Old 744 Forum

Archived posts

Training videos

Page: « < ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... > »

Author Post
Britjet is doing some live training on non-precision approaches.

http://www.twitch.tv/simfestuk
It seems I missed the live presentation. Is there any way to watch it?
@United744 - they are just now starting a flight!

@Britjet - you look just like I imagined. :D Thanks again for your amazing tutorials!

Cheers,
Bernd
Ahh, great!
Here is the link to a picture !!! Peter is the Co- pilot 8)

Are videos to download from this event existing?

Horst

http://www.fotos-hochladen.net/view/simfestcouk8gt4aoflm5.png
« Last edit by Horst on Sun, 15 Mar 2015 21:12:10 +0000. »
United744 wrote
Ahh, great!

Indeed! Very interesting.

Regards

Raj
Berndo wrote
@Britjet - you look just like I imagined. :D Thanks again for your amazing tutorials!

Oh Dear... :-(

Peter
http://www.twitch.tv/simfestuk

If you go to TWITCH and click on "simfestuk" above and left of the opening flight deck frame it should take you to "past broadcasts". Today's flight is on there..

Actually 4 flights:
TAPA-TNCM RNAV app with Capt Mark (total newby) and instructor Britjet
TNCM-TAPA VOR app with Capt Gary (sim owner) and F/O Britjet
Then Britjet making a fool of himself in 25kt X-wind at TAPA :?
Then Capt "Benny" and F/O Gary doing Dubai to Doha ILS

Be warned, some muttered strong language (very) occasionally and it is over 5 hrs!
I think it auto-deletes after a while..

Peter
Capt. Mark here!

Yes, Peter hinted at this; my first ever time at the controls of an aircraft. Amusing video here

It's a testament to Peter's great instruction and guidance that I was able to do this for the first time without any aircraft damage! If you're confused as to the heavy usage of the word 'hat' then I'd refer you to Peter's 10th video - 'Landing'.
« Last edit by Mark on Sun, 15 Mar 2015 23:09:44 +0000. »
Hi Mark/Britjet

Just watched TNCM approach - looked like really good fun :)

@Britjet whilst I am here - the constant EPR numbers you speak about - I have used something similar before, but then over time went back to sloppy power changes. As a result of constant EPR numbers I flew todays approach and it was the most rock-solid approach in a while in that I needed very little control inputs, excecpt of course to decrab / flare.

Thanks

Carl
Good job, Mark! Nice landing.
Love your vids Britjet!
Would be great to learn about non precision approaches.
Nic
http://www.twitch.tv/simfestuk/b/637234009

Britjet wrote:"" I think it auto-deletes after a while.."

(newbie)
Gentlemen, this might be something to get access to the interstices of Twitch :

Peter, I love your video,s!!

Fr@nk
I've been having fun practising circuits at LHR. Winds these days are from the east so I've been using 09R with right hand turns, but as I descend and turn onto base and final I get GPSW warnings: terrain, pull-up etc. (VS is never more than -900fpm.) I had the same problem when flying the Canarsie approach to JFK. Is this a quirk of the programme, the nav database, or is there something wrong with the way I've set up the plane? Here's my situ file just before takeoff: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ry3ozj87lub3iw0/EGLL%2009R%20circuits.situ?dl=0
This might be a TCF (Terrain Clearance Floor) alert from the EGPWS. It may occur when your final track to the target runway is largely offset, or your vertical path will end short of the runway; i.e. the EGPWS will think you're going to land "on the grass". This alert is not sinkrate related, it's based on a database in the EGPWS. If you are sure your approach tracking and your vertical profile is correct, push the TERR OVRD switch to inhibit all alerts related to the EGPWS database. The EGPWS database consists of terrain data and runway data, independent from the FMC database. The EGPWS uses a certain algorithm to determine which runway you are aiming at, independent from the FMC.

For reference:
Page 533
Page 541

(The real EGPWS includes a further database that inhibits nuisance alerts at certain airports with unusual approaches; Honeywell modifies it from time to time, based on practical experiences. This extra inhibit database is beyond the scope of PSX's EGPWS; so, with PSX you might use the OVRD switch more often than with Honeywell's latest EGPWS update.)

Regards,

|-|ardy
Thanks, Hardy, for the explanation - that all makes sense. In fact the warnings add to the fun! If this happened in a real word scenario presumably you'd initiate a go-around, reassess the situation, and if you were sure there was in fact no problem with terrain clearance, press the inhibit and do another approach?

M
Sorry for the recent lack of "video-fixes"- I hope no-one has developed withdrawal symptoms...
(I have been updating Prepar3d to ver 2.5 - terrific fun and not at all time-consuming :-) If only it was like Hardy's "JARs" ...)

New video now uploaded on RMI tracking - the first of 3 videos concerning Non-precision Approaches.

Cheers!

Peter
Hi
Since I learned from Peter to fly the datum's I tried a few settings to understand it better.
here are the numbers if anyone should be interested.
it is an excel file.
Peter, If you do not like it for me to use your comments regarding the top / bottom hat I will remove this link
Ivo
:oops:
http://www.hoppie.nl/forum/var/Thrust_settingss_RB211.xlsx
« Last edit by Ivo de Colfmaker on Sun, 22 Mar 2015 15:20:33 +0000. »
G'day Peter,

thanks again for these really informative videos. The circuits and landing videos have really assisted me to refine my hand flying skills.

A quick request if you do get around to creating a video on `holding' regarding managing the automatics to achieve specific time-based constraints in a hold.

For example, often here in Australia (and likely elsewhere) for traffic management, aircraft are given holding clearances similar to this..

`ABC hold at XXXXX, adjust speed and pattern as necessary to leave XXXXX at time ABCD, speed 250 knots from XXXXX'.

My question is... is there a way through the FMC to program this kind of hold clearance, or do you make direct MCP inputs to speed, heading etc to achieve the result.

Appreciate your consideration of this request.

cheers
Scud.
For RMI tracking we used the cat/dog idea: if you want the animal to go somewhere you either "push the head" or you "pull the tail" :-). Although animal lovers might not really like that comparison.

Oceanic procedures would be very interesting for the world of simulation as not many people know about these procedures.
Hi Scud

Thanks for the comments. I will talk about altering the time in the holding video when that is produced, but in raw terms - you don't need to change the speed in the hold, (it can confuse the system for its radius of turn anyway).

The best way to judge affect timing overhead is to change the outbound leg distance or time, which you can do in the hold itself, but it's a bit hit and miss.

The other tool is the EFC which is the "Expect Further Clearance time" but this doesn't actually change the hold geometry, it just assumes that you will leave the hold at that time for fuel and ETA calculation purposes.

IefCooreman - Agreed - already on the list!

Cheers

Peter
The video is at the bottom right to see a map. What's this? MAP! by Flight1?
Skino wrote
The video is at the bottom right ...

You mean a certain video on Britjet's YouTube page? Every visitor on that page sees different videos on the right side. These are suggestions by YouTube based on your personal cookies. If you have watched 100 Beethoven videos, you will see lots of Beethoven videos on the right side. I, for one, don't see a "MAP" video of Flight1 there.

|-|
I mean the Video http://www.twitch.tv/simfestuk/b/637234009

User posted image

Page: « < ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... > »

Old 744 Forum is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software