Old 744 Forum

Archived posts

Saitek Controls far too sensitive

Page: 1

Author Post
Hello everybody and greetings from Europe...I am impressed by your product, but unfortunally I am not able to fly it. My saitek pro flight system is far too sensitive and this becomes pretty anoying during final. I flew the 767 in real life, so I guess I have a good idea of what it should be like. There must be a mistake in my system, but I am unable to find it. Here is what I have done so far: updated the PSX, re-calibrated the saitek pro flight system in windows and set the neutral zone to 5 in PSX. I use the FSX as a scenery generator. When i compare the manual flying with the pmdg 747, it is still to sensitive but less than in the PSX...I know that the hardware of saitek may not be the best, but I don't want to spend so much more money for a new yoke when I have already one. So it would be great if anyone finds the time to assist me here...
Regards,
Simon
Hello,

have you checked the flight control movements on the EICAS? Do they move smoothly with your Saitek, and do they reach full deflection when your Saitek is fully deflected?

Regards,

|-|ardy
Hello,
thanks for your answer! I had the same idea, so i checked it. The conrols deflect immediately. And after about one zwo thirds the have reached max aileron deflection. Afterwards only the spoiler move. The problem is, that they move to quick. I tried it with a friend and colleague today. He payed attention to the status display and saw the problem: When you have to correct your flight path, you easily get a full deflection, which must be corrected again...As a consequence with a few knots gusts the a/c is hardly flyable in short final...
« Last edit by Hardy Heinlin on Sat, 10 Jan 2015 11:21:02 +0000. »
Did you also try null zones of 0, 1, 2, 3?

Remember that "null zone" is not really the best name. It is more like a "step size" setting. If it is null, PSX gets the full resolution of the yoke, which may cause constant small movements (jitter) if the yoke is not best quality. If it is 500, you convert the yoke into a switch. In between you get steps. You want the smallest null zone that does not cause constant jitter. Good quality yokes can usually do 0 or 1, start there.

And look, indeed, only at the flight control input indicators in the top-left of the window. Everything else depends on too many aircraft systems to be really useful.

Hoppie
To be precise:

It is a neutral zone value for axes (for pots that self-center, e.g. aileron, elevator, rudder).

It is a resolution value for sliders (for pots that don't self-center, e.g. throttles).

|-|
hi
I have the same yoke and rudder setup, and until now my neutral zone was set to 10 for the elevator and airleons, and I to had found it to sensitive.
The yoke deflects 45 degrees on either side and when looking on the deflection icon on the top of the screen it showed a deflection of 90 degrees either side.
so just tried with a value of 500 in the box and now the 90 degrees ar reached when 45 degrees of deflection on the yoke is achieved.
I do not know ofcourse how the real one feels like.
gonna try some flights with this setting.
the drawback will be the nul zone being to large I supose.
ivo
it seems that for me, no pilot, 0 in the elevator box and 350 in the airleon box is the best solution.
a value greater then 0 for the elevators feels slugish and there is a delay in response.
ivo
We are mostly interested in whether your "feel" agrees with the technical advice to have your yoke calibrated (null zones, OS calibration where available) so that the PSX control indicator in the top-left of the windshield reaches 100% deflection exactly when your yoke reaches 100% deflection. When you have the setup for 100-100 this way, your simulated control surfaces will move as designed and the aerodynamic aircraft behaviour will be as designed.

Now if your yoke isn't linear, and deflects slowly near the null zone and a lot near the end stops or otherwise, you may get unlikely effects.

But until now common opinion has been that PSX responds very accurately to yoke inputs ("as in the real thing") provided that the yoke has been calibrated 100-100. This may not yield the same aerodynamics as other simulators produce.

Hoppie
Yes. You now have a correct simulation of what a real 747-400 does with its external control surfaces.

Hoppie
Good morning.

I'm using the Saitek Proflight as well and this thread actually helped me to get my ailerons running properly.

However, I'm still having problems with the Saitek Throttle.

If someone of the other Saitek-Users could kindly refer to my thread regarding the throttle issue: http://aerowinx.com/forum/topic.php?id=3025 and give some advice on setting up the Saitek throttles?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Best regards,

Toto
« Last edit by HAJTWR on Sun, 12 Jul 2015 06:58:19 +0000. »

Page: 1

Old 744 Forum is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software