News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Sdk for multi channel sound for your flight sim

Started by Blake H, Sun, 12 Feb 2012 13:10

Blake H

If your building a sim. I believe using the SDK program below you can have multi channels for Comms. Control On/Off, intensity, what sound you want to what speaker. If your running ACPs this can be handy for VATSIM. I am in the process of making all 3 of my flight deck solution ACP fully functional with mic and call on the transmit, the only thing really different I can't make it latching, I am using microswitches and logic in software to make the right simulation. Also you will need a sound mixer for the INT side of your sim. Should in theory work like the real deal.

http://www.xsquawkbox.net/xpsdk/mediawiki/OpenAL

Blake  :D

Hardy Heinlin

PSX uses OpenAL. But the availability of multi-channel operation is independent of OpenAL. OpenAL's main target is the simulation of the Doppler effect of moving objects in 3D space. PSX uses OpenAL simply because it's volume control is smoother than that of the default Java sound system.

PSX flight deck sounds can be assigned to various outputs of various network computers (if you run multiple PSX instances in a PSX network).

See also (not the latest, though): http://aerowinx.com/forum/topic.php?id=687

One gentleman is already working on an ACP add-on that mixes hardware sound sources under the control of PSX's ACPs.

|-|

John Golin

Quotegentleman

... lol !

Having been exposed to the challenges of comms in Matt's sim for many years, I took it upon myself to try to find a 'simple' solution to provide good quality, integrated audio.

There isn't one, so I'm working on a software solution -  'Mix PSX'. (thanks to hoppie for the name ;) )

Mix PSX is written in Java and uses the default Java Sound API, taking advantage of the built-in mixing features of SourceDataLines.

The theory is:
- You connect all your audio inputs and outputs that relate to the ACPs you wish to simulate (all 3 if you like) to one machine running Mix PSX - headsets, overhead speakers, audio from VHF, INT, etc. (think USB devices).
- Mix PSX reads the ACP states from PSX and mixes audio in software onto the headsets, speakers and other devices as required.

So there is no dedicated hardware switching of audio, and no hardware adjustment of levels. No relays, no volume knobs and mixers.  All hardware actions would be fed into PSX, and Mix PSX then reads the resulting changes to the aircraft systems from PSX and does the required mixing for the audio inputs and outputs.

As the audio input and output is a result of reading from PSX and not any direct physical switches and knobs, you should correctly experience things like radio failures, ACP failures, OBS Override, etc. If the ACP is unpowered, you have no audio (unless you select 'CAPT VHF L Direct' ;))  If the ship is unpowered, you will have no comms at all.

Of course, you need to feed your hardware ACP button pushes and knob twiddles to PSX, but that is all - PSX and Mix PSX do the rest.

That's the theory - conceptually it works, but the devil is in the detail when it comes to Audio programming.  The good news is that I can get it to mix stuff correctly when I test it.  The bad news is it ain't finished. :)

It's important to know this will probably NOT be a one stop solution for everyone - I started with the idea to get this working in Matt's sim, and that is how I have been designing it.   Hopefully it works and others find it useful...

Cheers

John

(Back to under the radar mode).
John Golin.
www.simulatorsolutions.com.au

John Golin

P.S. From what I gather the FDS ACPs don't simulate the volume knobs correctly (they are rotate to off, not momentary push), the Mic Sel buttons are not really buttons, and the PTT/INT switch is not correct...?  Their intention is to mimic the look of the panel more than the mechanics...

Are you building your own switches etc?

Hassle Peter Cos to fix it for PSX :)
John Golin.

Blake H

The FDS ACP is not momentary push pots, but does have an ON function.

FDS ACP did not come with LEDs, I added green LEDs for indicating the audio output ON(above the pot).

I have also cut the metal back plate and added 2  brackets for the push to talk for where the replica push to talk switches came with a momentary switch and MIC/CALL LEDs.

In the end it was a lot easier to purchase FDS ACP as there was less work, more of a mod. I am in the process of the mod at the moment. Recommend FSD and making you own mod depending how serious you are with VATSIM.

Greg Hateley

Hi John,
Reading you description of Mix PSX, are the audio pots on the ACP Log (normally for audio) or linear to feed into the software program?
Regards Greg.

John Golin

I'm not sure what they are in real life, but as I understand it the value that comes from PSX for each knob is linear - I have to log it before adjusting audio volume.
John Golin.

GodAtum

Hi John, Hardy directed me to this thread. Where can I download your Mixer from? It'll come in handy :)