Old 744 Forum

Archived posts

RealTraffic 1.0 beta and updated Foreflight 2.0 beta

Page: « < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > »

Author Post
Hi all, 1.0.9 is out... download time again!

Please make sure you run it in debug mode, and if unexpected behaviour occurs, to send me the text file. Run it with the following command:

java -jar <path to your jar>/RealTraffic.jar debug > debug.txt

This will write the output into the file debug.txt. Send me that file to balt at inside.net.

New features
- The colour scheme of the "radar" screen can be changed, there are three schemes to choose from. At some point that will be customisable. v2...
- The window location, size, zoom level and color scheme are stored in the ini file. Press "save" when you have a setting that you like and it'll start up loading them.
- The aircraft labels now show your distance from the traffic. This should make it easier to identify whether the scale on your ND should even display it.
- It now loads and displays traffic even if the aircraft is stationary. I.e. you can sit in the middle of the runway and see landing traffic coming at you. Load the Sydney departure situ (outside our curfew hours of course) and see stuff coming your way.
- There are now two range rings, making it somewhat more obvious how far you can see...
- I have modified the traffic update frequency to 5 seconds, twice as fast as before. Maybe that makes a difference for those who still have traffic problems.
- longitude selection for the traffic is now within an equidistant scale to 3 degrees at the equator, e.g. it's scaled by 1/cos(lat).
- Traffic now shows a trend vector, length determined by ground speed, direction by direction of flight.

Important things to note
- If you don't have TFC selected for the ND, the traffic will not show up.

Cheers

- Balt
« Last edit by Balt on Sat, 24 Jan 2015 02:38:57 +0000. »
Hi Balt,

PSX often gets a StringIndexOutOfBoundsException because it relies on the trailing semicolon.

TfcVel sometimes gets a string from RealTraffic 1.0 beta that doesn't end with a semicolon, e.g.:

-896;0;149;-1152;0;169;-768;0;204;-768;0;148;3328;0;391;-128;0;194;-640;0;180

When this happens, PSX considers the input invalid and stops its timer mechanisms for external traffic.

Just be sure there is always a semicolon at the end. I think that's all.

Cheers,

|-|ardy

And RealTraffic 1.0 beta always sometimes sends the floats in TfcPos with commas instead of decimal points (German setting on this computer). PSX requires points, otherwise the input is ignored.
« Last edit by Hardy Heinlin on Sat, 24 Jan 2015 08:23:34 +0000. »
Hi Hardy,

thanks for this! Very useful to discover that PSX will throw exceptions to the command line when they do occur, I could have found this myself earlier. I'll test my plugins against running PSX from the command line in the future!

It's fixed now, version 1.0.10 is up and always has a trailing semicolon on the velocity and traffic strings.

Hopefully this solves the mystery of the disappearing traffic. I'm also upping the refresh to 10s again, 5s puts unnecessary load on the traffic servers.

Cheers

- Balt
One more thing. See edit :-)

Ah, while you're at it. Could you set 9 sec instead of 10?
Yeah that's fixed also in 1.0.10, thanks for noticing!

I had a couple of String.format()'s in there that didn't do the Locale.US option. If you downloaded in the last 2 minutes you should be ok.

Cheers

- Balt
Ok, 9 seconds it is. Just to make sure we're all on the same version now, I augmented the version one build number more.

1.0.11 is now the current version

Let me know if you find anything else... :-)

Cheers

- Balt
It works!

Fantastic :-)

|-|
Glad to hear that. Time soon to get this out of beta then... and listed on the addons page?

Cheers

- Balt
Hi Balt/Hardy,

Yes!! Thanks a lot :D

Frans
Balt wrote
Glad to hear that. Time soon to get this out of beta then... and listed on the addons page?

Sure.

I just experienced a (virtual) inflight collision with an Airbus over Hong Kong. I lost 2 engines and other stuff. But the Airbus is OK :-) I was intentionally trying to get as close as possible.

|-|
Yes, now it's working for me too. This release is so much better than the previous ones. I think the ./, problem Hardy noted did the trick for me too. I see planes all around EHAM now. Great!

