Old 744 Forum

Archived posts

VisualPSX suite upgrade to v 6.5 and 7.5 released

Page: 1

Author Post
This upgrade adds an extra search path to RunwaysPSX to find FSX-SE on 64 bit systems.

VisualPSX and TrafficPSX are now more resistant to network failures and have improved shutdown procedures. These changes follow from a code review that resulted in numerous subtle improvements.

During stress testing I was running a PSX client with boost server, FSX and VisualPSX all on the same elderly computer and noticed that FSX was showing a high variability in frame rate and performance. The FSX aircraft was not proceeding smoothly but was slowing down then speeding up. The Windows task manager revealed that FSX was using 50% of the CPU time, PSX was using about 7% and VisualPSX was using less than 1%.

I then used the task manager to assign each application to its own processor, the computer having four cores. This resulted in immediate smoothness in FSX, with a stable frame rate having variability of less than 1%.

Thanks for using my software. Enjoy this upgrade!

Garry-

As a late adopter, I am now a big fan.... a brilliant combination of P3d visuals and the PSX sim- MANY, MANY thanks! My regret is that I waited this long.... but Peter's (Skino) Real Windshield View program promises to let me use this combination in a single large display- which is exactly what I needed to use the combination.

Re-
"I then used the task manager to assign each application to its own processor, the computer having four cores. This resulted in immediate smoothness in FSX, with a stable frame rate having variability of less than 1%."

do we do this manually, or does this upgrade send Visual PSX to a different core than PSX automatically?

Also, is it best to just overwrite files, or is it better to delete the current VisualPSX folder and recreate?

Ta!

C
« Last edit by cavaricooper on Mon, 03 Aug 2015 14:01:40 +0000. »
From the README...

"For users upgrading from versions 6.0 and 7.0 or later:

Replace RunwaysPSX.exe, TrafficPSX.exe and VisualPSX.exe with the versions in this package. You will not need to run RunwaysPSX again unless you experienced problems previously.

The file "VisualPSX Suite History.pdf" summarises the changes made in this upgrade."
Thanks Garry! I really appreciate your gift that is VisualPSX, had a wonderful short flight last night Istanbul - Thessaloniki enjoying the PSX fidelity with a great view in a side "window" monitor using PSX + P3D last night thanks to VisualPSX;

I recognise the issue this update addresses that you mention; fixed spot was the view I've been using to avoid that judder, so also keen to understand as asked by cavaricooper whether you're recommending we go into task manager directly or not to address the balancing -

best respects,
Kabbers X

Garry:

Thanks for the affinity info and especially for your hard work on VisualPSX. I am most grateful.

Best- C
Hi Garry,
Unfortunately, it still can't find my FSX SE install.
It was just to let you know, my install is probably corrupt somehow, but it's working otherwise, that's why I don't want to touch it !
RunwaysPsx (7.5) does find my P3dV2 install though.
Really odd.

Anyway, thanks for your hard work, I'll try the affinity tip with P3d when I have time !

Charles
Hi Garry,
thanks you for your great add on, love it, but got a small problem.
when in slewing mode to allign the gate position in pepar3D the keys to do so don't do anything.
VisualPsx is the active window.
Am i missing something ?
beacon off
runway turn off lights both on
navigation lights on
The visualpsx screen tells me ready to slew and save the situation, but no movement.
ivo
Hi
Found the solution in the mean time.
I entered the airport in the instructor/position box
selected a gate , setup the aircraft beacon, navlights and runway turnoff lights as required.
but then closed the RWY/gates page before slewing, it does not work then anymore.
You have to keep the RWY/gates page open, slew, and the close it and save the situation.
ivo
Thanks guys. I won't be able to investigate the various issues raised for a couple of weeks.

Cheers,

tango4 wrote
Unfortunately, it still can't find my FSX SE install.

Hi Charles. I have found conflicting information about whether the new key should have DovetailGames or Dovetail Games in it. I will include both in the next update.

Ivo de Colfmaker wrote
Found the solution in the mean time.
I entered the airport in the instructor/position box
selected a gate , setup the aircraft beacon, navlights and runway turnoff lights as required.
but then closed the RWY/gates page before slewing, it does not work then anymore.
You have to keep the RWY/gates page open, slew, and the close it and save the situation.

Hi Ivo. I can't reproduce this. I sometimes get caught out by having my keyboard switcher pointing to one computer while I'm looking at the focussed app on another and thinking I'm typing to it. Maybe that's the cause?

Cheers,

hi Garry,
Think I found it.
2 things, I run PSX on 2 monitors for the instruments and a third for instructor station plus charts, EFB etc.
When the VisualPSX screen is slewed over to this third monitor it does not work, it has to be within the layout window, at least for me.
the mistake I made is this, when the VisualPsx screen is visible and I click on the nav lights, or beacon lights, does not matter which one, it might be any key, the VisualPsx window disappears to the taskbar, which in my case is auto hidden.I then click on the icon in the taskbar to bring it back on the screen and click in the VisualPsx window to make it active, it then does not work.
If I click on the icon in the taskbar to bring it back on screen and do not click the VisualPsx screen to make it active, but just use the keys, it works flawless.
thanks for your response.
ivo

Page: 1

Old 744 Forum is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software