Old 744 Forum

Archived posts

Screenshots of your PSX sim ?

Page: « < 1 2 3 4 >

Author Post
As there are some pictures of my sims on my web page, I'll just put a link to them here.

ftp://ftp.kingmont.com/pictures/flight-sim/

I've not implemented PSX on those installations as we are going to be moving. and I've been trying to donate them to the C.A.P or a museum (with no luck so far!)

PSX will get installed in a new setup once we get relocated someplace.

jj
« Last edit by 400guy on Sun, 08 Mar 2015 17:07:18 +0000. »
I started with two 24" 1920x1200 displays, then upgraded one to a 27" 2560x1440 screen. In order to avoid melting my GPU, X-Plane is limited to 'half refresh rate' by nVidia Inspector.

The higher resolution enabled me to no longer have an overlap of the X-Plane window with the PSX server and enlarge the server window too - win, win! :D ;) I only use two different layouts, one for take-off/landing (PFD as big as I could make it and in the middle of the screen) and one for cruise on the primary display.

On the second, smaller monitor I have four main layouts. The first two are /o-landing
& cruise, third one for engine startup, fourth is a view of the complete overhead.

Enough talk, two pictures (original size) - and yes, I changed the time in PSX to have daylight for landing...

Take-Off/Landing:
User posted image

Cruise:
User posted image

Cheers,
Bernd
User posted image

This is my desktop Sim. The large monitor is 40 inches, the overhead of 22 inches. The monitor on the right has 19 inches. As I have a HOTAS joystick, I have something rebuilt.
I'm flying without external visuals, because I am fascinated by the interplay between the instruments. Also, I fly almost exclusively at night, so the exterior is not missing in the PSX.
With Visual I fly - soon - in my 777 home cockpit.

User posted image
Hello Skino!

Looks like you already have the "cockpit of the future", even featuring the dog, that's here to prevent the pilot from touching anything!
Also glad the extra 200$ from the MCP sale enabled you to get some nice stuff...
Also glad the extra 200$ from the MCP sale enabled you to get some nice stuff...

???
I have only provides contact between buyer and seller. The seller is here not a member and therefore can not post. I have it does not make money. That was just a help for a friend. Is also evident in the thread.
Having thus far used PSX with a 21" iMac coupled to an 11" MacBook Air I'm now looking to put together something more immersive. Looking through this thread I think the touchscreen option would be the most cost effective route.

Is anyone able to advise on how to go about doing this? I have questions such as:
Which monitors (size/make) are recommended?
How much physical space do I need, ideally?
How do you judge the positions of monitors and how do you fix them there? Is a simple table enough or is a more complex substructure needed?

For now my goal is to have a life-size PFD/ND console with all the surrounding instruments, and have the centre console(s) also life size. I might compromise on the right side PFD/ND and leave it off or make it smaller if space is an issue. I'd also like to have a larger monitor (or projector?) for visuals, placed further away to give more of a sense of depth. Perhaps this (or the right PFD area) could double as an overhead panel for now, as I don't trust myself to hang something securely in that position!

I was tempted just to bolt things on to what I'm currently using but figured it would be better to plan properly, take some time, and end up with something I really like rather than a hotch-potch, so any ideas or help most gratefully received. (I don't have a dedicated room for this - it's got to fit into a corner of a room used for other purposes.)

Many thanks,

Martin
A small update to my system, after adding one more display and slightly more computing power. :D

(Click on the image for a larger version!)

User posted image

(Note that the lower part of the center pedestal is still there, the display below the FMCs just doesn't show brightly on the photo.)

Monitor sizes are 24'' (center lower/middle/top), 19'' (left+right lower/top) and 13'' (right bottom corner).

Markus
Wow, looks great! :)
Quick reply. 8) Thanks!
Beautiful!!!!
Markus Vitzethum wrote
A small update to my system, after adding one more display and slightly more computing power. :D

Dear Markus,

that's one sick setup! :mrgreen: :shock: 8) 8) You sir, have given me an inspiration to build me a home cockpit. :)

Could be so kind, and give us a technical description (how many computers, set-up) are needed for such creation? Since this is an update, it would be nice to know what has changed.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Hey, thanks, Andrej!

> You have given me an inspiration to build me a home cockpit.

Actually, many moons ago, I promised my wife to never ever built a home cockpit, but slowly, one monitor after the other arrived ... :twisted: Technically, it is not a cockpit yet, just computers and monitors...

> Could be so kind, and give us a technical description (how many computers, set-up)
> are needed for such creation? Since this is an update, it would be nice to know what has
> changed.

Sure I can. The main change is that I upgraded from one to - now - two "main" computers with the computing power to run FSX. They are i5s with a GTX670 and GTX960 card, respectively.

The i5-4690 3.9 GHz with GTX960 is new. It drives the "visuals", running FSX. The trick is using a free software named SoftTH (for Software Triple Head) to run FSX across the 3 monitors of different size.

The older i5 is the PSX main server. Previously, I used PSX one three computers for the main panel, now it's one computer with 3 screens side by side.

The overhead panel and the center pedestal are by PSX running on older computers (Centrino for the overhead, a laptop + 13'' screen for the center pedestal).

