Old 744 Forum

Archived posts

Discrete GPU to run PSX smoothly?

Page: 1

Author Post
I have two choices. Would a discrete graphic card make a huge difference to FPS?, especially for manual landings?

1/
Core i5 5200U 2.2 GHz
8GB RAM
Intel HD Graphics 5500

2/
i5 4200H 2.8GHz
8GB RAM
NVIDIA GTX 760 6GB
Thanks for your specs list. I am very tempted by the new Intel NUCs, very compact. I plan to have 3 PCs running 2 displays each (CP ND/PFD & right CDU, upper EICAS & loer EICAS, FO ND/PFD & right CDU). But I dont really want to buy one and find its not powerful enough.

I also plan to have a headless server running PSX in server mode. I would RDp into this from a laptop to act as an instructor station.

Haha, did you drive up from Farnbrough then? I am very excited, like Xmas :D
Hi GodAtum

I'm currently testing an Intel NUC ( i3/1.8GHz/8Gb ) running the complete 'PSX works' (PSX-server/boost, SIOC, PSXseecon & CPFlight) including related OpenCockpit & CPFlight hardware and don't have much of an issue with framerates despite having a 'full' CPT Panel (including upper/lower EICAS) displayed on one screen (27") ... OK, I'm not pegged at 72FPS but I'm not dropping much below 50FPS at any time!

So I would expect that this machine would be sufficient for what you want to achieve.

I did a quick test with just a PFD/ND & CDU setup on the two screens (22" & 8") and was very happy with the results. I expect I'll be going down the same route that you are considering - using NUCs !

Regards
Simon
Cool sounds great. What discrete GPU do they have?
Differs depending on the model. Mine uses a built-in Intel HD5000

Only thing that caused a slight hiccup at the start was that graphic output is via HDMI only! Had to locate some adapter cables before playtime! :D

Page: 1

Old 744 Forum is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software