Old 744 Forum

Archived posts

PSX_Earth: The End Is Near...

Page: 1

Author Post
« Last edit by martin on Sun, 04 Jan 2015 11:54:59 +0000. »
:( :( :( :( :(

<DEEP sigh> Like the song says, "You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone".

Whilst I do use FSX when vlying (when I want to take outside screenshots), I have come to rely on PSX Earth for everyday "scenery lite", as it were (notably when taxying). That Google should, at a whim, decide to withdraw support in this way only adds to my increasing suspicion that they're interested solely in increasing profit and don't in the least care about their users.

But mostly I feel for you, Martin, in having spent time developing the app for the benefit of this community, and now face having the rug pulled out from underneath you. Huge thanks for your work, which I have every intention of enjoying until they finally pull the plug on us. 8)

Cheers,

Brian
brian747 wrote
That Google should, at a whim, decide to withdraw support in this way only adds to my increasing suspicion that they're interested solely in increasing profit and don't in the least care about their users.

This does not seem to be the case. Google's announcement reveals that the technology they used is out of date, insecure and will soon not be supported by some browsers. They also hint that a replacement may be under development. Whether applications such as PSX Earth could be easily updated for the new platform is unclear at this stage.

Cheers,

Thank you for the clarification, Garry, although I have to admit that I am not entirely reassured. :?

It seems we must keep our fingers crossed for a happy outcome, and sooner rather than later.

Cheers,

Brian
I notice that in the FlightRadar24 app, if you select the 3D option for a target aircraft you get a Google-Earth view with smooth movement, and that the view banks as the aircraft turns..

I don't think it includes terrain, but might be wrong..

On another point I know that many full-flight sims now use Google images with banked turns included.

One day, maybe. Then I can trash all this expensive add-ons...!

Brit
This site seems to offer an alternative to GE plugin.

https://cesiumjs.org/2015/01/27/Migrating-from-Earth-to-Cesium/

Perhaps a solution to allow us to continue flying as with Google Earth?

Guy
That is in fact what I am currently looking into...
No promises, though! :D

Cheers,
Martin
The story continues...

Cheers,
Martin
Google Chrome users: Be advised that you have probably lost the Google Earth plugin already now.

Details here.

Cheers,
Martin

Page: 1

Old 744 Forum is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software