News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

PSX + FSX for scenery

Started by ahaka, Wed, 26 Mar 2014 12:27

Hardy Heinlin

PSX already outputs some data re weather zones which add-ons can read and use. But I can't discuss this now; it's a pretty long story, and I'm busy getting the handbook finished :-)

By the way, those cells on the radar are embedded cells. If you fly through that green area, your FSX windshield should be solid grey. You should see nothing out there and just rely on the radar. The radar is of use, James :-) When you are in the red zone, you are in trouble.

jgoggi

I understand, Hardy, I had for a moment lost the focus on the fact that FSX will only have a visual effect, therefore if you are in the green area you don't have turbulence, even if you see a cb in the FSX window. And yes, that radar image shows embedded cells, my scenario was in fact more referring to a situation where you have an isolated clutter in front of you, that you see on the radar but you may not see (or see in another position) in the FSX window.

Christian Adrigan

In a world where it seems to matter many simmers more that the rear toilet is correctly implemented in a plane's VC cabin view, it's good to know that PSX comes with such a masterpiece of aerodynamics simulation.

Looking forward to flying it and testing those CB conditions and their effects. :)

ahaka

Quote from: Christian AdriganIn a world where it seems to matter many simmers more that the rear toilet is correctly implemented in a plane's VC cabin view, it's good to know that PSX comes with such a masterpiece of aerodynamics simulation.

Looking forward to flying it and testing those CB conditions and their effects. :)

A lot of the mainstream software developers only provide 3d modeled cockpits, which surely look great too and probably suits many single monitor users, but at the same time they have abandoned a group of users, who either build a full-scale cockpit or use multiple monitors to display different elements of the cockpit. PSX not only caters those users, but takes the whole simulation one step forward. Or perhaps more than just one step... Will have to wait and see. Hardy should already release a version to those of us who believe we don't need a manual. :-)
Antti

Adrian FW

My mother alway taught me that patience is a virtue.  In any case maybe we'll need the last word on Page 359 of the manual to download or unzip a software add-on.  ;)

Keep with the manual please Hardy and don't get too distracted.

falconeye

The PS1.2 manual had 208 pages.
The PS1.3 manual had 352 pages.
So the PSX manual will have 496 pages ;--)
Now you can calculate when the manual is finished and PSX released.
Actually it is at page 358  and Hardy began, I think, in september last year.

Avi

The growth of the PSX manual should be exponentially and not linear :D
Avi Adin
LLBG

Hardy Heinlin

... and the work was sometimes interrupted by other jobs such as beta corrections, and DVD cover design, and ...

:-)

Wow, the PS1.2 manual had 208 pages only?

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

DVD cover design? Ha, we technicians do that in an instant.

Here's my proposal:

Note the carefully selected magenta colour of the stencil font, and the subtle hint of the approaching aircraft with landing lights on.

falconeye

Yes, "only" 208 pages. Received january 1998 and then memorized the whole maunal. ;-)

Michel Vandaele

We are all aware , I think that FSX only should be a scenery generator for PSX.  So all data (performance, weather influence, aircraft logic, etc) is generated in PSX, as this is THE simulator.

Nowadays our "visual generator " FSX has also a lot of add-on's which make it "look" a lot better.  One of these - which is in my opinion important to have a visual good looking affect - is the accurate weather program ActiveSky Next, which is making the weather system completely outside the FS engine and inject its correctly generated weather profile - at the end of the process  in the FS scenery. So now clouds are not placed randomly anymore but in the area's as they should be according the metars and taf's. So I suppose this will gives us a far more better outlook than the default weather generation.  Both program's are using the same actual weather sources, so there should not be a lot of difference.

And of course effect's are coming from PSX, so it will be only for our visual effects purpose.

B. Rgds
Michel
Michel VANDAELE
Board member  FSCB
EBOS Scenery Designteam
My B744 project
http://users.telenet.be/michel.vandaele/sim1.htm

ahaka

Quote from: Jeroen HoppenbrouwersDVD cover design? Ha, we technicians do that in an instant.

Here's my proposal:

Note the carefully selected magenta colour of the stencil font, and the subtle hint of the approaching aircraft with landing lights on.

We Nordic people like simplistic design, so great job there! The magenta color is a bit too much though, try removing it and then that should be it.
Antti

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: ahakaThe magenta color is a bit too much though, try removing it and then that should be it.
Yeh, a bit too much; looks like a lipstick mark from the girlfriend on a love-letter. But ... why not. I'll take it.

