Old 744 Forum

Archived posts

Training videos

Page: « < ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... > »

Author Post
I needed these before I got myself 10 hours on an abandoned 744ER sim in Frankfurt ... must have flown the circuit 40 times and in the end it was okay but man, you can triple the list of common problems in size ...

Hoppie
Hi Arnout,

I might do one on Oceanic/MNPS procedures and CPDLC. Good idea.
I will add it to the list..

Peter
Thanks Peter,
Wow (*the circuits") this is really hepful.

Cant wait to try this later on.

These videos are so helpful.

Andrew
Thanks for the excellent vids Peter. I got some work to do. Thanks to Hardy's fantastic sim practicing circuits using actual procedures makes this a challenge!
Hi,

Great videos Peter.

I did some tests to get equivalent numbers for the PW and GE engines for those who don't use RR engines (most people I guess :mrgreen:) and here they are:

PW engines (all numbers are EPR): takeoff roll: 1.36, at 1,000 ft: 1.25, at 1,500 ft: 1.15, turning into base leg: 1.12 and final approach: 1.10.

GE engines (all numbers are N1): takeoff roll: 93, at 1,000 ft: 85, at 1,500 ft: 74, turning into base leg: 68 and final approach: 64.

As Peter I did the flights with about 10kt head wind, landing flaps at 25 and GW of 250t.

Cheers,
Thanks for the excellent videos. :)
Thanks Avi,

I think you have just got yourself a job!

Peter
Hi all,

New video uploaded on Circling Procedures.

Peter
Polar ops would be interesting too, with grid navigation.

Great videos!
I've never done Grid navigation so I don't think I'm qualified!

Peter
More great videos - many thanks!

Re circling, 1 question: what procedure do you follow if you need to go around after leaving the Loc, e.g. if you lose sight of the runway when circling or screw up the approach and end up too high or fast?

M
That was mentioned in the video.
Basically, unless you get clearance to the contrary - you turn towards the initial approach path and intercept the published missed approach.
Boeing guidance is to "turn towards the airfield" initially.
In my experience this doesn't always work - in particular the aircraft will sometimes turn "the wrong way" to follow the MAP. It has to be monitored carefully in LNAV and steered in HDG is it isn't working out.

Peter
Oh my god, now I know why my circuits never worked as they should. Great videos. But now back to training :P
Thanks Peter for your fantastic tutorials,
for us flightsim enthusiasts your tips and insights
make our simulated flights much more easier to handle

Thanks again
Panos
My pleasure, guys. I'm glad they are being well received..

Peter
There is no rule, but I would think probably the former..

Peter
Peter,

Thanks so much for these tutorial videos. I have just spent 4 hours flying left and right circuits at KLAX, using your procedures and datums, followed by 2 hours of circle-to land practice. As you said, my confidence and proficiency at performing these maneuvers has steadily increased.

Rather than let the automatics handle the approach, as has been my practice in most of my simulated flying, I now look forward to performing a manual circuit and landing on my next 744 international flight if destination weather allows.

I also have found that using the practice of flying to specific thrust and pitch datums translates well to other high-fidelity add-ons, like the 777 and 737 PMDG products for P3D. The specific datums will be different for other types of aircraft of course, but using your logical techniques certainly apply to those airframes as well.

I have found though, that I will benefit from upgrading my primary flight controller to something with higher resolution and less "twitchiness" than the CH yoke I have been using.

Thanks again for producing these tutorials. Looking forward to the next ones!
Glad to hear it, Jim - and thanks.
I will be producing videos on RMI tracking and non-precision approaches next..

ATB

Peter
Britjet wrote
Glad to hear it, Jim - and thanks.
I will be producing videos on RMI tracking and non-precision approaches next..

ATB

Peter

Excellent! Looking forward to both. Will you touch on flying DME arcs at some point in your series?

I've been using a BAW model for my circuit practice. Whenever I begin the descent and extend the gear before turning toward the inbound course, I get CAS warnings indicating I should enable the override pumps and fuel crossfeeds. I assume this is caused by flying with minimal automation? With 40 tons, on a flight under full FMS control, one would normally be in tank-to-engine configuration. I don't have the warnings on takeoff, only after going to flaps 25 and lowering the gear.

Time to revisit the Aerowinx manual!

Jim Barrett
Automation makes no difference to the fuel management. I'm not sure why you are getting this, but try reducing the fuel, so that it is definitely "tank to engine"

Flying DME arcs, there is not really a technique for this, other than sticking the needle at 90 degrees and turning in or out depending on DME. The LNAV will fly a published arc well, however. I don't think I have ever seen anyone trying it without LNAV...
Peter
Britjet wrote
Automation makes no difference to the fuel management. I'm not sure why you are getting this, but try reducing the fuel, so that it is definitely "tank to engine"

Flying DME arcs, there is not really a technique for this, other than sticking the needle at 90 degrees and turning in or out depending on DME. The LNAV will fly a published arc well, however. I don't think I have ever seen anyone trying it without LNAV...
Peter

I'll try reducing fuel a bit, though my 40 ton load is evenly distributed at about 10 tons per tank before takeoff. In fact, if I configure override pumps and crossfeeds "on" before takeoff, I then get a CAS warning that I should instead be in tank-to-engine configuration (which I what I would expect)
I see the same thing regarding fuel - it wants to start with x-feed open and override pumps on, then it decides that it wants to be tank-to-engine (even though that was already obvious and configured).
It may possibly be something to do with the 2&3 crossfeeds which are configured by the flaps being in Take-off position.

That shouldn't give a fuel configuration warning with this - as it is a "normal" thing.

Peter
amazing vidoes :D could you be so kind as to share your situ circuit files please?

Page: « < ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... > »

Old 744 Forum is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software