News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Visual PSX and FSX SE...

Started by cagarini, Fri, 2 Jan 2015 18:07

cagarini

Yesterday I bought FSX SE for €4,99 - not a bad deal :-)

Steam is a great platform, games install fast - I only adopted it to try Aerofly FS and recently il-2 Cliffs of Dover... Since I no longer had FSX Gold edition, I decided to buy and install this new Steam version to check if indeed it feel smoother overall, and more bullet proof when it comes to OOMs...

Well, main aim is to use FSX SE as a Visual Generator for PSX, and this afternoon after a couple of hours testing I give it a big thumbs up !

1) When you first run Visual PSX ( last version available from Garry's site ) you get a crash in the app. It turns out that you have to install the simconnect installer that comes with the Visual PSX package. This may conflict with FSX SE's own Simconnect, I really don't know, but so far I didn't notice any problems... and I really am just using FSX with PSX

2) Under most circumstances I chose to set the Option to use offsets to "No offesets". It works better this way, at least for me and for the runways I visited during my tests - no jumps as I have when either of the offsets options are used instead.

3) Might be placebo, I really don't know, and it's been some time since I last used Visual PSX, but overall it appeared smoother to me with FSX SE ( ? )

OmniAtlas

FSX-SE has a larger VAS operating limits because of changes in the code...according to the wizards at AVSIM...

My P3D does not start for some reason, so I'm sticking with FSX-SE for now.

cagarini

Yes, just completed a full afternoon of flight tests in PSX + VisualPSX + FSx SE.

Even when I use the "Jump top" function, which sometimes broke X-Plane 10 and certainly in FSX Golden too, I have had no crashes at all with FSX SE :)

I continue to use with the Offset calculations unchecked - feels better to me this way .

Overall very satisfied.

Garry Richards

Hi José,

I'm glad to hear that VisualPSX works well with FSX-SE.

Quote from: jcomm1) When you first run Visual PSX ( last version available from Garry's site ) you get a crash in the app. It turns out that you have to install the simconnect installer that comes with the Visual PSX package. This may conflict with FSX SE's own Simconnect, I really don't know, but so far I didn't notice any problems... and I really am just using FSX with PSX
There is no conflict. Windows is designed to allow multiple versions of software such as SimConnect to co-exist so that addons such as VisualPSX can use the specific version with which they were compiled. It's quite possible to have several addons running at once with each requiring a different version of SimConnect.

Cheers,
Garry

cagarini

Another positive experience, thanks to a very good suggestion at another thread, was FSXWX, a very very light application that I am using to inject the weather in FSX SE when I do not want to use saved situations from PSX, with their own weather conditions. I find it smoother to have weather separately injected into FSX SE by FSXWX when flying with RW weather in PSX than when the weather is injected from PSX through VisualPSX.

I could further enhance the visuals, which are the only aspects FSX SE works for using some high res cloud textures, but I really want my FSX SE install to remain minimal!

So far the only original FSX install I have done was RealAir's Duke V2. I didn't even configure Nvidia Inspector for FSX SE - using the default is working ok for me...

CarlBB

Quote from: OmniAtlas.....

Just to add, I had this after I set up a default flight. It worked ok for a while then stopped loading! I can point you to the web page to try if you like, but of course, ymmv.

Regards

Carl

cagarini

Quote from: CarlBB
Quote from: OmniAtlas.....

Just to add, I had this after I set up a default flight. It worked ok for a while then stopped loading! I can point you to the web page to try if you like, but of course, ymmv.

Regards

Carl

Carl, do you mean in FSX SE or P3D?

So far, and after a 10hr long flight in PSX + FSX SE, including a few time acceleration periods where the scenery was correctly dealt with in FSX SE, I haven't experienced a single CTD or OOM... All extremely smooth !

