Old 744 Forum

Archived posts

Changing settings

Page: 1

Author Post
Hello all,

I was wondering, what happens if an airline buys used plane that uses pounds and Fahrenheit. Yet the airline's choice is kilograms and Celsius?

Is it possible to change the settings with an upgrade/software change or simply there are stickies reminding the crew and flight planners of different features?

I have seen photos of A320 with stickies and other reminder notes, but I am wondering if B744 is any different.

Thanks for your help! 8)

Cheers,
« Last edit by andrej on Sun, 19 Jul 2015 16:30:40 +0000. »
Good question. It should just be software and placard changes, but I don't know how easy that is to do.
Hello,

the settings can be changed by replacing certain software modules or by pin programming. Typical configurable devices among others are the FMCs (using airline policy files, option codes etc.), EIUs (EFIS/EICAS symbology) and the EGPWS (call-outs etc.). In PSX these software and pin related options are grouped on Instructor > Model > Programming. The other model pages refer to plain hardware options.

Cheers,

|-|ardy
Dear Hardy,

thank you very much for a clear answer. I presumed that it is not as easy as in PSX, but it is good to know that it is doable. Given costs running sub-fleets (one metric vs. one imperial) are greater than software updates (my assumption).

Cheers,
As for weight units on the real-world EICAS in particular: I think this is just a matter of setting a certain pin jumper in the EIUs.
So, some things (in the real world) are as easy as in PSX. :)
So, some things (in the real world) are as easy as in PSX.

Changing the wiring at the back of the equipment racks is defintely not easy. Much easier in PSX ;)
Thanks John. Well, Boeing should take a note from Hardy! :lol:

Given how complex is the 744, I find the entire process quite interesting. Nonetheless, thanks to all replies!

Page: 1

Old 744 Forum is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software