Old 744 Forum

Archived posts

PSX and adequate controller hardware....

Page: 1

Author Post
When I used PS1, long ago, during last Century, my controller was a simple, very light CH flightstick.

I noticed from the first interaction with the sim that there was a huge difference in handling between the PS1 744 and my MSFS boeings.... I adapted to it easily and it became my preferred 744 simulation ever.

PSX met my PC of the 21th Century equipped with an awsome Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS kindly offered to me by a friend, also PSX owner :-). The joystick is very stiff, and while it has proved to be very good to interact with my other flight simulators ( Rise of Flight and IL2 Battle of Stalingrad) I have to admit that it presents some problems with PSX.

I decided I have to get a new joystick, a much softer one, and I wonder what you PSX-ers would recommend?

As far as the rudder pedals go, I am still very satisfied with my Saitek Rudder Pedals, after having used in the past the Thrustmaster RCS and the CH Pro-Pedals.

I would also like to better understand the meaning of the "Neutral" field on the USB assignment menu. It reads 300 by default, but I would like to better understand it meaning for axis with a central / neutral position versus linear axis like throttle, speed brakes, etc....
"Neutral" actually is not the best name. "Minimum Delta" would be better.

Assume your controller has a full range of 0..1000, and you hold it at 563.

Setting "Neutral" to 100 means that your controller will not appear to do anything until its output gets lower than 463 or higher than 663. It then will reset its new value and wait until it sees another exceedance of the minimum delta.

Hence, 100 means basically ten steps.
10 means 100 steps.
1 means 1000 steps.

However, your hardware may be too finicky to stay at 624 when you hold it steady. It may jump to 621, 628, 624, 625, 628. So to get it calm, you increase the Neutral to 4. You now have 250 steady steps.

Start at 0 and see how high you need to go to get it steady enough to not exceed your hand tremors.

Hoppie
The joystick is very stiff

You mean the elevator centering force is very high? The elevator feels very heavy?

A game joystick is never too heavy. It is always too light!

When you fly the real aircraft, the elevator force may go up to approx. 40 kg, pumping your biceps up to balloon size. Your game joystick will never reach this force. It would be great if it did. Be happy if it at least tries to reach this force :-)

Cheers,

|-|ardy
Typical game sticks have the same force for elevator and aileron axes, and sometimes they try to imitate a no-motion force-only military stick (no-motion may mean 2 mm but you get the idea). The aileron axis on a 744, though not light, is not nearly as heavy as the elevator axis, and I believe it has no force feedback "feel" either?

Hoppie
The aileron wheel on the 744 is very heavy too. Try full deflection :-)
Ok,

I have to adapt :-)

My only experience comes from flying gliders in RL, where the only heavy "axis" is rudder, and a LevelD A320 simulator... but that's FBW...
What I would love to find is a SMALL (read tiny) high quality USB joystick (with throttle and twist rudder). I am in the process of converting all my PFC stuff to full USB with Leo Bodnar cards, so I'm all set for the home flight deck. When traveling with my MBP, I "fly" with a mouse- but would love to have something tiny I could stick in my briefcase and take along.... any ideas?

C
hmmmmmmm

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9032

http://www.geeetech.com/wiki/index.php/Arduino_joystick

I wonder about this mouse that just has a vertical grip, but is no stick:
http://www.amazon.com/3M-Wireless-Ergonomic-Mouse-EM550GPS/dp/B001P23Z36

User posted image

And this thing puzzles me:
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G13-Programmable-Gameboard-Display/dp/B001NEK2GE

User posted image
« Last edit by Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers on Fri, 15 Aug 2014 12:26:54 +0000. »
I have the Cougar's successor, the Warthog, and as I said somewhere on another thread, it has enough "heft" to put you in mind of the real plane. The heft of the joystick pairs very well with the inertia of the plane in PSX. Rotation now takes a real pull. And while that's true, only the lightest touch is needed to fly at cruise (not because the "heft" goes away, but because so little deflection is needed to make corrections).
+1

I also have the 'hog, and entirely agree with Will's comments. The weight and solidity of the stick make for a very satisfying flying experience, and the number of hats and switches on the stick and the throttle base are extremely useful for assignment to various functions in PSX.

Furthermore, the total absence of spikes owing to its use of 16-bit resolution Hall Effect sensors means that I set my Delta to zero for all axes. :mrgreen:

However, C, no one could accuse it of being small. ;)

Cheers,

Brian
« Last edit by brian747 on Fri, 15 Aug 2014 17:06:47 +0000. »

Page: 1

Old 744 Forum is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software