Old 744 Forum

Archived posts

Spoken checklist question

Page: 1

Author Post
Hi,
I am sure almost all pilots know the checklist by memory, but the whole idea of this checklists is not to do it by memory to avoid mistakes!
I like the spoken checklists in PSX but do we not miss a step?
PM reads an item, PF checks the item, PF answers , and then the PM have to check on the checklist sheet if the answer is correct, but if I give the wrong answer there is no correction, so in order to make sure I have to see on a printed sheet myself, and then the whole purpose of the spoken checklist is missed!
Is it not possible to let the PM give the correct answer with lets say a 5 seconds delay?
Some things are not possible, like for instance fuel on board, but the majority can be done.
Just a thought.
Ivo
Hi Ivo,

why don't you just wait 5 seconds before pushing the V key again?

The checklist simulation is a plain acoustical feature; it will not move any switches.

It's up to you whether you ignore a checklist item or not.

When you hear "Speedbrakes", you check the speedbrakes. If you don't check them carefully and they are not armed, your virtual PNF will not intervene (unlike in real life). So there's nothing to wait for, actually.

Cheers,

|-|ardy
Hi Hardy,
i know it does not move any switches, and I don't think it is good policy to ignore checklist items, sure you agree.

Maybe I did not make myself clear enough, I don't want the PM to correct my action, I want the PM to call out the correct state of the switch/ item so I can see for myself if it is conform the list without looking at the sheet

Pushing the V key after waiting 5 seconds to get the next item on the list still does not give me the confirmation that the previous item is conform the list, unless I thrust my memory, and that is wat I want to avoid!
Or look at the list myself, and then I am back to my original statement,
Hope I am making sense
Ivo
In real life, the PNF will not confirm every checklist item, i.e. he or she will not repeat your reply. Unless the item is about a cross-check like the altimeters left and right etc.

When you hear "Speedbrakes", you say "Armed". You will not hear "Armed" from the other seat. In real life.

|-|ardy
I understand,
Lets take the BAW1 Sarah checklist for example
let's asume I am distracted.

Cleared for start checklist
HYD demand pump 4 I forgot to set corrrect and it is in auto,dumb, I know , but for the sake off argument here
if my response is auto in real life, wat happenes next?
ivo
If your response is incorrect and your colleague notices your incorrect response, your colleague will remind you, and perhaps will do the required action if your hands are having something else to do.

|-|
Hi Hardy,
I now realise I looked at this from the wrong angle
Wanted the PM to confirm the state of the item checked after 5 secondes to make sure i have set it correct!
This means I am incompetent , I have to know how it should be, the purpose of the checklist is to make sure I did not forget, not to verify my actions.
My apologies
Ivo
I think I now see what you thought :-) Yes, a checklist is not a to-do list. A checklist is performed when all actions of a certain flight phase are already done. This is different to the "abnormal lists" which are really to-do lists. At least Lufthansa calls "non-normal (or abnormal) checklists" "abnormal lists" -- to distinguish checklists from (to-do) lists.

Cheers,

|-|ardy

Page: 1

Old 744 Forum is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software