Old 744 Forum

Archived posts

Training videos

Page: « < ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 > »

Author Post
Or, maybe it simply is correct, and no one can really tell because I'm afraid that's the kind of maneuver not trained in a Full Flightsim, and even less IRL....

I would prefer to find out that after all, this is correct. And I am digging through some Roskam data to find out the moments, through interpolation....

here, also here and at many other links some interesting stuff :-)
Britjet wrote
Thanks Stephane..

I would only quote my own technique in turbulence which probably has no particular merit - but..
The real aircraft experience - because of the length of the fuselage you go vertical and sideways quite alarmingly! Not comfortable. It is a bit like not being totally in control of an office-block on a roller-coaster!
Airspeed trend vector can be alarming but really doesn't help much except to make things look bad - remember it is a 10-second vector and a gust rarely lasts more than a second or so so it is important not to be 'panicked' if you see the trend vector going into the stall area!

1) Fly attitude - try to hold the pitch you want even if the aircraft is pitching up and down in the gusts. Don't worry too much about glideslope - the important thing is the touchdown point. For a very high ROD (say 1200 fpm?) then strongly consider a GA.
2) Use a healthy speed increment (up to 20 kts)
3) Many pilots like Flap 30 in windy approaches. It helps prevent a float..Just watch the flap protection envelope..
4) Don't use autothrottle, apply a datum thrust and try not to change it too much.
5) If you see an unhealthy speed trend that persists then make a sensible thrust change - slamming throttles backwards and forwards may make you feel better bit won't help
6) Try to resist overcontrolling in aileron - it is easy to do!
7) Don't hold off - floating 10 feet above the runway in a gale with no visible means of support is not a good idea! Better to crunch it in!

If directional control goes wrong then strongly consider a go-around - even after touchdown if the reversers haven't been deployed.

As I say - just my ideas..

Peter

Thanks for your informations Peter, I will practice again.
Do you use rudder input on the approach ? or just ailerons and elevator ?

Stephane
Hi Stephane

On an approach which is not asymmetric, no absolutely not. You should never (in my opinion, which saves arguing about it!) use rudder to change direction on a swept wing aircraft (unless to "kick" off drift at touchdown, of course).

Peter
Hello Peter,

First of all, I would like to thank you again for these great tutorials. We are so lucky here to have somebody sharing his professional experience with us, with such a great pedagogy, kindness, and humour.

I personally watch your videos many times each, take some hand records during watching, and then go for training on my own simulator. The schematics and PSX screenshots you show are wonderfull and I was guessing if it could be easy for you to share them with us. Are they Powerpoint ? I would like to print them to build some personal "type rating courses" on paper, with your pictures and schematics, and my personal notes (for simulation use only of course).

Do you think it could be possible, and easy for you to upload these documents ?

Best regards and thanks again.
Hi Jean-philippe,

why not just set the video to full screen in 1080 HD and take a screen shot (and then crop the part you need in a picture editor)? It may not be perfectly sharp, but if it's just for "personal notes" ...

Cheers,

|-|ardy
Hi Hardy,

Very good idea. I gave it a try and it is very satisfactory for my usage. Thanks for the "trick" ;)

Peter, you can disregard my request, and keep all your time to continue producing these wonderful tutorials.

Cheers
« Last edit by JP744 on Sat, 23 May 2015 04:28:36 +0000. »
Hi Jean-philippe

Thanks for the comments.
Actually I haven't been saving the powerpoints - I just keep overwriting and deleting.
Not very efficient!

Peter
New video uploaded..

"Engine failure on Take-off - Management."

Enjoy!

Peter
Hi Peter,

great tips again, thank you!

Especially the one re counting the seconds during rudder trimming, or the 15 minute interval re fuel configuration ...

|-|ardy
Thanks Hardy..

Peter
Ta as ever Peter. I have learned so much from your videos... and I must confess, like your illustration, I do go back and watch them over (and over).

C
Thanks, Carl..!

Peter
A "full flight..."

It would be great, at least for me, to watch a video of a full flight from C&D to arrival gate.

Some parts of the flight could be compressed, but items like initial cockpit prep, setting the route and performance, use of the communications, etc..., would be great to watch.

:-)
As new virtual pilot of PSX -> i agree :D with @jcomm.

@Britjet: Many thanks for your excelent tutorial videos!!
« Last edit by Britjet on Thu, 04 Jun 2015 14:06:56 +0000. »
Yes, for me this will be fully ok :)!
Ok - the main problem is that there are many different SOPs for these phases, but I will try to do some with basic Boeing procedures.

Peter
:) thx alot Britjet, you are the best^^!!! This will be very helpful for me!

Sebastian
That would be great Britjet, even more if including the use of COMMS, that is still tricky to many ...

Thank you!
jcomm wrote
... including the use of COMMS, that is still tricky to many ...

It's also tricky to find out what some users don't understand. Actually, the system is trivial. But maybe some former experience from a different simulation is blocking the user's mind making the whole thing now much more complicated than necessary?

I think when a user doesn't understand the usage of the ACP and RCP, the user should explain what effect he expects when a certain switch is moved. What is in his mind? One could write a whole book about ACP and RCP and then check if the user finds an answer on a specfic question. -- Or, vice versa, the user tells exactly what in his mind disagrees with his expectation, and then one could explain the actual problem much better because this way one gets an idea of what "way of thinking" is blocking the user's understanding.

So, in my opinion, a simple "I still don't understand this" cannot be solved by a "Wait, I'll write you a book" :-)

|-|ardy
True HH, and I think Britjet has already given a very good description of how it all works, as a complement to the PSX Manual pages... But seeing it in action can further help ....
« Last edit by jcomm on Thu, 04 Jun 2015 16:47:18 +0000. »
Britjet wrote
(I don't want to show myself up by actually flying!)

I, for one, do like actual flying in videos -- but I don't like my voice! :-)

Perhaps we can combine our preferences in an additional video series:
You talk, I fly? :-)

Cheers,

|-|ardy
Great idea, Hardy!

Actually I have one in mind - It's a 2-engined approach into Quito on Cat1 limits with a 40-kt crosswind and a failed Wing Gear.

Off you go - just getting my mic adjusted :-)

Peter
I hope your suggestion is not ironically meant :-)

I'll try it!

Just tell me ...

Which engines fail?
Wing gear left or right?
Crosswind left or right?

!-iardy
Actually - I think I'll do a specific one on the ACP etc - just babbling on while using it should clear a few misunderstandings..

Peter

Page: « < ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 > »

Old 744 Forum is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software