News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

"Sets MCP HDG to current heading" function

Started by Swiso, Wed, 8 May 2024 14:45

Swiso

Hi all,
I am setting up my HOTAS assigning keyboard commands to it, and I was looking at this command in particular:

"Sets MCP HDG to current heading"

Can anyone explain if the "Sets MCP HDG to current heading" is a PSX function only or it is a "specific" key/button, etc in the real plane ?

I am trying to figure out at which "category" it pertain..
For example: "A/P disengage bar on MCP" I put it on MCP, as "Quickly advances thrust lever 3" I put it on "Power Plant"
Starting an enroute situation on PSX and pressing "0" I see the HDG indicator changing value, but I don't see any "button or switch" being activated with the press.

Thanks !

Hardy Heinlin

Hi, it's a PSX feature. Not a real function.

Another one is the X key for "Sets MCP HDG to runway heading". Second X keypress sets reciprocal heading.

Consider it a command to the virtual copilot who then sets your desired HDG bug.

|-|ardy

Swiso

Quote from: Hardy Heinlin on Wed,  8 May 2024 14:55Hi, it's a PSX feature. Not a real function.

Another one is the X key for "Sets MCP HDG to runway heading". Second X keypress sets reciprocal heading.

Consider it a command to the virtual copilot who then sets your desired HDG bug.

|-|ardy

All clear.
Thank you very much Hardy !

EDIT: this is also a PSX funtion ? "Sets all altimeters to QNH of nearest airport, or STD when above TA/TL."

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Yes, this is PSX simulation to support a one-person operation. Real 747s don't have such a feature.

Some aircraft (not the 747 family) blank the heading window when on LNAV, just as the 744 blanks the speed window when on VNAV. Boeing decided not to do this, so it is common procedure to manually keep the heading window aligned with the VNAV heading. When on autopilot, the pilot flying does this. When hand flying, all MCP operation is usually delegated to the pilot monitoring.

Hoppie

Swiso

Quote from: Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers on Mon, 13 May 2024 09:11Yes, this is PSX simulation to support a one-person operation. Real 747s don't have such a feature.

Some aircraft (not the 747 family) blank the heading window when on LNAV, just as the 744 blanks the speed window when on VNAV. Boeing decided not to do this, so it is common procedure to manually keep the heading window aligned with the VNAV heading. When on autopilot, the pilot flying does this. When hand flying, all MCP operation is usually delegated to the pilot monitoring.

Hoppie

Thanks a lot Hoppie !

Regards.