Old 744 Forum

Archived posts

PSXonMCP2 - Interface for VRinsight MCP2 Boeing

Page: < 1 2

Author Post
I'm sorry Brian, but as I don't know the protocol the first MCP version uses it won't be possible to add support for it.

Bernd
Thank you, Bernd: I understand. But I'm sure you can sense my frustration, since apart from the number of characters in the displays there would appear to be few other physical differences. If I knew what you meant by "the protocol the first MCP version uses" then maybe I could help, but there we are.

By perhaps little coincidence, the development of the LINDA software has similarly been taken over by someone who never owned version 1 of the MCP combo, so I'm facing a similar problem there. <sigh>

Congratulations to those who waited until v2 came out! :?

Cheers,

Brian
brian747 wrote
If I knew what you meant by "the protocol the first MCP version uses" then maybe I could help, but there we are.

I speak of the protocol the MCP uses to speak over the serial port. Examples:

What do I have to send to the unit to initialize it?
How does the unit answer to that initialization?

What does the unit send when knobs are turned slow and fast?

How is the display cleared?

Can I send a whole string to the display or do I have to separate it somehow?

As VRinsight didn't really communicate with me at all I had to reverse engineer the communication for the V2. There was much trial and error, especially as the unit freezes when you send wrong or incomplete commands.

Even when I finally figured out the protocol, developing the interface with PSX ended in many unit freezes. That is why doing it without having access to the HW isn't easy.

As you've read the thread you've seen my troubles with the V2 encoders. So even though I bought the second version I didn't wait long enough either.

Hope you now understand the issue better,
Bernd
« Last edit by Berndo on Wed, 12 Aug 2015 15:18:53 +0000. »
That's very helpful - thank you.

(I was never under the illusion that this was a simple matter). ;)

I used to be in touch the the Russian gentleman who coded LINDA for version 1 of the MCP combo: if anyone knows the answer to your questions, then it will be he. Unfortunately he has dropped out of sight recently, but I'll see if I can track him down.

Until then, thank you! :)

Cheers,

Brian

Page: < 1 2

Old 744 Forum is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software