News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Parking Brake Lever Won't Stay Latched

Started by emerydc8, Tue, 13 Oct 2015 23:18

emerydc8

I am not able to get the parking brake lever to stay latched when I try to set the brakes. I noticed that my right toe brake only goes to 996 when fully pressed. I am using the Precision Flight Controls Cirrus rudder pedals and the PSX virtual parking brake lever to set the brakes, once both brakes are fully applied.

I put a voltmeter on the right pot and couldn't get it to go all the way down to zero voltage like I could with the left. Also, when I removed it from the brake assembly and turned the pot by hand it still only went to 996 -- not 1000.

I just got off the phone with PFC and they are saying that because the tolerance on this 10K Ohm pot is +/-20% it is within tolerance and not defective just because I can't get it to show zero volts at the outer limit. I ordered a new pot for $30 and will see if this fixes the problem. I have my toe brakes set to -30 on each side and they work fine to stop the airplane -- no notable asymmetric pulling to either side.

Would only getting to 996 on one side cause the parking brake not to latch?

Thanks,
Jon D.

Hardy Heinlin

950 is the limit, i.e. 95% of max travel. I think that agrees with the real Boeing mechanics.

+/- 20% error tolerance on a pot -- e.g. 8k Ohm instead of 10k Ohm -- is rather poor quality, I would say (typical 2$ toy).

How high does the pedal indicator go up (magenta hooks in the upper left corner of the PSX frame)?

Cheers,

|-|ardy

emerydc8

The hooks go all the way up on both sides when I press the brakes. When I hold them down, I pull the virtual parking brake lever back and release the toe brakes while holding the lever back. I see parking brake set on the EICAS; but the lever just snaps forward when I take my finger off of it. Maybe it's a touchpad issue. 

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: Hardy Heinlin on Tue, 13 Oct 2015 23:53
950 is the limit, i.e. 95% of max travel. I think that agrees with the real Boeing mechanics.

+/- 20% error tolerance on a pot -- e.g. 8k Ohm instead of 10k Ohm -- is rather poor quality, I would say (typical 2$ toy).
However, even with 20% tolerance, the pot should be good enough to contact the outer pins, so that in a voltage divider circuit the middle pin is 100% closed with the one or the other outer pin. Whether the 135° angle (on a 270° pot) produces exactly the half voltage, is not that important indeed.

QuoteThe hooks go all the way up on both sides when I press the brakes.
So your USB pedals are OK.

I'll search the forum ... I think Nico had a similar problem some months ago.

Cheers,

|-|ardy

Looks like Nico's problem was something different, just the Neutral zone not being set to zero:
http://aerowinx.com/board/index.php?topic=2657.0

Jon, while you're holding the park brake lever:

When your pedals are fully depressed, the magenta hooks should go up to the max.
When your pedals are fully released, the magenta hooks should fall back to the 95% position.

When you now release your finger from the park brake lever, the lever should hold itself in the pulled position, and the magenta hooks should keep staying at the 95% position.

emerydc8

Thanks for looking at this, Hardy. No matter what I do, as soon as I release the toe brakes, both magenta hooks go all the way down, even with the parking brake lever being held by my finger on the touchscreen. I can live with using the keyboard spacebar on this one though. Is there supposed to be a yellow vertical bar on the right and white on the left where the magenta hooks rise up during toe brake application?

Hardy Heinlin

The vertical bars are rudder pedals, not toe pedals. Yellow means the rudder trim is out of center.

emerydc8