News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

RealTraffic 1.0 beta and updated Foreflight 2.0 beta

Started by Balt, Sun, 18 Jan 2015 15:39

Balt

I haven't seen any traffic via the VisualPSX suite of programs myself. Maybe Garry can shed some light on this via a debug attempt at his end?

RealTraffic is injecting traffic information to PSX at 10s intervals. Maybe that's too slow?
Cheers

- Balt

Hardy Heinlin

Could it be that VisualPSX accepts traffic data coming from PSX only when PSX's "Externally controlled" checkbox is deselected?

When PSX's "Externally controlled" checkbox is selected, VisualPSX might think that VisualPSX is supposed to be the traffic generator and not the traffic receiver?

Cheers,

|-|ardy

Balt

Hardy, is a 10s injection interval too slow for PSX? Interpolation shouldn't be a problem as all the angular and linear velocities are supplied.

Cheers

- Balt

Hardy Heinlin

When PSX is using its own traffic generator, position updates are sent every 5 seconds. I found that 5 is a good compromise re network relief and smoothness. If it's longer, and you are close to the traffic, you may notice slight jumps in the animation in the outside view after every position update.

Regards,

|-|ardy

Pierre Theillere

Hi Balt and boys!

Wow, RealTraffic works like a charm here, and adds definitely a lot in terms of "alive" experience! Yesterday I flew some traffic patterns at LFPG in the middle of the day and in the evening: it's incredibly immersive to insert our B744 into the flow ("string of perls") of real aircrafts.
Only strangeness I noticed: there seems to be a slight offset of the traffic with both southern runways at LFPG (named= 08L and 08R): real world aircrafts appear to be around 50 or 100 meters north of their respective runways... might be due to the precision of the broadcasted ADS-B position?
Apart that, thanks and congrats for the quality of the addons!
Pierre, LFPG

Balt

Hi Pierre,

how did you see their exact position? In the visual system?

Cheers

- Balt

GodAtum

Quote from: BaltI haven't seen any traffic via the VisualPSX suite of programs myself. Maybe Garry can shed some light on this via a debug attempt at his end?

RealTraffic is injecting traffic information to PSX at 10s intervals. Maybe that's too slow?
Cheers

- Balt

Just to let you know, I have the same issue with Xview.

Pierre Theillere

Hi Balt!

In the PSx ND (with 5NM range) they appeared slightly offset... and on PSx visual their were really offset, to the north, about 1x or 2x a B744 wingspan (or the runway width, to give quite a raw scale).
But that's not something completely dramatic, don't worry... it's already amazing as is!
Pierre, LFPG

Balt

Ok, thanks for letting me know... at least you see them out the window. :-)

The precision is limited to 4 decimals. That means at the equator, the position is known to +/- 5.5m (absolute error 11m). At LFPG, ~N45, the error in latitude then is the same, +/- 5.5m, but in longitude it's less, only about +/- 3.9m, i.e. cos(45) * 11m.

Cheers

- Balt

Hardy Heinlin

Is the data provided by GPS?

Balt

It's ADS-B data, so yes, for the vast majority of implementations, it's GNSS derived data, although not necessarily from GPS alone. :-)

Cheers

- Balt

J D ADAM

QuoteCould it be that VisualPSX accepts traffic data coming from PSX only when PSX's "Externally controlled" checkbox is deselected?

When PSX's "Externally controlled" checkbox is selected, VisualPSX might think that VisualPSX is supposed to be the traffic generator and not the traffic receiver?

Hi Hardy,
              I have noted that if the "Off" button is selected in the Human/Traffic instructors page, it automatically changes to "externally controlled when Real traffic is loaded.

Is this of any significance?

Regards,
Derek

Garry Richards

Quote from: Hardy HeinlinCould it be that VisualPSX accepts traffic data coming from PSX only when PSX's "Externally controlled" checkbox is deselected?

No. When VisualPSX is set to receive PSX traffic it simply listens for it and sends any it receives to FSX.

Cheers,
Garry

Balt

Hi Garry,

Can you confirm that you can see traffic coming in with VisualPSX when RealTraffic is running?

Another option with RealTraffic is to enable the Foreflight interface. VisualPSX would then simply need to listen to UDP packets on port 49002. Each traffic RealTraffic sees (not only 7!) are transmitted there once every 10 seconds. The data is sent as a string, and it contains a lot more information than what PSX is sending. A sample string:

header,  hex id in decimal, lat, lon,    alt,  v/s, airborne, track, gsp, c/s,   type
XTRAFFICPSX,13346253,37.5933,-113.2234,32000,-512,      1,     249, 358, UAL1649, B738

The header is always the same, the hex ID is the transponder ID, but in decimal (so not really hex...:-))
Then you could display the type/callsign labels in the visual (if that's desired).

Cheers

- Balt

Balt

... I guess one smart way of dealing with this (if you decide to implement the UDP interface) is to simply use the UDP data for traffic injection rather than PSX if it is present. If it is present, you can assume that PSX is getting the traffic injected already.

Cheers

- Balt

Garry Richards

Quote from: BaltCan you confirm that you can see traffic coming in with VisualPSX when RealTraffic is running?
No, sorry. I am away from home at the moment. But you can. If PSX is sending traffic and VisualPSX is set to send it to FSX then you will see it in FSX.

Cheers,
Garry

Balt

Fair enough mate... However, TrafficPSX never worked for me in P3D. I was quietly assuming it just doesn't work (yet) as advertised, or perhaps it works only with FSX. I thus can't say whether it sees the traffic or not. The TrafficPSX screen listing traffics 1-7 never displays anything for me there. I have it set to get the traffic from PSX and transmit it to FSX. Running the latest version downloaded a few days go.

Cheers

- Balt

kiek

1.0.7beta: I still do not see any Traffic at my ND, neither at EHAM nor at EGGL (with plenty of aircraft around) ....

What can be wrong?

Nico

Balt

Sorry, not sure what's going on there at your end... can you post the output when starting RealTraffic like this please:

java -jar /RealTraffic.jar debug

Also, remember the airplane currently has to be moving to receive traffic.

Cheers

- Balt

OmniAtlas

This program sounds amazing.

Will give it a go  -- anyone sync it with live ATC for a more real world experience?

--

Thank you for this Balt -- it works as described, but after about 10 minutes, I also experience a freezing of traffic on your application.

Regards.