Old 744 Forum

Archived posts

VisualPSX v7... a few days with it...

Page: 1

Author Post
After the last flights ( vlights ), I believe I will revert back to the previous version of VisualPSX.

I have set FSX:SE with a configuration meant to be used only for PSX, with no exe.xml or dll.xml, only simconnect.xml in the configs folder.

Although FSX:SE recently installed a patch, involving a new version of simconnect that is supposedly more supportive of various add-ons, I did install the MSI that came with VisualPSX, just in case...

1) But V7 stutters a lot more than the previous version did;
2) I still can't get proper weather depiction when I use the Manual weather setting screen in PSX. Winds and turbulence are active and get promptly "displayed" in FSX:SE, but there are no clouds or rain. If I start with a METAR-based weather scenario with CAVOK, and then manually change the weather settings to rainy, windy, stormy... nothing is displayed in FSX:SE, but I do get the turbulence and shear from the CBs around... also no precipitation at all...

I wonder if any of you with both P3D v2 and FSX could comment on this... Does it behave differently in P3D v2 ? Are clouds / precipitation properly displayed ?

EDIT:
====
Just found that setting the FPS limit in FSX:SE to Unlimited helps. I had it set at 31, and 30 forced in NInspector... Now, no limit in NInspector and Unlimited in FSX:SE and a super-smooth experience, but of course, each system is a system....
« Last edit by jcomm on Sun, 17 May 2015 11:20:43 +0000. »
Some systems are more system than others :-)
Some systems are more system than others :-)

LOL

Very true... especially when it comes to FSX.

Slightly off-topic remark:

With SP2 (or acceleration pack) and next to zero Add-Ons, FSX is stable as a rock und has an impressive performance. It's the combination of wonderful airports (even with transparent windows to see the passengers in the terminal), animated gimmicks, superb looking clouds, accurate AI planes and of course, realistic virtual cockpits with an in-depth system simulation which pushes FSX to it's limit.

And 10 years later we are blaming Micro$oft for not anticipating this level of realism. :-)
Jeroen, and my rig isn't even a top one ( i5 2500 @ 3,2GHz, with a 1 GB Nvidia 650 Ti graphics card ), running Win 7 64 bit Home Premium.

Dirk,

I certainly share your view of FSX, now with FSX:SE. What I have done was adding to the default install, ASN and ORBX FTX Global.

I use ASN sometimes with PSX, disabling VisualPSX's weather injection when flying with RW weather, and using ASN to inject it into FSX:SE (it's visuals component only, of course... ). (*) OTOH, ORBX FTX Global hasn't got a negative impact in FSX's performance - I would say, quite on the contrary...

And this brings yet a few more comments for those who use FSX not only as a visuals generator for PSX, just like me...

I have only one other add-on aircraft in FSX:SE - PMDG 777 - and I use three sets of config files and swap between type of vlying I am up to:

In separate folders I keep:

Folder "PSX only": VisualPSX's simconnect.xml;

Folder "PSX ASN": same as "PSX only" plus the "exe.xml" and "dll.xml" that contain only the ASN-related entries;
(*)

Folder "PMDG only": "exe.xml" and "dll.xml" with the proper ASN and PMDG entries.

IMPORTANT: When I use the PMDG setup, I make sure "simconnect.xml" from VisualPSX IS NOT present in the FSX configs folder, because otherwise it'll be a show of stutters. Using FSX without PSX / VisualPSX, I also set the frame rate limiter to 30 fps in FSX:SE's Display options, because that's what gives me the smoother ride.

When using PSX / VisualPSX, with or without ASN, I set the frame rate limiter in FSX to "Unlimited", because that's actually ( while I find it weird ) the best match in terms of display smoothness.

(*) No longer needed with VisualPSX6.1 / 7.1 because weather injcetion is now working perfectly, and the smoothness is simply AMAZING!
« Last edit by jcomm on Thu, 28 May 2015 07:23:17 +0000. »
I'm on the latest and greatest version of VisualPSX, released today (5631, v6.1 because I am using FSX:SE only ).

As I pointed out in the previous post, I found out that setting FPS limit to Unlimited in FSX gives me the best results, with no stutters and a very smooth ride. But I wanted the best performance and tried using the cockpitless mode in FSX, which gives me an additional ~50 fps ! and lowered scenery autogen sliders both to their minimal ( full left ) settings, because I really just want to see the rw, mountains and water courses, and an hint of where cities are, which ORBX FTX Global and this low settings still provides, with a sort of look of photoscenery...

I'm in Heaven!!!
« Last edit by jcomm on Tue, 02 Jun 2015 20:41:41 +0000. »
I'm in Heaven!!!

???

Just a few thousands of feet high ...... :D

Hessel
Hessel Oosten wrote
I'm in Heaven!!!

???

Just a few thousands of feet high ...... :D

Hessel

Right! FL370 more properly ;-)
Found yet another way to get a hair more of FPS - completely removing the aircraft external model :-) I don't need it anyway, and I seldom look at my landings from the outside, just as I believe most pilots to IRL :)

You can actually gain additional FPS by commenting the MDL entries as suggested for the users of the PMDG 777 in MSFS or P3D, in section [models] of the 744 model.cfg file ( I only commented the normal= entry, but I could probably also comment the interior= one too...).

If you're really not interested in the 3D external aircraft model, or in watching your flight from a voyeuristic perspective :), then this will give you an additional gain in FPSs. May well be not worth the loss of graphics sugar for those who have powerful or multi PC setups, but for an i5 2500 and a 1 GB Nvidia 650 card, it is certainly worth ...
« Last edit by jcomm on Thu, 04 Jun 2015 09:28:13 +0000. »
jcomm wrote
You can actually gain additional FPS by commenting the MDL entries as suggested for the users of the PMDG 777 in MSFS or P3D, in section [models] of the 744 model.cfg file ( I only commented the normal= entry...

If you are flying in 2D cockpit view, without the panel (twice W key), then the aircraft external model is not visible, so it will not cost cpu/gpu cycles.

I don't think removing the external model will help you to increase FPS. At least my tests do not show any difference.
Yes kiek, I though so too, but I did notice a slight increase when I disabled the exterior model.

Anyway, I do use FSX:SE only in cockpit mode, and saved the default flight after the double "W" key hit :-). BTW: I set zoom at 60%, what do you use ?
jcomm wrote
Anyway, I do use FSX:SE only in cockpit mode, and saved the default flight after the double "W" key hit :-). BTW: I set zoom at 60%, what do you use ?

I use P3Dv2.5 and also save the flight after the double "W"hit
My zoom in cockpit view is 1.0.

I have removed allmost all camera definitions except cockpit and locked spot. Locked spot comes in handy when taxiing at an airport, just to be sure your wings do not touch a gate or a petrol truck ;)
kiek wrote
I have removed allmost all camera definitions except cockpit and locked spot.

Nice hint! Thx!

Page: 1

Old 744 Forum is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software