So, last year, I had one powerful computer for the center screens running PSX and FSX, and old second hand computers drawing the displays for the left and right screens (see first contribution in this thread.)

Now, I have two powerful machines, each powering 3 displays (3 for FSX, 3 for PSX). The low power computer runs the overhead now. No change on the laptop for center pedestal.

Hope this helps. Or do you need a nice little diagram? ;)

Best regards,
Markus
Dear Markus,

thanks you for your time and effort to explain the set up. So basically, you have three computers running this (2 middle end i5s, and one laptop). Is that correct?

I will definitely look into the SoftTH. This is quite interesting, as I have a couple of monitors but I am planning to get few more (plan is to have at least four). Speaking of the monitors, are they touch sensitive or all your clicking and pushing is done via a mouse?

Did you build a monitor holder or are they stacked at different levels (like on table and a shelf)?

I planned to start with a single computer (i7; most likely with two gpus), but your set up of two i5s is pretty interesting as well. Let's face it, these will be used for three things only (PSX, FSX, and Falcon BMS), so I have to consider all facts and options. :)

Currently I have an older MacBook (grandpa from 2008) and I my frames-per-second move between 18 - 40. Given the fact that it should not run it, I am more than happy.

Nonetheless, thank you very much for your time and explanation! :)

Cheers,
Below is part of a prior message.

As I continue to have a problem finding a good home locally for my simulators I thought that let the folks on this forum know that they are available to you if you can come and get them ! (mostly FREE except for your time and labor)!

Problem is that they are located near Sacramento Ca.

EMAIL me at jj@kingmont.com if you are interested.

[quote=400guy]
As there are some pictures of my sims on my web page, I'll just put a link to them here.

ftp://ftp.kingmont.com/pictures/flight-sim/

<snip>[/quote=400guy]
Hi Andrej,

> thanks you for your time and effort to explain the set up. So basically, you
> have three computers running this (2 middle end i5s, and one laptop). Is that
> correct?

thanks a lot for your nice words.

Actually, the current setup is powered by four computers. You are right about the i5s and the laptop, and there is one more (1 low-cost Intel Centrino).

So:
- FSX by one i5
- PSX main panel by one i5
- PSX overhead panel by one Intel Centrino
- PSX center pedestal by a Core2 Duo notebook + external 13'' monitor.

> I will definitely look into the SoftTH.

As far as I know, SoftTH works in DX9 mode. So, I'm note sure about P3D which is (I think) DX10. SoftTH is particularly nice if you have different size monitors like me.

> Speaking of the monitors, are they touch sensitive or all your clicking
> and pushing is done via a mouse?

No, just simple monitors. Touch would be nice but not done due to cost. But I can move the mouse across all computers with just a single mouse.

> Did you build a monitor holder or are they stacked at different levels
>(like on table and a shelf)?

Right now they are stacked at different levels on a sufficiently large table. A wooden board is holding the three FSX monitors and huge pile of books (unread PhD thesises :D ) the overhead.
The overhead panel will probably move to a wall mounted holder soon.
I'm note sure about what to do with the center pedestal (seperate table right now).

> but your set up of two i5s is pretty interesting as well.

The nice thing about two i5s: you can connect more monitors to it. Actually, the GTX960 I have in one i5 can power up to 4 monitors (I have 3 connected). This is amazing. :)

Markus
« Last edit by Markus Vitzethum on Sun, 21 Jun 2015 16:47:24 +0000. »
Markus Vitzethum wrote
... and huge pile of books (unread PhD thesises :D ) the overhead.

That's fine. One of my PhD statements was that a PhD thesis is there to be written, not to be read. :mrgreen:

Hoppie
Hi Jeroen,

> written, not to be read.

how true. :D And somehow, I knew that you would not miss my comment about the PhD thesis. :lol:

Markus
Signed for life ...
A small extension for my Softpit; Sidewall with Tiller (from an old USB steering wheel) and a monitor for my EFB:

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image
Personally, I just love touchscreens as a way to go if you want to avoid extensive hardware integration. I find they work extremely well with PSX.

The opening image on the "PSX tips" is my setup, which is all touch. What is really nice is that it all works! Every switch, button cb etc. I use two I7 PCs for this, each with two fairly fast graphic cards.

I also spend at least half of my time with a P3D aircraft such as a Pilatus Porter splattered over the screens any which way, and then connect it to another PC via WIDEVIEW for the scenery, which is a 3-projector setup, and I then "muck about" in ORBX scenery or similar.
Sometimes it's nice to head off into the hills!

Peter
« Last edit by Britjet on Fri, 26 Jun 2015 21:46:48 +0000. »
Peter-

Whilst slightly off-topic, I too enjoy exploring Orbx scenery low and slow. I recently discovered Sibwings' An-2. So completely different from anything in the Western world, yet an incredible simulation in P3d. Totally splendid.

Best- C
Thanks Carl. I will look at that. Nice to see you back on the forum..

Peter.
Hi,
what is the main big display you are using ? Is it a large monitor or a TV screen ?

Thx,
Jan

Skino wrote
A small extension for my Softpit; Sidewall with Tiller (from an old USB steering wheel) and a monitor for my EFB:

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

Page: « < 1 2 3 4 >

Old 744 Forum is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software