Old 744 Forum

Archived posts

Users of PSX_Earth with Chrome: Heads Up!

Page: 1

Author Post
Moi,

as announced earlier, Google will cease to support the Google Earth (GE) browser plugin (in fact, all NPAPI-based plugins) in December 2015.

Now I have discovered by mere chance that in current versions of the Google Chrome browser (v. 42 for 32-bit, and apparently in even earlier ones for the 64-bit variant), the plugin has already been removed quietly (and without asking, of course).

It seems that with some calisthenics it can (or could for a while) still be installed (see the ugly details here and here), but I haven't tried it and thus don't know if it will succeed for PSX_Earth purposes.

So PSX_Earth, through no fault of its own, will (without trickery) no longer function in Chrome already as of now.

In Firefox (v.38 ) it is still working though.

Time to have a peek at PSX_Tellurium perhaps?

Cheers,
Martin
(unpluggined)
« Last edit by martin on Sun, 28 Jun 2015 09:40:47 +0000. »
Hi Martin. Wot am I doing wrong?

An error occurred while rendering. Rendering has stopped.
SecurityError: Failed to execute 'texImage2D' on 'WebGLRenderingContext': The cross-origin image at file:///C:/Tellurium%20Main/cesium_min/Build/Cesium/Assets/Textures/moonSmall.jpg may not be loaded.
Error: Failed to execute 'texImage2D' on 'WebGLRenderingContext': The cross-origin image at file:///C:/Tellurium%20Main/cesium_min/Build/Cesium/Assets/Textures/moonSmall.jpg may not be loaded.
at Error (native)
at new Texture (file:///C:/Tellurium%20Main/cesium_min/Build/Cesium/Cesium.js:68324:20)
at Context.createTexture2D (file:///C:/Tellurium%20Main/cesium_min/Build/Cesium/Cesium.js:115059:16)
at Material.update (file:///C:/Tellurium%20Main/cesium_min/Build/Cesium/Cesium.js:69498:35)
at EllipsoidPrimitive.update (file:///C:/Tellurium%20Main/cesium_min/Build/Cesium/Cesium.js:123807:24)
at Moon.update (file:///C:/Tellurium%20Main/cesium_min/Build/Cesium/Cesium.js:132675:28)
at updatePrimitives (file:///C:/Tellurium%20Main/cesium_min/Build/Cesium/Cesium.js:140443:24)
at render (file:///C:/Tellurium%20Main/cesium_min/Build/Cesium/Cesium.js:140493:9)
at Scene.render (file:///C:/Tellurium%20Main/cesium_min/Build/Cesium/Cesium.js:140534:13)
at CesiumWidget.render (file:///C:/Tellurium%20Main/cesium_min/Build/Cesium/Cesium.js:149892:25)

Thank you in anticipation.

Derek Adam
Hello Derek,

let us try the simplest things first:

I notice that your Cesium path seems to contain a space character:

file:///C:/Tellurium%20Main/cesium_min/Build/Cesium/Assets/Textures/moonSmall.jpg

Or in the usual Windows notation:
C:\Tellurium Main\cesium_min\Build\Cesium\Assets\Textures\moonSmall.jpg
^ space here

If you rename that top level folder to
C:\TelluriumMain\
(without any space), does the problem still occur?

It's not necessarily the most probable cause of the problem, but it is the easiest one to test... :D

Good Luck!

Martin
Thank you for your reply Martin,

Problem not solved by removing space :'(

Interestingly I recall with your previous fine product (Google) the opening screen in the html
file showed an initial airport. (before connecting to PSX). All I get now is a black screen, but with all the parameters of the position/height etc. Connecting to PSX these readouts disappear.

Do you have to have BING installed on one's computer as I did with Google Earth?

Many thanks
Derek
Hello Derek,

a pity it doesn't work yet, but thanks for the feedback.

It seems we now have two problems (these things will cascade :( ) which may or may not be related.

Problem A (the original one):
Cesium apparently cannot find an image it wants (moonSmall.jpg).

To exclude basic issues first, please check if your folder structure corresponds to what you can see in this screenshot.
Your top level folder (in my case "Tellurium") can of course have a different name, but everything under the cesium_min sub-folder should be exactly the same.

If you don't have that folder structure, perhaps best to re-install from scratch and make sure that your extraction tool (e.g. WinZIP) is set to "Use folder names" or similar, and will thus properly create all the sub-folders.

Problem B (which is indeed the more fundamental one):
On opening the Tellurium browser page
Derek wrote
All I get now is a black screen

This means that your Cesium (the library actually providing the scenery) is not working properly.
You should initially (even before connecting to PSX) see the same airport view as in the former PSX_Earth, see this screenshot*.

If you don't, the first question is, which browser are you using?
Cesium applications and thus Tellurium, too, "should" work with Google Chrome and Firefox, but as mentioned in Note 1 of the documentation, I have only been able to get it going with Chrome.

To test Cesium in your browser independently of any Tellurium quirks, you can go to this web site, and click on the Cesium logo in the centre of the banner.
You "should" then see the International Space Station and other satellites orbiting the Earth. (You can zoom in and out with the mouse wheel.)
For me, this demo works in Chrome (v. 40.0.2214.115 m) and Firefox (v.39.0).

But alas, Tellurium will work only in Chrome (see Note 1 in the doc.s for why it is too difficult to "fix" for Firefox).

Derek wrote
Do you have to have BING installed on one's computer as I did with Google Earth?

No, you do not have to install anything beyond what comes with the PSX_Tellurium ZIP file.
And in PSX_Earth, you did not have to have the stand-alone Google Earth application either, just the GE browser plug-in.
But Cesium is a Javascript library, so you do not even have to install a browser plug-in.

