Old 744 Forum

Archived posts

MacBook Pro comparisons

Page: 1

Author Post
I know this has been asked in various ways in the past but I would welcome comments from anyone who has experience of running PSX on a MacBook Pro 13" and/or an MBP 15". I have run PSX quite satisfactorily on an MBP 13" but I'm planning to buy another laptop (so I can pass my current one on to my daughter).

Apart from the increased screen size, should I expect to see much of a performance boost (ie, frame rate) if I go from an MBP 13" to a 15"? Will the quad core etc on the 15" MBP make much of a difference to running PSX? About the only reason I would get the larger MBP is for PSX otherwise the 13" is a more convenient size for travel.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

744kid
Just a thought, Apple is rumoured to release a complete new MacBook Pro 15 inch sometime June!
I'm holding out for that one! I'll take my PSX copy to the Apple shop by that time and see it will work.

Jeroen
FWIW, the laptop I use PSX on is a mid 2014 15 rMBP. I consistently get 62fps. This is using it to drive a 27" Thunderbolt Cinema Display at home. When using it whilst traveling it is a great upgrade from my old MBP 13. I very much appreciate the additional screen real estate. I do use it for work, but my purchase criteria was driven by PSX.

That said, there will ALWAYS be newer, and better. I have been putting off my PC sim machine upgrade for exactly that reason, and am happy to see Intel finally announcing Skylake's arrival.....

Good luck with your decision.

Best- C
Thanks, guys, for the useful feedback. I might hold on until next month to see if the 15" MBP line is refreshed. I tend to lean towards a 13" for travel purposes but the thought of that extra screen real estate to enjoy PSX is very tempting. :mrgreen:

Decisions, decisions..

Cheers,

744kid
Hello

I have got some trouble with java and yosemite.
with java version 6 , psx fps is low (about 20 even with an IMac 27 p fast computer core I7 quadricore) and labels are missing on efis and mcp
with java 8 psx freeze sometimes on startup only if a joystick is connected.
without joystick no freeze and fps is very good, more than 60
the best version is version 7 update (1.07.80) no trouble at all, very fast fps.
i have tried on a mac book air (mid 2011)13 p 8 GO and have got 60-70 fps.
Patrick
Jeroen D wrote
Just a thought, Apple is rumoured to release a complete new MacBook Pro 15 inch sometime June!
I'm holding out for that one! I'll take my PSX copy to the Apple shop by that time and see it will work.

Jeroen

Hi Jeroen, The new 15" MBP was announced today: http://www.engadget.com/2015/05/19/macbook-pro-15-force-touch-imac-5k/

I'm going to stick with the 13" - I'm not sure there's enough in the new 15" to spend the extra money.

Cheers,

744kid
I get about 45 FPS out of my 13 rMBP, and a reported 65 FPS out of my iMac 5k (4 GHz i7/M295X). I have noticed however that the reported FPS seems unreliable, as regardless of limit frame rate in options, it always reports about 5 FPS less.

For "on the road" flying, the 13 is great. Make sure you're on AC power though as it does hit the battery.
So I took the plunge and got myself the new 15" MacBookPro with Retina Display, 2.8GHz, 1TB flash memory.
Downloaded the latest Java JDK version (45), installed PSX and everything appears to be running fine. I'm getting about 60fps, very smooth, even during the day with heavy manoeuvring.

So now I need to upgrade to the latest Beta and get my own settings imported from my old Mac. So far, very happy!

Jeroen
Oh well, cried victory to soon. As soon as I replace the old folder interfaces with the new one, PSX gets stuck loading at 31%. Any thoughts?

Jeroen
Stuck at 31%. Will happen if you attempt to start Aerowinx.jar instead of AerowinxStart.jar.
Assume that's not the case Java 1.8.xxx might induce problems. Had to downgrade Java to 1.7.80 to solve issues with PSX 1.0.4 and the new Interfaces on my rMBP.
Hope that helps.

Regards,
Joerg
Sounds more like the interfaces didn't get replaced correctly.

Seeing as everything worked correctly before and 10.0.4 are greater will stall at load if the interfaces are wrong, I would suspect a problem there.

Should have a error logfile saved in the error folder of PSX that should give a definitive answer.
Jeroen

http://aerowinx.com/forum/topic.php?post=28951#post28951

ive rolled back to update v 31 - was seeing some strange stuff with 45....

fc
Thanks all. Its definitely the interface folder. When I put the original folder back, everything works normal.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong with the new folder. I thought that a Mc will unzip the folder once you have double clicked it into itself. It certainly looks like an unzipped folder. Any thoughts around this?
Thanks
Jeroen
Hi Jeroen,

the new interfaces work only with PSX 10.0.4 or higher.

Are you sure you're using PSX 10.0.4 or higher?

Cheers,

|-|ardy
Thanks Hardy,
No, I was using the 10.0.0 straight out of the box so to speak.

I noticed 10.0.2 has a few add ons as well. Are they compatible with higher releases, or should I upgrade to 10.0.2, add these two, then upgrade to 10.04 and then replace the folder?

I'll give it a try when I get home later tonight

Jeroen
You can install 10.0.4 directly on 10.0.0.

10.0.4 is compatible with all existing add-ons.

You also need to check this: http://aerowinx.com/forum/topic.php?id=2841

|-|ardy
Got it!

Up and running on the latest beta! Got my own lay out pack back on as well. Running on 65fps! Glad I got this sorted. Thanks for all the help!

Jeroen
Excellent- I love the Mac for evening sessions... only using the PCs for full blown flights...

Best- C

Page: 1

Old 744 Forum is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software