Robert
Thank you Balt, the latest beta is working correctly.

No apparently hiccups as of yet.

Is there anyway to integrate the coordinates of the aircraft as they are taxing on the ground (for windshield visibility, not TCAS alerts)?

Cheers!
Hardy Heinlin wrote
Balt wrote

Sure.

But the Airbus is OK :-)

Ha, now at least we know who builds the better planes :mrgreen:
Kockie69 wrote
I see planes all around EHAM now. Great!

Almost ok, at the ND is fine but in Prepared 3DV2 I only see them every 9 seconds pop-up and IMMEDIATELY disappear again ... ??

Nico
« Last edit by kiek on Sun, 25 Jan 2015 12:15:53 +0000. »
@OmniAtlas: Yes, that is likely a doable option, just a flag, I'm filtering out ground traffic at the moment. The proper way to fix this is to use the UDP messages that show ALL the traffic in the area, not just the 7 nearest ones. I've told Garry how to use that, not sure if/when he will have time to implement that.

@Nico: I just tried with FSX and I can't see any traffic. The VisualTraffic addon doesn't display anything at all in the GUI, I'm assuming it should display which traffics it is transmitting to FSX/P3D in the list 1-7 in the GUI that is empty.

You're right that every 9 seconds it looks as if it quickly displays some traffic. I don't know why it would go away if the data doesn't change. I thought PSX interpolates from the data I inject. It certainly does so on the TCAS display.

Cheers

- Balt
Thank you, Balt,

its working very correct now and I get nervous when trying to get into the queue for RWY34 at LOWW.

Regards Robert.
Robert, don't be ashamed, the others are as nervous as you when they see you coming in from the West to line up :-)
@Robert: Fedex and UPS use ADS-B for self separation at some of their hubs, allowing much closer spacing than regular radar guidance. Perhaps time you started practising that to fit inbetween traffic...

Other than that, it's about time you lot started treating PSX like a real sim. No crashes allowed, treat it like the real thing! ;)
Hi balt,

hanks very much for this addon :) In Xplane with Xview I cannot see traffic either. I have draw PSX traffic enabled in Xview.
Balt wrote
@Robert: Fedex and UPS use ADS-B for self separation at some of their hubs, allowing much closer spacing than regular radar guidance. Perhaps time you started practising that to fit inbetween traffic...

No we dont (I'm at FDX). However, the FAA did go to RECAT here in KMEM which does permit closer separation, ADS-B is not required.

http://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=70804&omniRss=news_updatesAoc&cid=101_N_U
Hi Doug,

interesting to hear. I was at CTI in Memphis 11 or so years ago with Alan Mullen's team working on a HF training platform. He told me they were trialling reduced separation based on self-separation using ADS-B. But now that you're saying you're not, the only reference I can find to that is indeed from a MIT thesis in 2005... so likely that never came to fruition. Surprising!

Cheers

- Balt

(probably the experiment referred to on pg 36 here: http://dspace.mit.edu/bitstream/handle/1721.1/44935/312426317.pdf?...1)
Has anyone succesfully used Balt's amazing software with Garry's amazing VisualPSX, and the Live ATC Chatter software ( http://www.cielosim.com/liveatc ) ?

Regards
I am only getting the "flash" of traffic every 9 seconds on FSX (actually P3D).
I haven't tried the ATC program, but now we have a live TCAS feed, and hopefully a continuous FSX feed, it would interesting to have it..

Britjet
What fascinating new addons are being developed for PSX. Hardy has made it so easy for good ideas to become reality! I am away from home but will be able to investigate how TrafficPSX could complete the picture (so to speak) in a few weeks.

Cheers,

Garry, at what rate are you reading PSX traffic? I could try to interpolate position information and update traffic at that same rate.

Cheers

Balt

Page: « < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > »

Old 744 Forum is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software