Old 744 Forum

Archived posts

taxi question

Page: 1

Author Post
Speeding! Are pilots always sticking to the 20 knots rule on ground? Or are some of them speeding with 25 or even more knots to the rwy?
Long straights see higher speeds.... I'll bet up to 30 isnt very uncommon at some of the airports with miles and miles of taxiways.

Best- C

PS- a little research showed 30 as a fairly common SOP limit, with SWA and FR being notable exceptions (the masters of the short-turn).
« Last edit by cavaricooper on Wed, 10 Jun 2015 01:52:39 +0000. »
30 Kts is our company's max speed, it's fast enough anyway!
High taxi speed combined with heavy gross weight and a long taxi distance could result in tyre sidewall overheating, especially in hot ambient conditions.
So there is no real Speed Limits on Airports?!? Pilots just taxi with the Speed of their choosing, right?
Of course you have speed limits on airports. At least in Germany. If I recall correctly it is 30 Kts. And they have to pay fines if they are getting caught too fast. It is similar when you drive too fast with your car and the police is making radar controls.
In Psx, specially on contaminated RWs / TWs, wheel skid if you are taxiing at 15 and start a turn is very possible.
Schiphol Tower: "TAP 556, is that 30 knots?"
TAP 556: "Yes sir."
Schiphol Tower: "Hm."

Polderbaan issues ...
On ADS-B I regularly see around 25 knots by 744's on long, straight taxiways here in Australia.

cheers
Scud.
Hi Hoppie!

"Polderbaan"? Isn't that this (rather) new rwy far remote that they attached to existing EHAM? I remember having (vistually) landed there during a WorldFlight (a long time ago)... and... it was far away from civilized places of the airport!
I'll have a look on ADS-B data (via FlightRadar24) at LFPG: we have some long taxi routes, in the "parallels" (F and N), and even worse on southeast side of the airport...
Pierre Theillere wrote
"I remember having (vistually) landed there during a WorldFlight (a long time ago)... and... it was far away from civilized places..."

Well in my crowded country it is almost impossible to be far away from civilized places... ;)

But you are right the polderbaan is about 11 minutes taxiing from EHAM terminals.
« Last edit by kiek on Wed, 10 Jun 2015 15:35:28 +0000. »
And that's a usually undisturbed straight 11 minutes under power. Crossing a major motorway and other interesting features.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/325711-fas-banned-joking-about-distance-new-runway.html

Page: 1

Old 744 Forum is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software