Old 744 Forum

Archived posts

Video of PSX Alpha 55

Page: < 1 2 3 4 5 > »

Author Post
Excellent job!
Hi Hardy,

You are creating a drug which makes addicted! That is absolutely evil! :evil:
That's like presenting delicious sausages to a dog out of range.

One question though:
At approx 5:04 you seem to pitch up from approx 5 to 12 deg. But on the radar the terrain reflections(?) do not seem to change intensity. Is the radar "stabilised" in relation to the pitch axis or is this pitch change not significant enough?

Anyway, I hope this product will reward you for all your enthusiasm and effort very soon!

Regards, Holger
Hmmmmm I don't know yet, if I want to buy this work of art :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Hardy,

Frans Spruit EHAM
Will Cronenwett wrote
... overshoot its target due to inertia ...

I know this is not what you meant, but it was fantastic
the way the standby attitiude indicator did precisely this!

(around 5.45)
A masterpiece combining physical sciences, aeronautical engineering, computer sciences and the visual arts!

-------

I personally believe that it looks better in terms of sheer visual image quality than directly viewing a real cockpit in use!

Phil Bunch
Phil Bunch wrote
A masterpiece combining physical sciences, aeronautical engineering, computer sciences and the visual arts!

real renaissance man ... 8) :D :D :D
« Last edit by vito on Thu, 05 Jan 2012 19:07:16 +0000. »
Good evening,

again, many thanks for your positive response, gentlemen! I didn't expect that. Seems we're on a good heading, that's a good motivation, too.

Will, I thought the same, I'll try to hold the camera in my hand next time. This time I used a tripod because I had difficulties to move the mouse at the same time :-) I hit the tripod with my elbow a couple of times, though; there you have some vibrations :-)

Holger, the radar antenna does not move with the aircraft pitch, the antenna is stabilized by gyros within a large tolerance angle. The antenna tilt the crew selects is always relative to the ground, not to the nose. By the way, the video doesn't show radar, it's EGPWS terrain. The colors change because the aircraft changes its altitude. The higher it gets, the greener the map.

Cheers,

|-|ardy
WOW! Incredible! Really can't believe what I just saw! AWESOME!
While doing videos in the fixed-base sims, we found it particularly effective to carefully hand-move the camera in sync with expected aircraft virtual motion.

In 2003 in the Sydney sim, then still fixed-base, there was a small camera fixed to the flight deck bulkhead. By chance I found out that banging the bulkhead shook the camera in quite the right way to enhance a virtual touchdown. Since then, bulkhead banging became standard practice in Sydney, until the hydraulics arrived.

Jeroen
i hereby volunteer to be camera-holder-assistant-coffeemaker-etc-etc

I see lots of i/o work coming up :D
Hardy, first of all, I can't express how amazed I am. In my opinion, PSX is already revolutionary. It's graphics are not only highly detailed, they are artwork. And it's not only eye-candy what we see, but highly functional and realistic. I haven't seen any comsumer or even prosumer software yet that is both so good-looking and realistic at once, besides that it's a masterpiece of programming (as it seems: a well-designed user interface, low system resources footprint, network integration, ...).

When I first watched the video I got a bit irritated by the tilted camera angle and asked myself why you did not just use a screen recording tool ... but actually, the tilted view gives the cockpit even more depth. So there's the artist again.

I am looking forward to any further developments, keep on the good work and keep the joy you have in doing it.

Cheers

Dennis
Post scriptum: I watched some portions of the video frame by frame to check out your wonderful animations. You even animated the rubber lips of the several handles. I expected that somewhere in the back of my mind but when I saw it it struck me nevertheless. Just awesome :mrgreen:
Thank you, Dennis. Nice to hear this from a designer (checked your profile).

At first, I didn't want to make a video, but just photographs with a camera. In the past years we always compared photographs of the real flightdeck with screenshots of PSX, i.e. photographs versus screenshots. I thought for a better evaluation the PSX pictures should not be screenshots, but photographs, with the same photographic effects as the real flightdeck pictures show. With over- and underexposure, slight geometric distortion etc. Screenshots use to look sterile.

Hehehe, re lips ... it's a shame I can't show you the lips under the throttles and the flap lever, they look better (tighter), but they are almost hidden by the wide objects on the levers.

Cheers,

|-|ardy

P.S.: The Mac screen recorder has only 10 FPS or so. Full screen at high res is a lot of work and memory for a recorder.
2flame wrote
When I first watched the video I got a bit irritated by the tilted camera angle

Wow, Hardy, I think you deserve even more compliments now. Throughout the whole video, I was thinking that the real "Canon" camera was looking head-on at the screen of your Mac, while the "virtual" camera of PSX was sitting in the FO seat. And wow, Hardy, the force of that illusion is really strong. I've never seen a 2D panel before that actually had me convinced it was a 3D panel. I had to go hunting for evidence that it was actually a 2D panel!
Former PS1 user, now finally re-registered after lurking here for a long time.

All I can say is Hardy, you are one extremely clever fellow!
Let me know when you want my money.

David
Good deal :-) Let me know when you want my PSX :-)

Strange statistics in my log file. In the last 4 days, the video has been downloaded 624 times according to the traffic rate of that video file, but it got 9023 hits. Perhaps this is when the video runs in the browser within the forum page while actually a cached copy on the local disk runs. If so, 600 individuals watched it 9000 times.

|-|ardy
I know I've watched it a few times...

PS get yourself FRAPS on the PC Hardy - you can capture full res and upload to Youtube! :D
Have been using 744 PS since version 1.2 and following your project silently.

Congratulations on this masterpiece of art and code, I really appreciate your "clean" and lean approach to panel design.

Looking very much forward to your new sim, and looking at the current commercial flight sims (FSX still being a lame duck, Flight! becoming an arcade game, Airline Simulator 3 having been Vaporware forever and X-Plane 10 becoming an endless beta gain), the product will have huge chances for an economic success, even in the casual simmers market.
Thanks!
Stunning, when do you want the money honey??? I for one am gagging for this
hi hardy and all,

after seen this great psx video i have me registerd (i am a old ps13 user) in your forum.
ok Hardy - Kalle and his money is waiting for psx
happy new yea and sorry for my bad english

greetings from edwb
Kalle
Hardy Heinlin wrote
Good deal :-) Let me know when you want my PSX :-)

Sounds good - I'd like your PSX now! Only kidding - really looking forward to it. :D

David
« Last edit by DavidP on Sun, 08 Jan 2012 22:11:46 +0000. »
Hey Hardy stop teasing us with videos from a full size sim :P !! Joking aside a happy new year to all on these forums! - Granville :D
Your haircut looks like the fuel tank of a Kawasaki W1SS.

Page: < 1 2 3 4 5 > »

Old 744 Forum is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software