News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Network problem

Started by kryten, Sun, 12 Nov 2017 17:25

kryten

Hi,
  I'm trying to set up a network but not having any success. My aim is to have the server with 3 monitors showing instruments. Other client PCs would show FSX external views. I followed the instructions (as far as I know) in "VisualPSX Software Suite". by Garry Richards. When I first had no success I tried various combinations to no avail. I have an idea about the questions below but I just want to check :

1) Does PSX have to be installed on the clients?
2) Should the SimConnect.xml IP address in the clients FSX  folder be that of the clients PC?
3) What is the difference between a Precision Simulation client and an Add-on client?

I have tried 1 and 2 above. I opened the instructor on the server and selected Network then selected "the main server". In preferences basics "start with main server on" is selected. I started PSX on a client, opened instructor, then Network and selected "A Main Client". When I select start, after a few seconds the selection changes to Disconnected.....  Last event shows "No server found on port 10747".
  When I run FSX on the server and then VisualPSX changing a situ. updates FSX on the server but not FSX on the clients.
  I may be doing something stupid so I'll apologize in advance.

Phil

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Sounds more like basic network setup trouble, before PSX even.
All your PCs need to have their unique IP addresses. You can find these with:

C:\> ipconfig

Your PSX server PC needs to have a known address that you can type into the clients.
You can use the "ping" command to see whether your clients can find your server.

C:\> ping 192.168.0.5

if your server's IP address is 192.168.0.5

Hoppie

Hardy Heinlin

The PSX server also displays its own address on its Instructor screen under Preferences > Basics; take a look at the text line in italic font in the middle of the screen, left: "This host address ..."

For reference, there are some further hints on page 93 in the new Aerowinx manual. Do you understand these hints?

The "Precision Simulator server" is that Precision Simulator on which the checkbox "The main server" is selected.

A "Precision Simulator client" is a Precision Simulator on which the checkbox "A main client" is selected.

An "add-on client" is an add-on which connects to the Precision Simulator server.

All kinds of clients connect to one server.

|-|ardy

kryten

Hi, Thanks for the quick response.

Hoppie. :  When on the CLIENT I pinged the IP address of the SERVER and got a connection.

Hardy. : On the SERVER I looked in "Basics and "This host address... showed the IP address of the SERVER.
"Start with main server on" and "Start with boost server on" are both selected. I believe I understand the hints but I've been wrong before.
Just to be certain, I believe that as the CLIENT is ONLY running FSX, PSX does not need to be installed. Is this correct?  Knowing this for sure would greatly help.

Just as an experiment I ran FSX on the SERVER PC and it connected to PSX OK (there was no connection to FSX on the CLIENT). I installed Wideview on FSX running on the SERVER PC (configuring it as server) and also on FSX on the CLIENT PC (configuring it as client). The result was that Wideview communicated the aircraft position over the network from FSX on the SERVER to FSX on the CLIENT. This shows that there is a connection between the PCs. It is just that it does not communicate via VisualPSX.

Phil

Hardy Heinlin

Hi Phil,

I can't answer your FSX questions, I'm sorry. As for the PSX network:

"Start with main server on" and "Start with boost server on" are features that are effective when PSX starts. The selected features start automatically when PSX starts. Once PSX is started, it's too late to start these features by selecting those checkboxes. It will be effective when PSX is started next time (and if the selections are saved in the pref file that you use to start PSX).

Once PSX ist started, you can only start the main server on this PSX by going to Instructor > Network > Main and clicking "The main server" and the "Start" button on that page.

Once PSX ist started, you can only start the main client on this PSX by going to Instructor > Network > Main and clicking "A main client" and the "Start" button on that page.

Once PSX ist started, you can only start the boost server on this PSX by going to Instructor > Network > Boost and clicking the "Start" button on that page.

On the PSX client's Instructor screen the server address must be entered on Preferences > Basics in the edit field "This client connects to:". If the client and the server are on the same computer, enter the word localhost, otherwise enter the server's address.

Regards,

|-|ardy