hardy Heinlin

Now they replied. They are humans.

Phil Bunch

Quote from: Hardy HeinlinNow they replied. They are humans.

I'm actually glad to learn that humans are behind the scenes.  I hate it when there are only robots.

This reminds me of a time some years ago when my then teen-age son would sometimes answer the phone in our home.  He got stuck more than once in a computer-driven telephone-based "interview" or marketing survey on some product or another, and these robot interviews went on for more than 10 minutes in many cases.  I finally recommended that anytime he answered the phone he should immediately require that the entity on the other end of the phone prove that they were not a robot/computer.  Sort of a real-time Turing Test for artificial general intelligence.  While this tactic did confuse some real human callers, and caused other human callers to break out in laughter, it also served to disable and stop the robot callers.  There is something especially challenging nowadays about being required to prove that you're *not* a computer/robot, with no other instructions!  We're rapidly reaching the time depicted in the movie "2001" where the computer HAL was in many ways more human-like than the human astronauts.   HAL did become confused towards the end, though...or did he?
Best wishes,

Phil Bunch