Old 744 Forum

Archived posts

Thrustmaster 16000 M

Page: 1

Author Post
« Last edit by jcomm on Tue, 30 Jun 2015 09:06:13 +0000. »
Hi Jose,
Thanks for the tip.
I have been in doubt weather to buy the warthog stick,it is not that well suited for left hand users.
This one however is, and altough the resolution is not as much as the warthog, it is still much more then the one I have now!
Just placed an order,will have it tonight.

Hopefully my handflying skills will improve :mrgreen:
Ivo
Ivo,

you made a good choice, IMO. I am very pleased with mine, in PSX, but also for the intense dogfights in DCS World and IL2 Battle of Stalingrad :)
Yes,

after 2 weeks with it, and while it works great for DCS and IL2 BoS, I did notice that the deadzones aren't that precise, at least not as good as those I have with my x52 Pro.

This is particularly evident in PSX when we pull / push the "column" all the way - an unawanted but noticeable roll input at the ends of the travel will be created.

As you put it, not bad for the price :-)
After two days of testing, I found now, that the two axis are returning always exactly to zero. Don't know what was wrong on my first little test.
My flying skills have improved dramatically with the Thrustmaster. The Saitek control wheel feels better, but I am not able to control the rolling axis as precise as with the Thrustmaster. Unfortunately I can not use the Saitek throttles with the Thrustmaster so I have to look for another solution.
Cheers
Hi
like falconeye is saying , the axis always return to 0 and are rock solid, no noise or jitters.
and the first ever for me to fit my hand like a glove.
very pleased with it.
Regarding the dead zone, these are just my personal thoughts, and maybe completely wrong.
I cannot believe that in the real aircraft the yoke would have a dead zone, it seems strange to me that an input, however small , is not followed by the response of the intended control surface.
We like to have this dead zone because we pull the stick out of center to the left or right when pull it up or down, thus having some margin to compensate for very poor hardware, in fact, these are toys.
however , I find that with my saitek pro flight yoke, or my mad catz flightstick, who have a large deadzone, it is much more difficult to fly. the tendency to overcompensate is great .
the thrustmaster is sensitive, but very easy in compensating this sensitivity, at least that is what I think.
I don't know the travel distance of the elevators input on the yoke, but the ailerons input are 90 degrees either side. This makes it much easier to control then a joystick, pulling the yoke towards you , a small input to the left or right will not make much difference.
on a joystick with an max. deflection angle of 60 degrees from full left to right it very rapidly becomes a problem.
having said that, this is clearly the best stick I have so far
ivo
Hi
I thought I had a solution, but it does not work concerning the saitek throttles.
The connection on the throttles is a PS2 connector and plugged in on the main yoke body.
I bought a PS2 to USB adapter, but it is been recognized by windows as a mouse.
not visible in PSX usb page , thus not possible to assign an axis to it.
the only thing I can do, though not elegant is to connect the yoke and throttle , put the yoke out of sight, and disable all yoke axis and buttons.
this way I can use the throttles.
ivo
There is a USB-Version of the throttles, but I have no clue
if they work: http://www.amazon.de/Saitek-Pro-Flight-Throttle-Quadrant/dp/B000TCEU4Q#productDetails
I have the USB version of the throttles. They work together with the Saitek Pro Flight yoke. But not if you connect the Thrustmaster and the throttles together on two USB ports.I have tested this only for an IMac. Perhaps it will work under Windows. Or there exist an solution with other throttles.
One word to the Saitek yoke. The problem I think is (at least with the yoke I have) that if you make very small corrections to the left or right (aileron) the numbers row on the USB page in PSX will show numbers between 25 to 40. If I make small corrections with the thrustmaster it will show numbers between 5 to 10. This means you can make smaller corrections and are not in danger to overcompensate. And I doubt you can influence this behavior of the Saitek with the settings in the neutral zone.
I was flying in an A320 simulator last year and as far as I remember there was no deadzone you could feel.
Just bought a second hand Thrustmaster 16000 M. It works really well for me on PSX. A rock solid approach much better than my usual with my old joystick - with which I could never seem to fly very precisely. Throttle is now very precise I find and other controls very easy to control the aeroplane..

I am now looking forward to reviewing Peter's tutorials again now I can fly more precisely than before. I might pass my checkride now!!
Mundyas wrote
Just bought a second hand Thrustmaster 16000 M. It works really well for me on PSX. A rock solid approach much better than my usual with my old joystick - with which I could never seem to fly very precisely. Throttle is now very precise I find and other controls very easy to control the aeroplane..

I am now looking forward to reviewing Peter's tutorials again now I can fly more precisely than before. I might pass my checkride now!!

But, are you using rudder pedals, or th e twist axis? That also makes a huge difference, specially in the 744 during a x-wind takeoff / landing, or under engine failure scenarios. Truly mandatory.
Hi Jose
Thanks for your comments.

At the moment I have been practising my basic flying skills with everything working properly. (I am a bit of a tyro flyer really you know!)

So I am only using the twist function for the rudder at the moment.

Rudder pedals would undoubtebly be the way to go in the future. I will have to think about them and which ones to use?

Notwithstanding - even without rudder pedals I am finding it much more saisfying to fly than with my old joystick.

Andrew
« Last edit by Mundyas on Thu, 23 Jul 2015 13:12:04 +0000. »
Yes, indeed the TS16000 is very smooth and precise.

A Saitek Combat Pro rudder system will be good, and not expensive. That's what I am presently using.
Thanks Jose
I will look into buying that rudder system.

Andrew

Page: 1

Old 744 Forum is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software