Old 744 Forum

Archived posts

Tracking our flights....

Page: 1

Author Post
What external ( PC-based ) Map add-ons do you use to track your flights in PSX, allowing you to analyse the procedures against navaids, holding points, airways, and eventually even wind charts.

When I was using X-Plane 10, there was this EFASS flight planner that included a Map where you could track your flight in real time. If you had a 2nd monitor / PC, you could run it there.

Unfortunately, it was never possible to make PSX, FlightSim-Commander compatible, and PFPX doesn't include this Map feature ...
« Last edit by jcomm on Tue, 14 Jul 2015 08:55:46 +0000. »
Hi

I use Foreflight with Balt's Foreflight Connector. This uses iOS devices (e.g. iPAD) to display your flight/ charts weather and other real-time data.

You have to pay a subscription, but with the appropriate one you can track your flights across the USA and Canada. Your flightpath can be super-imposed over IFR/ VFR and even procedure charts, and a variety of other map displays. Radar weather information is also displayed in real-time as you fly with an internet connection, if you wish. I find this synchronises perfectly with PSX's real-time weather download.

Although it is aimed at real-world pilots, I think it is an excellent "add-on" for PSX.

The only downsides are the cost of the annual subscription and that it is limited to USA and Canada for aeronautical charts. You can only track your European or other flights over geographical/ street type maps (similar to Google Earth).

Just google Foreflight for more details.

Best wishes
Malcolm
I would like to add that the Foreflight connector subscription ($9.99/yr) pales in comparison to the $199/yr subscription cost for Foreflight itself (which I had to purchase to build the PSX Foreflight connector - I don't fly in the US at present so don't have any synergies there unfortunately...)

Cheers

- Balt
Thx Malcolm and Balt,

I don't use an iPad or any such device... It would have to run in Windows on a laptop / desktop.

Then, there's that limitation regarding European and other World areas apart from the USA and Canada...

Something in the line of Flightsim Commander would be just great... But I do not want to install FSX just to be able to use such an application...

And of course, there's always GE.
I have contacted the author of FScommander earlier today after my first response, haven't heard back yet. I have an idea that might make it very easy to use PSX as a data source but I need to talk to the developer for that.

Cheers

- Balt
In the beginning, soon after PSX's release, a friend of mine tried to get the route sintax from HH to support FlightSim-Commander's developer, who was ready to create a "port" for PSX flightplan export / import, but HH was too busy, and gave PFPX the priority.

Maybe we should check with him first ( HH ), because without that info, FSCommander's developer will have some additional stones to break first... or simply give up because he already has a market, and his app works great with FSX, P3D and even XP10.
« Last edit by jcomm on Tue, 14 Jul 2015 12:47:22 +0000. »
Just an idea ... would it make sense do write an add-on which is basically a flight recorder writing a GPX file, a KML file or any other file formats so they can be loaded into a map / charting program or Google Earth?

Markus
Hi,

I also think that FScommander should integrate (as a fmc planner) with PSX for 2 reasons, it is a very good planner and integrates with fsx and xplane as a moving map. That is awesome for both situations (PSX + FSX visuals or PSX + XPlane visuals). Some time ago i contacted the FSC dev and he was very opened and interested to do a interface to migrate the plans/routes made there or imported to there (from other sources) to the PSX FMC, BUT it requires the colaboration of HH giving to him the PSX FMC format (route sintax). This will give the FSC the possibility to create the fmc route files for PSX.

I hope it will be done because it will marry 3 nice softwares PSX + FSC + FSX/XP.

Regards

Tercio
I was using both the Jeppeson "flightmap/flightstar" software and a "topogps" moving map.

These were driven from the x-plane (10) software used for the visual displays. They required a serial output from the computers running x-plane, for which I used usb to serial devices.

(X-plane can output the needed NEMA information to drive such software).

The sim had (well still has) two monitors beside the -400 inst panel (sort of like the big Airbus has).

Worked well for my purposes. (I was not trying to exactly duplicate a -400 cockpit).

BTW, I'm still trying to find a good home for the sims as moving is getting closer!

jj
tsampaio wrote
... it requires the colaboration of HH giving to him the PSX FMC format (route sintax). This will give the FSC the possibility to create the fmc route files for PSX.

The format is described here:

http://aerowinx.com/forum/topic.php?post=18948#post18948

http://aerowinx.com/forum/topic.php?post=27855#post27855

http://aerowinx.com/forum/topic.php?post=14747#post14747

Regards,

|-|ardy
Hmmm, from the last link, I wasn't really aware "only" 5Hz were available for the aircraft 6DOF, updates...

This explains the sometimes less than smooth ride when using external visual generators I'm afraid.

Yes, the clients can interpolate, as I believe at least XView does ( not sure how it is done in VisualPSX ), but still, it seems to me far from the 30 to 72 fps we can look for in the sim...

Between which frequencies do you update PSX's built in out-of-windshield visuals? I guess it can vary depending on the workload with the myriad of other systems, but what is the best update rate it can get?
« Last edit by jcomm on Tue, 14 Jul 2015 19:04:06 +0000. »
Careful, don't confuse the 5Hz data with the boost server data, which comes at a higher frequency for just that, visual generators. 8)

Markus
My goodness, Jose :-) ... that would be a horror.

The scenery generators do not use that 5 Hz output; they use the booster which runs at up to 72 Hz. See page 83.
Hardy Heinlin wrote
My goodness, Jose :-) ... that would be a horror.

The scenery generators do not use that 5 Hz output; they use the booster which runs at up to 72 Hz. See page 83.

Ufff!!!! You almost killed me :-)
Volker got back to me last night. Looks like this is not as straightforward as my original idea was, FSCommander seems to integrate rather tightly with the Nav database as well, I thought it was just an external plotter that needed to use FSUIPC, alas, less than 1% of users are PSX based allegedly, so there is likely not to be much interest I'm afraid.

Cheers

- Balt
Ok Balt,

thx for the followup....

Something will probably come in the future, hopefully not just for iPads....

Page: 1

Old 744 Forum is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software