Old 744 Forum

Archived posts

Elvis

Page: 1

Author Post
When I try to open Elvis on either of my computers I get a message telling me to report an error to the author. Help please
Hello,

this message means that ELVis can for some unspecified reason not read the ELVis.ini file; or perhaps cannot find it at all.

So the first step would be to check if this file exists.

It would also help if you start ELVis from a command line ("Command Prompt") as described in the documentation.
You will then probably get a longer error message which will tell us more (I hope).

Good luck!

Cheers,
Martin
Hi, the message which results from entering the command line is as follows:- 'java' is not recognised as an internal or external command.
Hello,

lusitano wrote
'java' is not recognised as an internal or external command.

This means that the problem is not with ELVis itself (or PSX), but on the Operating System (OS) level: for some reason Windows7 (or whatever your OS is) cannot find java.exe and therefore not execute Java applications.

To test this, use the full path in the command line, e.g.
C:\Java\jre7\bin\java.exe -jar PSX_ELVis.jar
(of course, replace it with the correct path on your machine).

For a permanent solution, you can add your Java path to the PATH environment variable; detailed instructions can be found e.g. here or here.

What is not clear: Why does PSX itself (which of course is a Java application, too) not have the same problem? Are you trying to run ELVis on a different computer? It is perfectly possible, but initially I would keep them on the same machine, just for testing until everything works, and only then add the networking aspect.

Cheers,
Martin
Hi Martin. I will try to follow your advice (may need help from my grandson!). I am successfully running PSX on a laptop with windows 7 and a desktop with windows xp. I am awaiting a new joystick to replace my very old sidewinder. The sim is superb, prob. the only one really necessary.

Page: 1

Old 744 Forum is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software