Old 744 Forum

Archived posts

Virtual 3d cockpit question...

Page: 1

Author Post
Since real mokup cockpits can be built to interact with PSX, I believe that if some developer decided to create a PSX-dedicated 744 fleet, for FSX, P3D or X-Plane 10, with a 3d cockpit of the higher grade, like those available for FSX and P3D by PMDG, for instance, it could be used to interact with every system in PSX.

I guess it would be a easier task in X-Plane 10, given the burden that clickspots represent for FSX / P3D and would make easier, for instance, the implementation of the clickable circuit breaker panels, unless that particular area was left for PSX, with screens dedicated to it...

Anyway, it looks to me that for some simmer with a lot of investment on either platform, including the use of TIR 5, etc..., it would be great to have such an interactive 3d virtual cockpit for PSX.
« Last edit by jcomm on Fri, 17 Jul 2015 10:34:43 +0000. »
Sounds like an idea, go ahead and do it!

I see a few people using PSX (who don't want to make a physical cockpit) make it '3d' by using multiple touchscreens in the right positions. PSX isn't really a 'game' that requires a 3d virtual cockpit.
Not me :), I wouldn't even know where / how to start ...

Maybe someone picks the idea...
jcomm wrote
Not me :), I wouldn't even know where / how to start ...

I admire your honesty.

I can see this becoming important in the future when 3d VR headset's like the Oculus Rift become widely available.
Then you would get the realism of PSX and feel like you're in a cockpit, all for a low investment of money.
Jose, you can't transfer PSX's instrument displays to FSX/X-Plane. Cockpit builders use PSX's original displays directly on a monitor behind the hardware panels.
Yes, I guess I know that, but, in the limit, reading your variables, they could program their own displays.

It would work as if we had VisualPSX or XView, but the 744 in the visuals sim would allow us to use the cockpit to interact with PSX. The displays ( CDU screen, ND, FD ), would have to be programmed and match what is being displayed in PSX as close as possible...

Probably a waste of time and code lines, I know, but it was my early morning idea of the day, before the coffee :)
« Last edit by jcomm on Fri, 17 Jul 2015 14:32:56 +0000. »
Yes, using networked Q variables you can build CDU text screens.

But you can't build EFIS/EICAS screens etc. Believe me.

Most of the display data is not in the network because PSX clients compute them on their own (to relieve the network).
Snif Snif.... Ok, I give up and go to my weekend PSX flights trying to resist the temptation to look sideways...

I'm probably spoiled by the luxury of using TIR 5 in my combat flightsims ....

;-)
« Last edit by jcomm on Fri, 17 Jul 2015 15:37:37 +0000. »
The best thing about using PSX is that in the sim you use for scenery, you can increase your FPS by not having panels and instrumentation being shown as well.
Stick with PSX handling the cockpit hardware and use views on your scenery machine for the pretties... P3D gives some great scenery when used with payware and freeware add-ons... PSX gives a great sim for flying the heavies you love...
To me it is like being in the aircraft (PSX) and seeing the world through the windscreen (P3D) why do you need to show aircraft instruments out the window (ie in P3D)?!?

Enjoy your build.
AB 8)

Page: 1

Old 744 Forum is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software