Old 744 Forum

Archived posts

The Views and their angles / projections...

Page: 1

Author Post
At another thread this subject was mentioned, and I would like to return to it in a "dedicated" thread because it turns out to be a very important factor, IMO, regarding the use of the out-of-windshield views in PSX.

I never liked the fully-stretched view, from left to right, with the center post exactly at the center :-). The view is such that it would match that of a jumpseat / checkride crew sitting exactly behind the center console... As HH stated at that other thread, it's center is pointing the same heading as the aircraft.

This view is useless for visual landing, specially if no significant wind is present, and we are not in a pronounced crab, because the rw will be aligned, and obstructed, by the center post :-(

In my 9-packs I usually set 3 views for the PF, and 2 or 3 for the PNF. One of these views always maximizes the windshield window ahead of the corresponding PF / PNF, in a subframe at the top of the layout. This somehow restricts the available view width.

I think it would be good to have a view that matches what happens IRL with the PF position, when seat properly placed ( collimated ), or some way to set the view angle ( an option in the Preferences Menu ). This way we could straighten or widen the view to better match our needs.

Which brings yet another question.... Why weren't side views ever implemented in PS1 and now PSX ? Nothing really fancy would be required - "just" the views to the left / right as they would be available to the PF. ELITE flight simulator has it, in a very basic but effective way and it's an IFR training tool. I know it can be done with the ND, but still, I would rather prefer to have basic side views than no views at all sideways...

P.S.: Ok, as a last resort.... could at least an option to turn OFF the "center post" be available, probably just replacing it by a straight line indicative of it's position ? We could make the center post that thin in any view where it could be drawn, including the fully stretched view .... 8)
« Last edit by jcomm on Mon, 13 Jul 2015 10:45:30 +0000. »
The full width with the center post in the middle is, of course, not designed for 12 o'clock navigation. It just gives maximum view toward left and toward right because the narrower the windshield section, the narrower the view angle.

I mentioned it to explain that the view direction doesn't depend on the location of the windshield section. Whether you move it to the left or right seat, 12 o'clock will always stay in the middle.

Sorry, I have no plans to change the windshield system of PSX.

Cheers,

|-|ardy
Hardy Heinlin wrote
Sorry, I have no plans to change the windshield system of PSX.

:'(

Page: 1

Old 744 Forum is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software