Old 744 Forum

Archived posts

Traffic question

Page: 1

Author Post
Please bear in mind I am not a real pilot with this question but, why do I never see any traffic moving left to right or vice versa across the ND when I have TFC on?

Suppose there was an A/C say 2000 ft above me on a jetway that ran at 90 degrees to mine? Would this be displayed?

The traffic I see is always moving towards me. Is there a specific reason for this please?

Apologies if this is a dumb question1! :?

Malcolm
That might be an illusion(?)

There are also parallel tracks and abeam tracks. But on the ND traffic symbols, you don't see aircraft headings, just spots, and you may think they are facing you when the distance decreases. An approaching intruder doesn't necessarily face you.

However, it's true that this random generated traffic doesn't care about airways. It's designed for TCAS training and thus your position has sort of a "magnetic attraction" on some or all of the intruders, depending on the selected mode on the Instructor.

Cheers,

|-|ardy
Thank you Hardy.

In fact, on my very next flight I didi have an A/C below me at -22 which was travelling the same track as me, but a little faster, so it was displayed moving away very slowly for some time. These instances have been very rare on my flights, however.

Nevertheless, I did have a suspicion that TFC was simulated for training purposes more than realism and you have confirmed that somewhat.

Many thanks.

Page: 1

Old 744 Forum is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software