Old 744 Forum

Archived posts

yosemite installation troubles

Page: 1

Author Post
anyone got any idea what to do about a java runtime error message? The latest java version is installed on my mid 2010 macbook pro with Yosemite. I have tried reinstalling the Aerowinx program and a reinstallation of Java but to no avail.
Sorry to hear that.

Which Java version are you using?

Are you using the developer version?

Please check this hint:
http://aerowinx.com/forum/topic.php?post=23122#post23122
Java developper kit solved the problem. The program appears to run now without problems.
Today I took the plunge and upgraded my 2009 15" MacBook Pro from Maverick to Yosemite. I also installed the Java package as suggested in the 'hint' from Hardy.

I'm still getting only around 20-30fps. Any other thoughts what I could try?

Thanks

Jeroen
"Still"? Did you have higher frame rates before?

Are you sure your'e using the JDK version as recommended, instead of the JRE version?

Regards,

|-|ardy
Hello Hardy,

I understand that I am using Macbook that does not meet minimum criteria (2.26GHz, 4 GB RAM). However, when I used OS X 10.6 I had frame rates averaging 30-40 fps (very smooth and flyable).

With updating to OS X 10.10 (currently at version 10.10.2) I have frame rates averaging 7-30 fps (it gets lower, when flying in clouds).

I am using Java 8 Update 31 (would that be JDK or JRE)?

Thanks,
Hello Andrej,

when PSX is in clouds, the frame rate should rather rise than fall, if there is a change at all.

For performance, there are other things to consider. See page 69: "notes to optimize your graphic performance on slow computers"

Each Java version provides a JDK package (developer kit) and a JRE package (without developer kit). Try to download the JDK instead of the JRE, if possible.

Regards,

|-|ardy
Hardy Heinlin wrote
"Still"? Did you have higher frame rates before?

Are you sure your'e using the JDK version as recommended, instead of the JRE version?

Still, as in before I started the upgrade. Since the upgrade no, low frame rates. Yes, I have installed the JDK package. Anything else I could/should try?

Thanks
Jeroen
Hello Hardy,

thank you for the tips and reply. I have followed them and performance has improved (will test further).

I have downloaded the JDK version but have not installed it. Just wondering, if I have JRE version, will it overwrite files (just like your updates of Aerowinx.jar file)? Or will JDK version take precedence over the JRE version (given the fact that it has developer kid)?

Hardy Heinlin wrote
when PSX is in clouds, the frame rate should rather rise than fall, if there is a change at all.

To be honest, I noticed quite the opposite, whenever I am in clouds FPS drop(the outside view gets shaded).

Nonetheless, thanks for your help and suggestions!

Cheers,
So I've double checked that I have indeed installed the JDK version, which I have.

On my 15" MacBook Pro, once in stable flight with a subframe with the two NDs showing I get around 40fps. but as soon as I start manoeuvring a bit, say change the heading, the framerate drops to around 20fps. that is beginning to take a bit of a toll on how smooth everything looks.

I see an average CPU load of 50 - 80% when running PSX

It's definitely much slower then under Maverick.

When looking only at say a subframe of the P6 panel, (all static) its around 60 fps.

I've look at the PSX manual for the various performance optimisation tricks and worked around the various Yosemite settings as well, but that has not done improved.

In fact, all my other programs/apps seem to running without any problems.

I suppose I could try and install PSX and Java all from scratch and see if that helps.

Anybody any other suggestions I could try
Andrej, to get a clean comparison, please try this: Fly over an ocean with A/P in SPD | HDG SEL | ALT. Wait till everything's stabilized. Then go to Instructor > Situation > Weather > Global and generate/remove some clouds. Don't change the aircraft status, just change the cloud status.

Jeroen, is Yosemite doing anything special with your macbook's energy saving setting?

Regards,

|-|ardy
Hardy Heinlin wrote
Jeroen, is Yosemite doing anything special with your macbook's energy saving setting?

No, pretty much default settings. I don't think anything has changed.
Jeroen
I mean, in the background, not visible to the user. I remember there were complaints about some macbooks getting too hot.
Hardy Heinlin wrote
I mean, in the background, not visible to the user. I remember there were complaints about some macbooks getting too hot.

No, nothing like that, so far as I have noticed.
Jeroen
Hello Hardy,

will try you suggestion, but may I use one of your presaved situations (such as Training - 001 - Starting Polar navigation mode.situ) or should I create a new one?

Hardy Heinlin wrote
Andrej, to get a clean comparison, please try this: Fly over an ocean with A/P in SPD | HDG SEL | ALT. Wait till everything's stabilized. Then go to Instructor > Situation > Weather > Global and generate/remove some clouds. Don't change the aircraft status, just change the cloud status.

Cheers,
Whatever you like. The point is to keep the aircraft status constant while just changing the in-cloud/off-cloud status.

|-|
Hey Hardy,

just a quick progress report. Flew at various FLs, but as desired: SPD | HDG SEL | ALT were on (L and C A/P and A/T; both F/D on as well). So far, there is a slight change of FPS (decrease when in clouds). I am talking about 2-3 fps (which is not a significant change).

That made me wonder, why whilst on approach using real weather the FPS did swing. I turned on turbulence (so far only tested two settings: none and severe) and that made the difference (drop from high 20s / 30 fps to low 10s).

I will investigate further and keep you posted.

Cheers,
Hello Hardy,

sorry to bring this older thread up again, but I have decided to revert back to OS 10.6. The PSX is much smoother and I can use my secondary (and much larger) display.

Given the fact that my computer should not even run PSX (all up-to-date), I am so happy and grateful! :)

Thanks again for all your hard work.

Cheers,
Great! :-)

Cheers,

|-|ardy
Jeroen, what FPS have you set in PSX? also, what are the display settings in PSX? Could this be a graphic thing....?

Bring the laptop to Mumbai when you come next, we can try and troubleshoot it -

Ive not upgraded to Yosemite on any of our macs in the studio -

That was me complaining that the laptop started heating up when running PSX .. :-)

fc
Hi Farrokh,
Everything is fine since I got my new 15" Retina brand new MacBook Pro. Running with the latest Java version too, at over 60 fps!
Jeroen

Page: 1

Old 744 Forum is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software