Old 744 Forum

Archived posts

Simulating a real flight you are on

Page: 1

Author Post
I am flying in real life from EGLL - WMKK on BA soon :D

I will ahve PSX running on my Macbook Pro. But I dont think I can use it in taxi, takeoff and landing. Perhaps I can save a situ file at 10,000 feet and start from there?

Anyone else done this?
Well, if you use my RealTraffic addon you can follow your own flight (assuming there's inflight internet). :-)
I've tried it, but not very successfully. You would have to know the company route, performance data, cruise altitude, cost index, weather, etc, and have a constant supply of power to your laptop. Are you flying Business Class? I used the moving map display from the aircraft's IFE system to get a basic idea of where to pick up the flight. By the time I got myself organised, I was already at cruise altitude.

Rgds
JHW
Yeah Ill have power. I probably wont be too accuarate, unless I can ask the pilots what CI they are using and if I can see their flight plan!

It would be nice of the cabin crew saw me and maybe I could explain what I'm doing lol.
It would be nice of the cabin crew saw me and maybe I could explain what I'm doing lol.

Cue the legendary tale of the flight attendant who freaked out when she thought a PS1 user was remotely controlling their aircraft from his laptop (and alerted the flight crew if I remember correctly).... :mrgreen:
John H Watson wrote

Cue the legendary tale of the flight attendant who freaked out when she thought a PS1 user was remotely controlling their aircraft from his laptop (and alerted the flight crew if I remember correctly).... :mrgreen:

Lol I know the EK flight crew are friendly, the Australian captain invited me to the flight deck!

Not sure about BA though.
Chris,

Once (before 9/11) I gave my "Big Boeing User's FMC Guide" (Bulfer) to the flight attendant and asked her to show it in the cockpit.
During the flight the Capt'n came to me in the cabin, to bring the book back ..., and invited me afterwards for a long cockpit visit.

John,

Not sure about BA though
I think, we all know one here at least one "Tutorial Capt'n" in this forum, about his friendliness.. we are absolutely sure.

Hessel
Let them know.
I would be surprised if they didn't let you have a look round (on the ground, these days, sadly).
i don't think the CI will help you - all airlines are different - better to match up the groundspeed that you see on the moving map..
I think they would quite happily part with the flight logs etc (they only get stuffed in a catering bin anyway)

Peter
How about sending a special request to the BA (maybe their flight planning/ops department?) Or just ask any of the pilots prior to the departure (for a printed copy of the flight plan, or at least key route points, with a estimated speed and FLs)?

It may sound far fetched, but I do remember one guy successfully scheduled Icelandair's Boeing 757 (registration that was missing to complete his fleet log). It took some time, but I found the specific thread (10Y ago!!).

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/2170277

My motto is following: If you ask, you have a 50:50 chance of a success, if you don't ask, you have a 100% guarantee of a failure! :)

Cheers,
Yes but that's ICE. They take pride in being different. :-)

User posted image
Yup, my shark fin WiFi antenna works. Hmmm, coffee. This cafe beats Starbucks any day

User posted image
First SATCOM install on the Hekla

User posted image
And here she goes. REAL ACARS this time :-)

Hoppie
« Last edit by Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers on Thu, 18 Jun 2015 23:55:23 +0000. »
Britjet wrote
Let them know.
I would be surprised if they didn't let you have a look round (on the ground, these days, sadly).
i don't think the CI will help you - all airlines are different - better to match up the groundspeed that you see on the moving map..
I think they would quite happily part with the flight logs etc (they only get stuffed in a catering bin anyway)

Peter

Thanks everyone for the advice. I fired a message off so fingers crossed!

I do have a private question (more invite) for yourself Peter. But I dont think there is a PM facility on here?
Nice pics, Jeroen!
My flight in real-time from EGLL - WMKK, although I was on a 777-200.

User posted image
We use a program called Foreflight and flight aware
On the day of your flight go to flight aware and enter your flight you are going on, at the bottom you can export flight plan to Foreflight.
I just used it for KJFK to KLAX to YSSY on Qantas. Very accurate.
I did get to speak to the pilots upon parking at the gate. Asked them lots of questions and they seemed impressed by my knowledge (what little of it their is!). I directed them to PSX if they ever want to show their kids how to fly a 747. They also gave me a map of their route :)

http://1drv.ms/1J9NvoL

Page: 1

Old 744 Forum is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software