Let us know how it goes!

Good Luck!

Cheers,
Martin

* This initial screen should be visible even in Firefox; but things will break down when connecting to PSX via Tellurium.
Greetings Martin

Thank you for your efforts and the prompt reply,

To exclude basic issues first, please check if your folder structure corresponds to what you can see in this screenshot.
Your top level folder (in my case "Tellurium") can of course have a different name, but everything under the cesium_min sub-folder should be exactly the same.

Yes checked the folder structure and this matches yours.

If you don't have that folder structure, perhaps best to re-install from scratch and make sure that your extraction tool (e.g. WinZIP) is set to "Use folder names" or similar, and will thus properly create all the sub-folders.

As a double check I have done a full installation.

I am using Chrome

To test Cesium in your browser independently of any Tellurium quirks, you can go to this web site, and click on the Cesium logo in the centre of the banner.
You "should" then see the International Space Station and other satellites orbiting the Earth.

Yes works fine!

When Tellurium first loads I get the black screen as described before but with the blue aircraft icon showing and the lat/lon/heading and alt showing below of the opening airport screen, but still black. First click of connecting to PSX all lat/lons etc give NaN in all windows. Second click shows "connected to PSX"

If you have seen previous posts of mine you will find those fine gentlemen who have produced other addons for PS and PSX have experienced an increase in the graying of their hair whist sorting my difficulties!

Kind regards,

Derek
« Last edit by martin on Tue, 07 Jul 2015 17:51:43 +0000. »
Hello Derek,

here's a Midnight Special (GMT+3) for you:

I just saw and have so far only skimmed your latest report (for which many thanks), but had an idea [the thundering noise you hear in the background is the wise, stampeding away as fast as they can].

You must load the Tellurium web page with its full URL using the HTTP protocol.
Meaning that in your browser's address field you should have this:
http://localhost:10314/PSX_Tellurium.html
This will load it from the Tellurium server, which is what we want.

You must not simply drag the file PSX_Tellurium.html into the browser, or open it via the browser's File > Open... menu.
This will load it only as a local file (i.e. not served); your address field will show
file:///C:/TelluriumMain/PSX_Tellurium.html ,
the servers will not be involved at all, no proper processing will be done, and all will fail.

I am "kinda" hoping that the latter wrong way is what you did; it would be such an easy solution of all the issues...
But it's a bit too late for me to test this idea properly today. Will try tomorrow.
Immature idea published anyway as it may save you some further research.

Even more good luck!

Cheers,
Martin
EUREKA Problem Solved!!!!!!

You will be delighted to know that I have your fine program working.

The problem laid with the http address. If I loaded Google through chrome I used the address you gave me and hey presto it worked.

Now to get it working through the network.

Thank you for your patience and thorough investigation and reports you gave me.

Tonight you will sleep well!

With many many thanks and kindest regards,

Deredk
Hello Derek,

I'm very pleased to hear it works!

Derek wrote
Now to get it working through the network.

I do not know what setup you are aiming for; but here are a few general tips:

Keep in mind that two network connections are involved:

A. the Tellurium application (gadget) is a client of the PSX server.
It therefore has to know the net address of the PSX server, and it takes this from the psxIP = ... entry in the file PSX_Tellurium.ini

B. The Tellurium web page has to connect (via HTTP protocol) to the mini-webserver built into the Tellurium application.
It learns the address from what you have entered in the browser address bar (and the bookmark), as discussed: http://123.456.789.321/PSX_Tellurium.html
(where the numerical IP address can also be "localhost" or "127.0.0.1" if both are on the same machine)

[C. There is in fact a third server (group) involved, namely the Cesium servers which provide the actual maps and aerial images. But this address is fixed, and "hard-coded" into Tellurium; you don't have to worry about it. However, keep in mind that all these map and image data have always to come over the (wide-area) Internet, which may create time-lag issues, esp. if you are sitting in New Zealand...]

For a network setup, it is important to be aware of the difference between using the Main and the Boost variant (see also the documentation):

Main is slow (5 updates per second), and appropriate only for real top-down map view (Tellurium as a genuine moving map and nothing else).
In this case "stuttering" caused by the slow update rate won't matter that much, and you can put PSX, the Tellurium application (gadget), and Chrome (with the Tellurium web page) on whatever boxes you like. Just make sure that the IP addresses (in PSX_Tellurium.ini and in the browser address bar, resp.) are correct.

However, the more typical and recommended case is probably that one wants to use Tellurium as a genuine scenery generator for the sim, also providing the "3D cockpit view". In this case, speed matters (scenery should be updated as fast as possible), and the Boost variant should be used.

This means that at least PSX and the Tellurium application (as the PSX client) should be kept on the same computer. Otherwise we might lose the update speed of the PSX Boost server (72 times per second) again, through network delays (enroute to Tellurium).

And it's very probably a good idea to keep the web browser with the Tellurium web page on that same machine, too. (I have never tried it otherwise, hence the "probably" qualification).
In any case, you will want to see the "scenery window" (browser) close to the PSX cockpit window, so this setup make the most sense, I think.

Besides, running a mere browser on the same machine as PSX is not nearly so demanding on computer resources as running FSX (or XPlane) on the same machine.

In short, my recommendation is to try and keep everything on one and the same box, at least initially. If it creates problems, we can think on.

Cheers,
Martin
Thank you Martin,

Working fine on the network now.

You and your other accessories men (and the inimitable HH) have made me a very happy man in my retirement

Regards

Derek

Page: 1

Old 744 Forum is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software