Old 744 Forum

Archived posts

Multiple Monitor Setup

Page: 1

Author Post
Hello,

This is my first post and I'm not really sure where to start, but I am in need of some help with setting up PSX on five different screens using one i7 computer. I installed PSX last week and I am really impressed with the program. After watching every single one of Britjet's awesome tutorial videos and seeing how close the PSX FMS is to the real airplane, I was convinced that I had to have it.

Here is my current cockpit arrangement. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-WRh0Hf7VdZTGlLcTg5SzIxZDQ/view?usp=sharing

And this is how the screens appear on my Windows resolution screen.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-WRh0Hf7VdZeDVXby1PQXB6RGc/view?usp=sharing

For purposes of installing a 747-400 program into what appears to be a 777 cockpit (or at least one-half of a 777 cockpit), for now I have configured the left throttle to the "all throttles" USB choice and I'm not even going to worry about the functionality of the fuel control switches. I'll eventually replace the 777 TQ with a 747-400 TQ. Also, disregard the 777 MCP -- I plan to replace this next week with a 747-400 MCP.

I'm primarily focused on starting out with all engines running at an airport I select and focusing on FMC-related tasks, maneuvers and approaches.

What I would like to do, if possible, is set up the files (ini, pref, etc.) so that when I open AerowinxNetStart.jar, everything will load on its appropriate screen (e.g., the visuals will load on the three 39" HDMI screens and the PFD/ND, EICAS, MFD and CDU will all load on their appropriate screens).

Since my programming skills are virtually nil (I'm just a 747-400 pilot), and the manual doesn't specifically address how to do this, can anyone tell me where to start?

Up to this point, I have been opening multiple instances of PSX using NetStart.jar, zooming in on the appropriate panel and dragging it to the appropriate instrument screen. It takes a long time to get this right (clicking and unclicking the screen stretch option, etc.) and that's just doing a server (CDU in this case) and two clients (visuals & PFD/ND). It would be great to be able to duplicate the setup without having to do all the zooming and dragging. Any input would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Jon D.
( a/k/a emerydc8 )
Tucson, AZ USA
Hi Jon,

I just wrote a little tutorial on how to force a certain PSX instance in the network to start with a certain layout:

http://aerowinx.com/forum/topic.php?id=2999

I'm not sure if this is what you're asking for, but maybe it helps to understand the system design.

Cheers,

|-|ardy
Hi Jon!

First, set up all instances as you want them, e.g. Window Layout, Client/Server. That means once the PSX window is showing what you want - save that Layout (e.g. EICAS-1). Then create a new Preferences file with that Layout ('Start with Layout' under Preferences/Basics). Do this for all instances but with different filenames.
Then you edit the 'AerowinxNetStart.ini' with Wordpad or another editor (not Notepad) and for each instance you add a line with the Preference you saved before. Start with the server on line one.

E.g. You named you preferences "PFDs-Server, EICAS-upper, EICAS-lower" the .ini would look like this:

PFDs-Server.pref
EICAS-upper.pref
EICAS-lower.pref

and would start three instances of PSX. You can still adjust the preferences afterwards - just be sure to save under the correct names.

HTH,
Bernd
And Hardy was faster and explained in more detail. :D
Wow! Thanks, Hardy and Bernd, for the quick replies. This will keep me busy all night trying to digest all this helpful information. I can't even follow up right now with any intelligent questions, but I'm sure I will have some once I've tried this out.

Cheers!

Jon
Welcome to the forum, Jon! 8)

Have mailed you my 2cents ...

BR Hans
Thanks, Hans. I managed to get all five screens to start -- and be in the correct position -- with one click of AerowinxNetStart.jar. The CDU operates flawlessly too. It must be my lucky day!

Now, I have a problem with my brakes. With the left and right toe brakes released, both numbers are 1000 (300 in the neutral box) and the airplane won't move at all under its own power unless I apply both brakes (then I can actually takeoff). It seems that the brakes have been reversed. Any thoughts? Anyone?

Thanks,

Jon
If you want to reverse a USB axis, just enter a negative value in the Neutral zone edit field.

So, instead of 300, enter -300.

If you want zero neutral, but still a reversed axis, then enter -1.

(You should update to PSX 10.0.4 or higher, if you didn't already.)

Cheers,

|-|ardy

Page: 1

Old 744 Forum is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software