Old 744 Forum

Archived posts

Connect to PSX server over internet [Solved]

Page: 1

Author Post
Hi guys,

A question for the computer wizards on the forum.
I manage to connect 2 PSX packages installed on 2 different computers on the same local wifi network with each other by using the correct local IP address (eg 192.168.0.120).

How can I find out which IP address to give to a friend of mine so that he can join me on a PSX session over the Internet?
All my devices at home share the same public IP as they connect to the Internet behind a wifi router... but PSX client can not find the PSX server when the public IP has been entered.

Cheers,
Sylvain
« Last edit by Sylle on Thu, 16 Jul 2015 11:09:22 +0000. »
You could try setting up a VPN so you are all on the same 'local' network or use a client like Hamachi (if that is still active) so your two computers can see each other
Moi,
I think you need to set up your router's port forwarding, so that requests coming from your friend's computer (to your public IP address) will then be forwarded by the router to the PSX server machine.

A possible snag is that for doing that, the router must know the request sender's = your friend's (public) address. In itself not a problem. But if that address changes from time to time (as is often the case nowadays, with IP addresses being dynamically assigned), that forwarding info has to be updated, too.

Cheers,
Martin
Thanks for the feedback guys!

@Martin,

Port forwarding in the router settings have solved the problem!
I can now connect to my PSX server using my public IP address.

Cheers,
Sylvain
Sylle wrote
Port forwarding in the router settings have solved the problem!

Glad to hear it!

Just keep in mind (I know what I'm talking about ;) ) that if it stops working again, the reason is most probably that your friend's IP address has changed.
Best to check at the beginning of each session.

Cheers,
Martin

Page: 1

Old 744 Forum is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software