Old 744 Forum

Archived posts

Training videos

Page: « < ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 >

Author Post
Hardy Heinlin wrote
By the way, it looks like part 1 is not public and part 2 is public. Why not make both public on YouTube?

Hi Hardy

I have corrected to my original intention to keep Part 2 "unlisted".
It's down to Gary on this one, (it's his sim, of course) but as you will know I originally wanted to keep all my videos accessible only through PSX. It is worthy of thought and I am open to suggestions.. but I don't really feel comfortable being "mainstream" with all that might entail..
After all, I might be talking Bo**ocks!

Peter

EDIT - I have talked to Gary and he is happy to make them public...
« Last edit by Britjet on Mon, 29 Jun 2015 18:14:57 +0000. »
Gary Oliver wrote
It's someone else's turn to play Mavis next time!

But Mavis, you have such a lovely set of coconuts. :lol:

Jon
At this rate Mavis' coconuts will be going viral
Peter & Gary-

WOW! What a treat it has to be to be able to operate a sim like that! I'm not prone to jealous fits... but this has to be marvelous....

Peter, I must tell you how thankful I was you stayed the course and used BA procedures... it was fun to follow along on the well worn copy of 02-NP-30-1 dated 1 January 2007. Things are MOSTLY the same, with a couple of changes with your newer checklists... however, I was most gratified to see that I hadn't been making a complete hash of it these past decades :).

I eagerly await the next installment.... and hope that at some time in the future we shall see you fly the IGS into Kowloon Bay, in the middle of a monsoon, with wipers clacking, the stadium a blurry streak, and sweat pouring off your forehead at the same rate as the precipitation driving into the windscreen ;). Cheung Chau, to Golf, to Sha Lo Wan, to the Outer and then Middle followed shortly by Checkerboard Hill.... has a nice ring to it doesn't it? Never have the bland words, "Continued flight on the IGS flight path after passing MM will result in loss of terrain clearance" needed more attention ;).

Splendid mate!

C
Hello Britjet,

First of all, thanks for the videos, they are very usefull. In the preflight video part 1 you entered 6.4 tons reserve fuel into the perf init page but, why 6.4 tons. How do you determine this ammount of reserve fuel?

Thanks in advance,
Freddy.
Hi Freddy

I didn't look closely at the flight plan for our purposes but it would have been reserve fuel (30 mins) and diversion - which was probably KEWR. It is the sum of both, from the flight plan.

6.4 would have been a rather tight fuel but I wasn't going to waste video time on it - a more realistic figure would be typically 8 or 9 tonnes..

Cheers

Peter
Don't forget to put that broken Rudder Trim Indicator in the Tech Log ;) Cat B MEL

Great video... It would be nice if all preflights were as easy as this :mrgreen:
It's not broken it's just not plugged in, surely that's an acceptable excuse on the MEL :)?
Gary-

May I volunteer to fly over and plug it in? ;)

Very impressive!

C
Hello Peter,

thanks a lot for the great preflight videos! I love your series of very educational videos!
They give me a great learning and relaxing time beside building my 747 flightdeck!

Compliments also to Gary for this great simulator!

Best regards from a sunny Vienna
Hans
Triple7, would you mind to resize your profile avatar to a resonable size ...? Whenever I open this thread, it seems your picture is oversized, blowing up my webbrowser :-p I guess I'm not the only one?!
http://i.imgur.com/ROO1zjX.jpg
Excellent videos, Peter. I never thought about this until watching your control check -- I've always checked the left rudder first. Now that I think about it, everyone I know here in the US does the left rudder first. But we drive on the right side of the road. I wonder how they check it in Germany or the Netherlands! Thanks again.

Jon
Dennis B wrote
I guess I'm not the only one?!

Same problem here.
I can switch the avatar auto-resizer off to demonstrate the problem better :-)
I've never had a problem with it, weird, I blame Britjet as he made it.

Hopefully fixed now, sorry!
« Last edit by Triple7 on Thu, 02 Jul 2015 09:17:17 +0000. »
Triple7 wrote
I blame Britjet as he made it.

You should know by now that nothing is ever my fault :-)
Peter, thanks for all your helpful tutorials.

In your preflight tutorial #1, you mention waiting until the APU is on before turning the packs to NORM. Is that because you don't have ground air conditioning available? If you had ground air conditioning, would you turn the packs to NORM right away?
Hi Will

As far as I am aware (and the tech guys may no doubt wish to comment) you don't use the packs when ground air conditioning is connected. The air should be cooled anyway. In my airline we would sometimes have ground air and packs as well, probably because it increased the airflow and hence the comfort factor, but there was an engineering downside to this in that it apparently damaged the NRVs from the packs (I believe that was the official line). We had engineers complaining that our operation of the packs was giving them problems.

The main problem was that often the ground aircon wasn't as good as having the packs on, but there was no-one to remove the ground aircon in the early stages of a typical turnround , so we ran the packs anyway.

The engineers weren't best pleased! So then switched to a compromise system whereby the packs could be operated for a max of 30 mins with aircon air attached.

That was just my company. Others would have had different ideas.

The packs won't operate unless there is pressure in the duct anyway..

Peter
I can't look my single computer screen square in the eye anymore after seeing that incredible sim! Thanks for another great tutorial.
Thank you Peter for your great tutorials.

I play golf with an 90 year old ex airline pilot.

He started on DH56's, Electras, Lodestars, DC3's and completed on 737's.

I referred him to your wonderful video tutorial page and suggested that he have a look at #8 first. (Taking off from Milan)

Although he is 100% mentally he did not understand anything that you said!!!

Things have certainly moved on since his flying days!

Cheers

Derek
Good job peter !

Great videos...

Would be nice to record a POGO flight with this simulator.

Adrien
Thanks Adrien,

Ok - I give up. What's a POGO flight? Is that like a LOFT?

Peter
The main problem was that often the ground aircon wasn't as good as having the packs on, but there was no-one to remove the ground aircon in the early stages of a typical turnround , so we ran the packs anyway.

The engineers weren't best pleased! So then switched to a compromise system whereby the packs could be operated for a max of 30 mins with aircon air attached.

I can't even believe you got 30 minutes. There were two problems at our port. One was that the aircraft packs were sometimes damaging the ground air equipment with the back pressure (The airport authority was complaining about this so Engineering had to heed their request not to run the packs at the same time). Secondly, the check (non-return) valve didn't seem to be robust enough and the flapper would break off and in some cases disappear into the aircraft ducting). I think in some cases, the ground air and pack air would have similar output pressure and the flapper would oscillate violently leading to premature failure. When the bean counters and greenies told Engineering to start using ground air whenever they could, they soon ran out of spare check (non-return) valves. They had to fabricate parts in the Sheet Metal shops. In some cases, this caused departure delays.

If a broken check valve is not discovered prior to departure, you not only lose the use of that pack, you run a risk of pressuring area between the aircraft skin and the wing to body fairing panels (which will blow out the panels). Fortunately, check valves further down the line prevent you from losing cabin pressure.

Rgds
JHW.
Yes Peter it is like a LOFT...
It could be a nice sequel ! :D

Page: « < ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 >

Old 744 Forum is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software