GodAtum

Quote from: Hardy HeinlinWhy are you calling FSX "real world"? :-)

Maybe my previous posts weren't clear enough.

FSX is just a windshield display.

PSX provides the weather for the aerodynamics.

PSX provides the aerodynamics.

PSX provides the planet. When PSX's planet is wet, PSX's tires will get wet. No matter what FSX is showing.

I don't know how the details within 5 nm will look like in FSX, but the radar in PSX is the thing that counts.

If you enter the red area shown on PSX's radar, PSX's aircraft will experience PSX turbulences, and maybe PSX engine failures, and PSX lightning strike induced electrical failures may occur, and PSX's ADFs may fluctuate etc.

FSX will not influence PSX. We don't fly with an FSX flight model, and we don't apply FSX's atmosphere model to PSX's aerodynamics.

PSX is not an aircraft add-on. It's a complete flight simulator. PSX uses its own atmosphere, its own aerodynamics etc.

Cheers,

|-|ardy

I guess PSX cannot integrate with ASN or Avilasoft EFB?

Garry Richards

Quote from: GodAtumI guess PSX cannot integrate with ASN or Avilasoft EFB?
From the hifitechnic site:

ASN will be available for FSX initially (planned December 9, 2013), with a P3Dv2 version planned shortly after.

PSX can send its weather in METAR format to FSX/P3D via VisualPSX, so Active Sky Next could enhance the weather display as it does with any other METAR. FSX and PSX can also be made to point to the same weather server.

From the Aivlasoft site:

EFB version 1.5 (and higher) supports the following two simulators:

Microsoft Flight Simulator FSX, ServicePack 2 or Acceleration Package or 'Gold Edition'
    Lockheed Martin Prepar3D, Version 2.0 (and higher)

When PSX is released developers will be able to work out whether or not sufficient data can be exchanged to enable integration with products such as the Aivlasoft EFB but there may not be much point.

As stated elsewhere, PSX is a stand alone simulator, not an addon for FSX or P3D and I expect that over time developers will build EFBs and other products to work directly with PSX.

Cheers,
Garry

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

EFBs are in principle independent of simulator -- they are tried to aircraft type performance. Of course some simulators have simplified or deviating performance and this must be corrected. PSX was designed to get very close to known real 747-400 performance and thus can be supported by any 747-400 capable EFB out there.

For things such as weather download, EFBs will rely on METARs, not on specific simulators.

For position feed such as ownship location on taxi charts, EFBs typically take NMEA GPS which PSX can produce via an add-on, or they can link into the linked FSX and get the camera position from there.

I believe PFPX will support PSX when it appears, including production of route files etc.

Hoppie

GodAtum

Thanks Hoppie. It would be great to not have to abandon my addons. I mainly use Avilasoft EFB for taxi and SID/STAR advice.

Having PFPX and Topcat support will definitely help with realism.

How about GSX, I guess that just needs to interface with the model in FSX?

Garry Richards

Quote from: GodAtumHow about GSX, I guess that just needs to interface with the model in FSX?
GSX looks interesting. I don't know what data it requires from the FSX aircraft but some that I would guess, such as cabin and cargo door states, are controlled from PSX via VisualPSX. Others, such as fuel tank quantities, are not.
Garry

ahaka

The weather aspect regarding the clouds/precipitation would be a really nice thing to get synced between PSX and FSX in the future. It might be a bit contradicting to see a clear spot on your windshield and a heavy CB cell on your ND at the same time :)

Of course, even without this feature, it will be amazing to have a smooth sync between PSX and FSX.
Antti

JRBarrett

Quote from: John GolinI run FSX^ and PSX on the same Core i7 with no problems... specs lower than yours.

I don't notice any impact on performance in either program*

Also, see this post:

http://aerowinx.com/forum/topic.php?post=14306#post14306

[size=8]^ Including VisualPSX and TrafficPSX
* YMMV
[/size]

I have a reasonably high-end i7 machine on which I currently run FSX. It has a GTX-770 4GB video card driving a pair of 27-inch monitors. Based on your statement above, I would think it would have no issues running FSX and PSX simultaneously.

The system is equipped with CH products yoke, throttle quadrant and rudder/brake pedals. I will, of course, want to configure these controllers to work with PSX, which I assume will be easy to do as they are all USB.

The problem is that FSX is configured to work with these same controllers, and I am concerned that FSX will react to controller inputs intended for PSX, when running both programs at the same time - even though FSX would be under the control of the VisualPSX interface. would I have to disable the controllers in FSX before using it as a scenery generator under the control of PSX?