News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

7478i manuals

Started by Blake H, Tue, 14 Feb 2012 06:01

Phil Bunch

Quote from: stekellerWell,

The manual may not be on line. But someone has made the 747-8F CBT available so you can take it on line - but, who knows for how long?

http://www.gssdasheight.co.uk/

Really good information, even for the 747-400 "drivers".

- Stekeller
KORD

Thanks for the link.  It was fun to go through and try out some of the new features.  The training modules are interactive so that one gets to click or rotate buttons here and there instead of just answering questions.  Makes me even more anxious to acquire and use PSX!
Best wishes,

Phil Bunch

Avi

I found a bug  :D

In the Display Select Panel page 11/11 you can select any page / synoptic you want to see. If you select GEAR, you get a B777 gear display and not the B747-8 one  :mrgreen:

Not nice
Avi Adin
LLBG

stekeller

Avi:

It is sad, but I actually noticed that too!

There are also a few spelling mistakes - it could be that this is an older (development) version.

- Stekeller
KORD

Avi

Quote from: stekeller... it could be that this is an older (development) version.
More likely they took a T7 tutorial and made out of it a 747-8 tutorial and missed it (even though they had to change any synoptic since I don't think any page on the T7 is 100% accurate to a 747 page).

Cheers,
Avi Adin
LLBG

Richard McDonald Woods

Very interesting tutorials. Great to see that the B748 has an implementation of all those details that Hoppie so patiently provided us with CPDLC.
Cheers, Richard

stekeller

Another question for Blake:

Could you describe the tailstrike protection system a bit? I did not see anything on that in the CBTs.

- Stekeller
KORD

Blake H

Only thing I could find was definitions tail strick system TSS. Nothing else.

stekeller

Blake:

Interesting - it must be completely transparent to the pilot and engineered into the control logic in some way. I know the elevators are not FBW, so I was wondering how this worked.

Thank you so much for looking!

- Stekeller
KORD

stekeller

OK, I have another clue. From an article that appeared in an Australian magazine that was written about a flight in a Cathay 747-8F flight to Hong Kong from Australia. I do not have the link to the article (someone scanned it for me) but the author says something interesting about the descent (fair use quote)...

"The descent profile is closer to four times the altitude than most airliners which are three times, and given the possible longer landing roll, First Officer Carr gives ATC a 'heads up' of the slightly different performance of the -8F. Even so, the aircraft possesses the landing attitude modifier (LAM) technology that uses the FBW technology to present the pilots with a similar landing attitude, regardless of the aeroplane's weight."

Now I know you can't comment on performance, but that might be the clue. The system could be referenced as the "LAM" in the manual rather than specifically as an anti-tailstrike system.

- Stekeller
KORD

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

... thus ... they intentionally display a modified (i.e., wrong) attitude on the PFD during landing with weights outside a certain range?

Or do they trim flaps or other controls in some way to tune out any attitude differences?

I wonder what Zinger will say about this... especially when the LAM fails and pilots need to fly the plane for real...

[EDIT]

Found this in a Boeing patent about the LAM (there is more):

A method modifying the landing pitch attitude of an airplane during landing approach and touchdown is disclosed. A reference value for a predetermined flight condition parameter is subtracted from a current value of the predetermined flight condition parameter, resulting in a difference value.

Based upon the difference value, a schedule determines a corresponding deflection value for a movable surface capable of producing lift. The movable surface is automatically deflected to an amount equal to the deflection value.

In alternative embodiments of the invention, the predetermined flight condition parameters include approach airspeed, attitude, and angle of attack.

Jeroen

stekeller

Jeroen:

I think it is more that the various controls are used by an autopilot-type function (the FBW on the -8 is limited to ailerons and spoilers) to make the airplane's attitude the same regardless of weight (and presumably CG) so I GUESS it is like a yaw damper system where it is deflecting controls but there is no indication of movement on the rudder pedals.

Pilots are trained to cope with malfunctions, so if this system is inop I guess pilots just revert to the old way (the 744 and 748 are common type ratings) and compensate for different weights by varying pitch, etc.

This may have been an added bonus of the implementation of the tail strike protection function, which could also make the airplane quieter by allowing steeper approaches. Again, it would be nice to know more. This is all 777 and 787 type magic that we are not used to on the 747 ;-)

- Stekeller
KORD

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

It must be more complex than just extra elevator input, as elevator does not allow for a different pitch attitude without also altering the angle of descent. It must be flap manipulation or so. Really changing the aerodynamics of the airframe so that it appears to be of the same weight all the time.

I am getting wary of these things since we've seen how pilots can be caught by these wonderful assistants suddenly going South. Yes they should know how to fly their plane without robots, but they're just human.

Jeroen

stekeller

Some very interesting observations and comments from 747-8 pilots on this forum thread...

http://www.pprune.org/freight-dogs/477085-747-8f-does-match-hype.html

- Stekeller
KORD

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Aha -- pseudo-flaps by drooping the ailerons. Good.

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: martin1006In China by the way they have another interpretation of copyright.

"Copyright is the right to copy"

I just had to think of that quote.

My text: http://aerowinx.com/html/tcas.html

Unauthorized copy: http://www.scribd.com/doc/17525521/tcas

But I'm not going to complain. I'm a peaceful man :-)

(He even copied my grammar mistakes.)

Back to the topic ...

Edit: I changed my mind. I had to request the removal. Otherwise it would look like I had stolen my own text from elsewhere, too.

martin1006

I needed 2 months here to find somebody help me to get a legal copy of FSX. Not possible to find in China. The guy bought it in Hongkong for me where the copyrights are more strict.

You can buy really nice Breitlings here in China by the way. Very special also, they have 39 day's in a month.