Old 744 Forum

Archived posts

Checklist Volume

Page: 1

Author Post
Hardy:

Is there a way to reduce the volume of Sarah et al when they are speaking checklist items? If I raise the volume to where the environmental sounds/engines etc are comfortably heard, the checklist items are very loud.

Everyone's hearing is different, and I'm sure mine has its idiosyncrasies.... however, I'm hoping for a solution...

Ta!

C
Yes. Just open the desired *.pilot file in the subfolder Aerowinx/Audio/Pilots with a text editor and edit the line that I'm marking in red below:

[Aerowinx Precision Simulator - PNF]
[Version 10.0.2]

[Voice]
Directory=-Sarah1

Volume=40
LastFile=2093

[Special]
FlapSpdAdd=0

[Call-outs]
Tkof=Power set
080=80 knots

Then save the file. To hear the effect of this modification go to Instructor > Situation > Human > Pilots and select another pilot from the menu, then reselect the desired pilot from the menu (this will force PSX to reload the desired file).

Cheers,

|-|ardy
Thanks, Hardy. I will use this to increase the volume because Sarah keeps saying something that sounds like "Check your rudder," but it's not too clear.
"Check your rudder" is called when your rudders are unnecessarily out of neutral over a longer period of time. When you hear this you should really check that your rudder pedals are centered.

And when you hear "Check your rudder trim", you should check your trim.

I wouldn't make it louder. It's already pretty loud.

Cheers,

|-|ardy
Thanks for confirming this, Hardy. I may just turn it down now since it's kind of annoying and it seems to go off if I put the slightest pressure on the pedals. It has no noticeable effect whatsoever on the flight characteristics.

Speaking of rudder trim, I have been wondering how to get control of the rudder trim outside of the keyboard, other than an expensive rudder trim knob ($$$). I was thinking of modifying the twist feature of the Xtreme3D Pro with a similar trim knob and mounting that in my center pedestal, since that's really the only thing on that pedestal that I need immediate access to while flying. A replica would be nice to have, but not worth more than $1000.

Just looking at the options for this and trying to find out if anyone's had success with alternatives to the real thing. I considered a touch screen for the center pedestal, but honestly, when I reach back for the rudder trim knob with my right hand during EO approaches, I hardly ever look -- it's always where I expectit to be. So, I don't know how I'd get around that.

[ADDENDUM]:

I don't want to hijack this post, so I'll start a separate thread under accessories.
« Last edit by emerydc8 on Sat, 25 Jul 2015 22:59:59 +0000. »
It's really important to center the rudder pedals when the aircraft is in an otherwise symmetric configuration and outside the take-off/landing phase. If you ignore it, your ailerons will be deflected to compensate the rudder induced heading drift.

Instead of ignoring it and muting all PNF sounds, I suggest to increase the neutral zone for the rudders on the USB page, or just don't push the pedals until you really need them.
« Last edit by Hardy Heinlin on Sat, 25 Jul 2015 09:22:56 +0000. »
@Hardy- Ta!

C
I suggest to increase the neutral zone for the rudders on the USB page, or just don't push the pedals until you really need them.

I am not pushing on the rudders intentionally -- just resting my feet on them. I'm not into leaving my feet on the floor while flying, like some people advocate.

I'll try increasing the neutral zone, but I guess theres a trade-off here in that the rudders will have some slop in them. It's more than likely the springs in my PFC rudders that are getting weak. They are a high-wear item and I have already snapped one.
Jon-

I use the PFC Boeing pedals as well. Increasing the null zone just slightly fixed my issue with Sarah.... Push left and right, noting the value it returns to each time. Make sure your selected "step" is larger than either- presto- no more Sarah ;)

BTW- I used the adjustment screws to really reduce the rudder force needed- mine needed a fairly hefty push.

Best- C
Thanks! I didn't know there were adjustment screws. I'll have to look at that. I was thinking of modifying the rudder pedals to use pneumatic struts instead of springs (or in addition to springs) for a more realistic feel.

I think I went as high as 70 for the neutral position on my rudders and it's a bit under the threshold of the unintentional input caused by my feet just resting on them.

Jon D.

Page: 1

Old 744 Forum is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software