With P3D v1.2 and 2 I always had lot's of stuttering, so I eventually gave up on it, then jumped to XP10, and, unsatisfied with X-Plane's weather and ambient lighting rendering, plus the well known visibility limitations when cruise vlying, I decided to pick FSX SE, and will stick to it :-)

CarlBB

Hi José,

P3D..... I do need to properly try P3D, but for now X-Plane is my preferred 'Window'  :)

Regards

Carl

cagarini

FSX-SE latest update ( from January 12, 2015 ) although having touched simconnect, did nothing wrong to Visual PSX, and continues to provide a very smooth performance !

kev32b

Windows 8.1 and Visualpsx issues not loading anyone any ideas

hello,

already raised this question in another threat.

could you please inform how you managed to implement the airports from fsx-se into visual psx. When I insert the path of fsx-se to visualpsx he could not find the airports
and consequently stop loading.

thanks in advance for kind assistance

regards
CJK

hello,

I am using psx with fsx steam and visualpsx. planes comming from opensky unfortunately there is a mismatch moving the gears. within psx it's ok but the posky model does not lift the gear.

any idea?

thanks in advance

regards
CJK

PS same happens with overland 744 and also with the default 744

simbro

I had this problem with the default 744 until I discovered that I needed to start the engines in FSX (ctrl-e) first...

hi simbro,

first thanks for your reply but I must admit I do not understand what you mean with start the enginges first in FSX resp. FSX-SE?
Normally there is no panel config in the plane as we only use the PSX for handling the Airliner. So how to manage ctrl+E without interfering the process of preparing the flight in PSX??

regards
CJK

simbro

Just press 'ctrl-e' on the keyboard connected to the PC running FSX whilst FSX has the focus (active window).
This has nothing to do with preparing the flight in PSX as it is performed on the FSX PC (assuming that there IS another PC for FSX)..
If PSX and FSX are both on the same PC simply switch focus to the FSX window (the outside-view window in this case), press 'ctrl-e' and then return the focus to PSX to continue with flight preparations.

For some (FSX-internal) reason the gear only moves when the relevant aircraft systems (in FSX) are running - the easiest way is to do an auto-start (ctrl-e) of the aircraft n FSX and then ignore FSX completely after that. After all, FSX is now only providing a view to the world... nothing else.
Engine starts do not seem to sync between PSX & FSX...  ie. starting engines in PSX doesn't (always) start the engines in FSX.

This relates to my experience with the Default 744 in FSX.  I don't have any addon 744's (PoSky, PMDG, etc) but assume the same principles apply.
I normally setup FSX as follows:
1. load FSX with the default 744
2. Switch to 2D view (F10)
3. get rid of panels (2x shift-W)
4. autostart aircraft (ctrl-e)
5. Switch to PSX and ignore FSX from now on

Hope that made sense!  :D   It's a lot simpler to do than to explain!

Regards
Simon

hi Simon,

thanks a lot I do not at all understand what is behind the scheme but it works even if you start from point 4.

have a nice weekend (as I will have now)

regards
Claus-Jürgen

simbro

Hi Claus-Jürgen

Glad you've got it working!

Points 2 & 3 are a quick way for setting up the 'out-of-windshield' view in FSX without any panel components getting in the way... Not necessary, but quick & simple!

Danke! Schönes Wochenende wünsche ich dir auch!

Gruss
Simon

Garry Richards

Hi Simon,

Quote from: simbroI had this problem with the default 744 until I discovered that I needed to start the engines in FSX (ctrl-e) first...
I checked the VisualPSX code and found that I had set conditions that apply to starting each FSX engine after VisualPSX has opened. These include pulling the PSX starter switches and having at least one hydraulic demand pump set to aux.

While these conditions help to synchronise FSX engine state with PSX they won't work if you load a PSX situation with the engines already running, hence the (undocumented) need to use Ctrl-E to start the FSX engines.

I will see if I can find a workaround and include the fix in the next release of VisualPSX.

Cheers,
Garry

simbro

Hi Garry

That explains why sometimes I was having to autostart the FSX aircraft and at other times not...  

On occasion I use the 'shortcut' in PSX-Instructor to get the engines running  - pushing the 'start engines' button there obviously shortcircuits the conditions you check for in VisualPSX. This results in having to autostart FSX apparently.
At other times I go through the 'full & correct' startup procedure which then does not need the autostarting of FSX.

Regards
Simon